PDA

View Full Version : Exporting Maya characters to Unreal Tournament.

stevertigo
03-10-2006, 02:45 PM
I'm exporting a rigged character from Maya to Unreal Ed. The mesh is coming in and when I run the anim in Unreal, the character distorts like elastic then snaps back to finished position. I have a control rig on the character, and the pole vectors for the arms and knees are poly cubes. Would this be read by unreal as part of the character geometry and try to include that in the anim? I have tried replacing the poly pole vectors with locators but to no avail, the same happens. I'v efollowed tutes from the net and books. They all say that anything that is part of the rig will be ignored by Unreal when it captures the animation using Actor X. If anyone has experienced this or has any hints I'd be very grateful. Cheers

darkjedi1929
03-19-2006, 03:04 PM
hmmm...never worked with Unreal before, but as a rule of the thumb, I generally prefer to final out my animations, bake them to the bones and then just export the bones and the bound mesh. That way, you minimize any and every risk (tho the anim curves get real messy) while exporting the character to the game engine.

stevertigo
03-21-2006, 03:55 PM
Seems the extraneous rig items, like control arms, and footlocks were causing the skeleton to become misaligned when it got into the Unreal Ed. Very , ahem, "quirky" package to say the least..:)

Had to strip it down to bare essentials and just animate with simpler controls. Seems to work OK now, altho not as sophisticated. Cheers

darkjedi1929
03-22-2006, 06:20 AM
Dude, you can have as complex a rig as you want, only while exporting, just bake your animation to the bones, delete all constraints and controls and then export....no need to strip down all those little cute controls you spent hours of your company time making.....;)

JFFORTIN
03-25-2006, 09:57 PM
another thing unreal have a max bones of 75 (not sure 75 is the max) too so make sure u dont go over that and u have to bake ur animation,and delete all extra controller u have in ur scene just keep ur mesh and ur bake skeleton
Cheers

CGTalk Moderation
03-25-2006, 09:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.