PDA

View Full Version : muscle, bones, and nerve image for c&c

ernia
03-10-2006, 05:32 AM
Hi all,

Just finished a late-night render. C & C welcome.

It's a model of the piriformis muscle which runs over the sciatic nerve. This muscle turns your leg out and back. Right-handed golfers use it a lot on the downswing. Piriformis syndrome is where this muscle gets inflamed and irritates the sciatic nerve, which is sandwiched between the hip bone and the muscle.

I modeled the bones and muscle in zbrush, where I textured the bones.
The muscle was textured in c4d, and the nerve was modeled and textured in c4d as well. Rendered in c4d. A very small amount of photoshop cloning and that's it.

http://www.mplusxdesign.com/c4d/piriformis_ps.jpg

thanks,
ernia

marshalartist
03-10-2006, 11:10 AM
Very nice work ernia, beautiful lighting and textures, my only crit would be that the transparency on the muscle on the left looks a bit odd,

Peter

bobzilla
03-10-2006, 11:56 AM
Very nice. I wouldn't mind seeing on tutorial on some of these medical illustrations I see around here. I don't do them, myself, but I find them very interesting...and informative.

Yes, like Peter said, unless it's an optical illusion, there's some weird transparency on the muscle on the left side of the image.

JoelOtron
03-10-2006, 12:23 PM
Excellent work there Ernia.

Wish I had Z-brush when I modelled my pelvis. Took eons for me to get it right. Very nice surface detail. Muscle texture looks great.

escondar
03-10-2006, 12:54 PM
Great image!

Superb modelling and very nice texturing/bump.

I finally am taking the time to learn Z- brush so along with C4d I can do sweet things like this more easily.

Tank_3D_Attack
03-10-2006, 02:39 PM
Very interesting piece there Ernia! Looks great. The bones look quite convincing :)

jsls
03-10-2006, 02:51 PM
Thats a great pelvis you got there, the bones look great! The lighting is very convincing, nice and clean! Great work! :thumbsup:

ernia
03-10-2006, 04:38 PM
Very nice work ernia, beautiful lighting and textures, my only crit would be that the transparency on the muscle on the left looks a bit odd,

Peter

Isn't that funny: I intentionally ghosted the muscle and nerve on the left side so as not to draw too much attention away from the point of interest on the right side. But as it turns out, it draws attention away from the intended focus. That's why these boards like cgtalk are so valuable--to get good feedback.

I've rendered one with no transparency in the muscle and nerve. It does look better. Thanks Marshalartist and others for the suggestion.

Wow, thanks guys. I appreciate the comments :)

http://www.mplusxdesign.com/c4d/piriformis_notrans.jpg

ernia

bobzilla
03-10-2006, 06:18 PM
Oddy enough, that does look better. Having that part tranparent made you think, "Ooo what's that over there."

Great work.

marcom
03-10-2006, 10:30 PM
very nice, indeed!

Joseppi
03-10-2006, 11:42 PM
Ernia,

Very classy illustration. Subtle and effective light direction. Do you have any traditional studio lighting and photography experience? This looks like you are melding a variety of talents, which happen to be executed in 3D right now...

Joe

PS: So THAT'S what that bone I fractured years ago looks like... a winter sledding accident... : )

Erik Heyninck
03-11-2006, 06:08 AM
Wowww...if this kind of example had existed when I had to study anatomy at artschool, things would have been much easier!

Is it possible to see the same scene from another angle? Side, Front?

I want to show it to my mother who has an attack of "sciatique" as it's known around here.

AdamT
03-11-2006, 02:13 PM
Very good! :beer:

Cactus Dan
03-11-2006, 02:36 PM
Howdy,

Excellent work!

Adios,
Cactus Dan

ooo
03-11-2006, 02:42 PM
Great job Ernia :thumbsup:
So Zbrush is indeed very usefull for this kind of organic modelling. Very clean textures and rendering! :)

odo

ernia
03-11-2006, 03:18 PM
Wow, it's like Christmas morning around here--all these nice comments :)

Thanks to everyone!

Joseppi: "Do you have any traditional studio lighting and photography experience? This looks like you are melding a variety of talents . . ."
Nope. No professional experience. But I think after working in the printing business for twelve years, some of that expensive advertising imagery sort of sunk into my subconsious mind. Seen a boatload of it. As for you accident--not sure but snowmen might have that bone in a different place ;)

Erik: "Is it possible to see the same scene from another angle? Side, Front?"
Sorry Erik, wysiwyg because of time constraint. Perhaps if I have time to fully finish it. Sorry to hear about your mother's "sciatique". I've learned that sciatica, unless you really have a vertebral problem (slipped disk, bulging disk, etc.), is probably caused by muscle problems (spasm, overuse, underuse, etc.). Could be a simple solution there.

Thx Adam.

Hey Cactus! Long time no see. Thx for the comment :)

ooo: Yes zbrush is VERY useful for this sort of modeling. It's very intuitive, almost like playing with clay at times. And thx :)

I've made another render which fixes the "dislocated hip". The lighting has been modified slightly, very slightly. I'll exchange out the image later today.

thanks again folks,
ernia

Triker
03-11-2006, 03:42 PM
Looks terrific, only the nerve has a metallic look to it.

ernia
03-11-2006, 10:00 PM
Ok, I updated the image now. Adjusted the lighting a bit, fixed the hip socket, and de-metalized the nerve.

thanks for your interest folks,

ernia

CGTalk Moderation
03-11-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.