PDA

View Full Version : tips for textured lines?

voxie
03-10-2006, 02:32 AM
Hello everyone *waves* first post! :)

I really need some advice, please...

I haven't been drawing much for the past five years or so, but when I do, I usually use Pilot drawing pens, sizes 01 to 05, working on A4. But lately, I've been very unhappy with my art. I think I need some crit to help me out.

I work with textured lines (as in different widths etc.). And I find I have to go over my pencil drawings over and over, and over again, just to get the look right. They look okayish on paper - but sometimes this results in the lines looking a little over-cooked. And I'm unsatisfied with the final look of my inked lines when I scan them into Photoshop.

Have a look at the attachment and you'll see what I mean. (Plz don't laugh at the bad skirts & backgrounds, it's a rushed piece for a webcomic hehe) - www.mamezine.org.uk/images/shemail/prev.jpg (http://www.mamezine.org.uk/images/shemail/prev.jpg)

I really want to clean up the look.

I've been tempted to try brush pens, but the closest thing I've touched to those are the Berol felt tip brush pens back when I was 13!

Perhaps I should scan in at a higher resolution? (150 DPI min. usually for webwork)
Or work on bigger paper? (expensive)

I didn't think it'd come to this, but I've been out of the artistic waters for way too long... now that I'm getting back into it, I find I'm using the same techniques I've used since secondary school! I think I need some professional help.

Is there an easier way to make beautifully smooth lines, minus the cleaning-up (that takes hours!) in Photoshop?

~Rhoda AKA Voxie

CGTalk Moderation
03-10-2006, 02:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.