PDA

View Full Version : AE Project needs help

Ophly
12-16-2002, 10:49 PM
Alright, this is actually first post on this board, yay me, anywho I have a question. Im doing this project for my final in my multimedia class.

I have a picture of a house in the snow, I took the pic and cut it in half in photoshop then imported the two halves into AE. My assignment is to use AE's 3D tools to animate something. So Im animating Happy Holidays. Here is where my problem is. I want my letters to come from behind the house (aka from between the two layers i cut the house into)and land in front of the house. Is there a way to make my letter layers switch from being sandwiched between the two house layers to being in front of the house layers?

I hope thats not too confusing.

Please forgive me, im a n00b and not very familiar with AE...i know there are people here who could wipe the floor with me but please humor me. Thanks

-Ophly

Ian Jones
12-17-2002, 02:34 AM
There probably is a way, but I'm a noob too. Think about duplicating the house layers and change their visibility. Kind of a hack way to do it, but it would allow you to have the house ontop or under the text layer depending on which one was visible.

ratbaggy
12-17-2002, 05:00 AM
you say it's for class, well maybe you should have payed more attention to what the lecturer taught you!! :)

if your doing it using 3D layers, you should be able to physically bring the text infront of the 'land' layer. I haven't spent much time using 3D in AE, I'll have a quick look and get back to you.

:)

froggyplat
12-18-2002, 08:21 AM
ian's solution sounds right to me, but if not...

duplicate your text layer and put it on top. parent it to the text layer sandwiched between the other two layers. then do a 1 frame dissolve at the critical point between the two text layers.

if this isn't what you want, post a pic of your comp and maybe we can figure something else out.

arvid
12-22-2002, 03:03 AM
hmm.

first of all, enable "advanced 3d" then enable 3D for all layers in question by clicking the 3d box for each layer, now its a simple matter of animating the Z value to make it appear behind and then land in front of your house.

Strange assignment though :) 3D in afx more or less suck, I dont take it very seriously although it's an improvement over the old Basic3D effect ;)

tchook
01-10-2003, 08:22 AM
your critic for 3d layers is a bit tough ,opacity?
this is is more than a an improvement from the basic 3d plug in.
i ve seen great adds video clips and movies made with this technique.
the fact that you can take the camera from a scene and link it to several
camera based plugs is also awsome.

i m not a big 3 d-everithing-turn-loop4times-zoom-inside-the-eye-freak but
it realy helps.
for example to set up layers in order to make a pan or trav in a landscape
or to stick a matte painting with several layers which are not in the same
plane of perspective.
i ve done this (a looooooong time ago) with ae 3 and it was painfull

you should try it
:beer:

wookiee
01-10-2003, 02:43 PM
Same, I just cut a logo into about 10 pieces and wanted to throw a camera through them moving the pieces about to give depth and finish with the logo together. Absoloute nightmare to animate, hope they do something for the next version.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.