PDA

View Full Version : Premiere Export Huge File Size

Tarkus
03-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Hi, im new to using Premiere and i have a question about exporting to a QuickTime format. I made a small movie with a targa sequence (250 .tga's each 1MB), some minor color correction, and a title at the top left. When i export that out to a .mov file with the defualt settings, it takes a very long time to render, and also makes a very large file size (110mb) wich is crazy for a 10 second clip. any premiere users out there that can help me out here? thanks in advance guys.

Cheers. :thumbsup:

scrimski
03-09-2006, 08:04 PM
No, don't sounds abnormal large. Could be even more. What codec do you use?

Tarkus
03-09-2006, 08:11 PM
no? so u think its normal for 10 seconds to be a 110MB .mov file?? iv seen some demo reels and other videos that are only 12mb and at least 1:00 min.. im just wondering how i can change settings or whatever i need to do to decrease the file size..

shadow
03-09-2006, 09:59 PM
For Quicktime I suggest using H.264 (QT7 only) or Sorenson 3. But ONLY as a format for the internet. For your final (master) version I guess uncompressed is the only way you want to go, because your sourcematerial is TGA. At SD resolution it's around 1.5 GB per minute.

In my opinion (and I know this opinion is shared by many others) the best method for compressing is to render it out of premiere unccompressed and then use Quicktime Pro, Soronson Squeeze or Cleaner for the compressed version.

scrimski
03-10-2006, 06:55 AM
no? so u think its normal for 10 seconds to be a 110MB .mov file??
No, I even think it is too little. I export movies for Encore as uncompressed QT and they are much bigger, around 40 MB per second, 230 to 240 MB a minute.
Once again, it all depends on compression, on the used codec. You didn't wrote for which purpose you wanted to export nor with wich codec(the settings if you want to call it so)you have been exporting so far, and not even the size of your movie.

Sorenson3 sounds OK for web presentation, reducing the framerate in the compression does a lot. Reduce the size to a small but visible amount, decrease the quality. It's a process of trial and error.

JaMo
05-08-2006, 01:22 AM
im rendering out uncompressed in premiere 6 and i am getting a 9.5 gig file size for 3 min 52 sec.

my question is that what is recomended if i want to out put this to a dvd for a master copy to copy over to vhs. also my computer wont play the 9.5 gig file. is that normal?

one other question when i did my compositing i used AE 5.5 and rendered out to 720 X 486 but premiere wants to put it to 720 X 480. since im going to output this to tv which resolution is correct?

CGTalk Moderation
05-08-2006, 01:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.