PDA

View Full Version : Character/Environment: Strange encounters in deep sea

Baldasseroni
12-16-2002, 09:53 PM
Hi, I completed my work in progress scuba diver located at :

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31239

rigging him and giving him a ground and some company ... just to not let him feel too much alone down there, eheh

Done in Max 5.0 and Photoshop

Hope u like it, c & c are welcome :)

http://www.eklettica.com/images/artworks/encounters.jpg

Ale

Caravaggio
12-16-2002, 10:38 PM
Sweeeeeeeeet.

Lot of light coming back off that suit, he must be far down.

Jeffo
12-16-2002, 10:39 PM
image looks great and all.. but you cant see your beautiful textures!! :)

awesome work!
:thumbsup:

Agraba
12-16-2002, 10:44 PM
Impressive, i like the fact that you made the color blue shout out of your image loud and clear, it gives the image a good personality.

Volker
12-16-2002, 10:56 PM
Looking good!

The background looks a little flat though.
Maybe some variation in color to give a little more depth?

~Zach

ThirdEye
12-16-2002, 11:13 PM
Ottimo lavoro Ale, c'Ŕ parecchia personalitÓ nell'immagine!
Awesome work Ale, there's a lot personality in the pic! :thumbsup:

raden
12-16-2002, 11:14 PM
Hello there Ale,

:buttrock:GREAT:buttrock:

I really admire your work here. As I see on your WIP you did such an excellent modelling and texturing. It looks authentic and richly detailed:thumbsup: The finish render here like I said it's GREAT!. The Jellyfishes are wonderfull. As for crits (my own personal taste) would be the lighting. Its great but I supposed in deepsea everything wouldnt be so crisps and contrast. More like gloomy and foggylike. One more thing the composition would be more interesting if some of the creatures there are flying around on the scene, more dynamic . What do you think?

Anyway this is a showcase of such an excellent talent&skill :applause:

Looking forward to see more from you Ale:bounce:

Regards
:beer:

Stimpy
12-16-2002, 11:43 PM
wow

not much to say here on my side besides that.. love the atmosphere and the little creatures surrounding him...

excellent job.

tjbeseda
12-16-2002, 11:45 PM
cool cool....love those lights. the only thing is that his little tag on his suit seems to stand out too much. not much of a C or C...but that is all i can see :thumbsup: great work!

tomb
12-16-2002, 11:46 PM
Nice work! :thumbsup:
It reminds me of this one by Daniel Robichaud:
http://www.danielrobichaud.com/aqua.html

Corto
12-17-2002, 12:30 AM
Very Nice!!!

I Like it!!!:applause:

Obsti
12-17-2002, 12:46 AM
great work!

but maybe you could intensify the contrast between fore- and background, by turning down the environmental lights.

I think that would achieve much more atmosphere.

danbran
12-17-2002, 12:56 AM
very cool!

Is that Ed Harris in the suit? Breathing liquid oxygen? Underwater aliens? Ok, Ok...no more Abyss comments from me.

nice sense of atmosphere!

ThirdEye
12-17-2002, 01:18 AM
Daniel Robichaud is a master but I prefer Eklettica's mood and style here :thumbsup:

JBruckner
12-17-2002, 02:21 AM
Amzazing nothing more, just amazing, I love the fish thingys.

facial
12-17-2002, 02:36 AM
Hey,Eklettica. I'v see ur work before, and i got deep impression, This work is great also. Well done, Keep post more
:applause: :applause:

Vladvrz
12-17-2002, 03:33 AM
Nice looking scene. Reminds me a little of the aliens in the movie the "ABYSS". :thumbsup:

Solace
12-17-2002, 04:58 AM
Beautiful work, the vibrant blue works well.:applause:

wmendez
12-17-2002, 05:00 AM
Nice work, yes it does remind me of The Abyss.

stickyblue
12-17-2002, 05:42 AM
WOOOW , i loved those creatures hehehe

kreno
12-17-2002, 07:36 AM
hey dude... great work, I don't know if this was intentional, but I love the left most squid thinger on the right of the diver... he has a smiley face! :applause:

sanciok
12-17-2002, 08:24 AM
bellissimooo!!!!
Bel lavoro davvero!

Ayreon
12-17-2002, 09:40 AM
It great! Love the air bubbles and the creatures. Maybe add some detail to the background, but not to much, so the focus will stay on the diver and foreground elements.

Ayreon

sarfarazsoomro
12-17-2002, 09:53 AM
this is very nice ...congratullations:)

Freestyler
12-17-2002, 10:00 AM
is that from the movie The Abyss? loved that movie, with those undersea-aliens..

Baldasseroni
12-17-2002, 01:48 PM
Thanks to you all for the nice feedbacks , and i'm very happy and proud to be in the top page tumbs :)

Yes, i have no problem at all to admit that i loved "The abyss" to death and that i found great inspiration in that movie to build this scene.

I agree with those which say that the blue dominant of colour flattens the textures, but it was a necessary choice to achieve this sort of atmosphere of mistery.

Thanks to tomb for the link to Robichaud....ah...if i have had that precious reference before ! His work is amazing.

I'm also planning to make some small variations in colours in the background as someone suggested, but nothing much important, i don't want to defocus attention on the main subjects.

Ciao , Ale

Wiro
12-17-2002, 04:10 PM
That's one great model! I really like the diver's proportions...he looks heavy yet floats in the water. Some suggestions to make him look more like under water could be to lift his right foot (our left) to make it look like he's floating more, especially since he's already leaning quite alot to the left as if he's about to take a step.
You could also consider adding some more water particles...plankton, grime, fish droppings :) ...you could also break up the blue background by creating a soft particle cloud behind him instead of just using a distance fog. The prefect gradient (or even single block of color) makes it look more artificial than it has to be.
Some swirling dirt clouds around his feet could look nice too.

My biggest crit goes to the lighting though...it's really nicely done, expecially considering the amount of diffuse lighting there is down there (without GI or a skylight it's quite hard to get it right using traditionl methods). But I feel that all the blue makes it look like you rendered it b/w, then tinted in Photoshop. You *can* add color and still make it look underwater. The lantern for example should emit white light, not? In that case the suit should show some color (but still be tinted by the water). The fill lights in all shadow areas should again remain blue. In The Abyss they had these green glowing lightrods...I think it would look great if you added something like that.

In other words: fool the eye into thinking the picture is "blue" but add enough color to break it up.

Wiro

gato
12-17-2002, 04:17 PM
grat work. I just love the underwater scenes...

bravo!!!:beer:

ThirdEye
12-17-2002, 04:49 PM
@Wiro: i think that this kind of atmosphere and absence of colors are intentional. It looks more surreal and not merely realistic ;)

beyondMyth
12-17-2002, 04:49 PM
wow! i love the atomsphere and lighting!! :) this rocks :buttrock: definately a :thumbsup:

NelsonInomvan
12-17-2002, 05:41 PM
Hmmm i must say that this pic realy impressed me. The texture on the helm is very good, how did you make it whit psp ?
Is there gonna be a animation ?

Baldasseroni
12-17-2002, 07:14 PM
Wiro : About the background, the first idea was to put some shiny alien buildings far away, then i decided to make behind him a giant alien ship, not very visible...only her huge lights and a few detaild would have been visible, but then as the compositin grew up i gave up sketching it, satisfied by the whole attention dedicated to the diver and his "friends".Anyway many cg talkers said that the background is too plain, so if i will find time i promise i will make it more interesting ;)

About the compositing of the image you are not very far for the truth...the pic has been rendered in full colours, masked by a succession of a low opacity blue layer and a colour adjustament layer in PS, so the final result is (as you correctly noticed) a total desaturation followed by a colorization in blue tones.
I tried an half way, as you suggested but i was not very satisfied because the image probably gains in realism and variation, but i was loosing the feeling of surrealistic electric blue shining in the dark.
Anyway here are a couple of tries i did (i think that the first one is more close to your suggestion...)

Thanks for your detailed critics !

http://www.eklettica.com/prova.jpg

just deleting in some parts the masking layers of blue fog...

and :

http://www.eklettica.com/prova2.jpg

with just a very low opacity blue masking layer

Atmos_Fear : The textures have been made in Photoshop photoretouching and adapting photorealistic textures taken from the net

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.