View Full Version : Birail 3+ not working?
03-05-2002, 02:39 AM
Ok, I am trying to make a WWII plane out of NURBS, I got all the profiles on the main hull set up and intersected, and I want to use the Birail 3+ tool to surface part of the aircraft.
Now for some strange reason I get
// Error: mpBirailSrf1 (Mp Birail Srf Node): birail surface computation failed //
// Error: Command multiProfileBirailSurface failed. Open Script Editor for details. //
Why isn't this working? All the profiles are interesected,
I selected the profile curves and the two rail curves, and all curves are rebuilt to 3 spans, I tried it with contruction history on and off. It should work perfectly!
Can someone please tell me the error of my ways?
03-05-2002, 03:49 AM
Most likely one of the curves is not intersecting properly. I know you said they were, but it is easy to get them thrown off in the midst of building them. A good way to trouble shoot a birail is to do various birail 2's on the sections to isolate the problematic curve, then re do that one.
03-05-2002, 02:44 PM
Mm, I would probaply try to birail outlines, and if that doesn't work, check if they intersect, and maybe rebuild curves. Then, after you have birailed outlines, making the surfface, I would select isosparm, and placed it where I wanted a curve, and then <curves> -> <offset> -> <offset curve> , that would place curve where the isosparm is located. I had same kind of problem, and this fixed it, tho maybe hard way, but after all, I got it working. Of course you have to edit those new curves, but...
Hmm, sorry for bad english, and hope this helps..
03-06-2002, 03:58 AM
I've had a problem where the curves were constructed correctly and it wouldn't make a birail 3+ surface. I had about 6 profile curves that I was using to construct part of a sink I was making in NURBs. Anyway - I finally found a way around it - this problem had occured on multiple curve sets I had constructed to make this sink. So I intersected all the curves so the rail curves were divided up into seperate curves at their crossing which each of the profile curves.
I then ran a birail 2 surface between the segments which yeilded unpredictable results. So I used the boundary surface tool and worshipped it afterwards. It gave me perfect results reliably. If you need it to be one surface along the original rail curves then you can easily attach each of the boundary surfaces and they will maintain their form.
Convoluted but it came out with really nice results.
hope this helps,
03-06-2002, 07:04 AM
Yeah, I am just going to use Boundry Surfaces now, its much more predictible. I tried using Birail 2 but didn't come out as expected. But it came out perfectly with Boundry Surfaces.
Sure it takes a tiny bit longer with attatching, but at least I get better results than Birail 3+
03-06-2002, 12:03 PM
glad it worked out - love to see the results if you want to post a render at some stage.
03-06-2002, 09:55 PM
the birail 3+ tool is causing me nothing but trouble :confused:
if i use the birail 2 tool on all sorta 'segments' it works fine but if i use the birail 3+ tool to do all of them it doesnt work.
Anyway, so far three ashtrays, five cds and four pencils didnt survive. Its really drivin me nuts and i cant get it to work.
03-06-2002, 10:14 PM
post a link to the file. I'll take a look at it later tonight.
03-06-2002, 10:51 PM
thanks, i sent u a pm
01-13-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
vBulletin v3.0.5, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.