PDA

View Full Version : Wayan Brothers New animated show.

laureato di arte
03-09-2006, 01:47 PM
Wayans Brothers Create Animated Kids Shows
Wednesday March 8 6:29 PM ET

Call it Charlie Brown with a twist. Brothers Keenen Ivory, Shawn and Marlon Wayans, of "Scary Movie" and "In Living Color" fame, have created a series of animated children's shows, with books and toys to follow.

Its name: "Thugaboo."

The series of three specials will premiere on Nickelodeon, then air on the network's all-animation channel, Nicktoons, a network spokeswoman said Wednesday.

(http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12dv7hmes/M=385191.7596582.8795017.1429742/D=tv/S=31001940:LREC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1141918970/A=3285251/R=1/SIG=12buv032s/*http://altfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/6248-35208-1039-1?mpt=1141911770398618)Inspired by the Wayans brothers' favorite childhood cartoons, "Thugaboo" follows the misadventures of nine kids growing up in the inner city.

"It's like hard meets soft," Shawn Wayans told The Associated Press. "The thug is how they dress, kind of street, but they're good kids and they make the right decisions."

Three specials are planned an hourlong show and two half-hour programs centered on important times in children's lives.

The first episode, set to air in August, will have a back-to-school theme, said Nickelodeon spokeswoman Marianne Romano. The second will focus on the holidays, she said. The third, called "Don't Judge a Boo by its Cover," addresses how appearances can be misleading, Shawn Wayans said.

The aim of the specials, Marlon Wayans said in a statement, is to get kids laughing "by creating characters they can relate to while entertaining their parents at the same time."

The Wayans brothers are all parents, Shawn Wayans said.

"I wanted to make the show that I want my kids to watch," he said.

Known for their irreverent comedy, the Wayans brothers most-recent film project, "White Chicks," featured co-writers Shawn and Marlon as race-swapping, cross-dressing FBI agents. Keenen Ivory directed and co-wrote the film.

"As a parent, I think it's important for kids to have a source of entertainment that deals with life in positive and comedic ways," said Keenen Ivory Wayans.

http://us.ent4.yimg.com/entertainment.yahoo.com/images/ent/ap/20060308/la107_tv_thugaboo.sff.jpg

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/ap/20060308/114187134000.html

albedo4800hp
03-09-2006, 04:59 PM
Living color was cool everything afterwards they did apparently not too much (IMHO).

slaughters
03-09-2006, 05:16 PM
Not a huge fan of the style or look of the animated characters shown here, but with this kind of show it will be the writting which wins or looses an audience.

Kid-Mesh
03-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Looks 1000x better than South Park and we all know how successful that was and they even made the silver screen.

So considering that the Wayans have had success in the past in the realm of comedy I dont see why this shouldnt succeed. There are alot of visually appealing cartoon shows on WB, Cartoon Network and Nick but they are bombing something awful...why?

Story content sucks...I think this will do fine.

durbdk
03-09-2006, 07:41 PM
I'm so tired of the Wayans Brothers, been so long since they did anyting good....

EdHarriss
03-09-2006, 08:15 PM
- Maybe they'll bring back loveable characters like:
- Fire Marshal Bill
- Homey the Clown
- Or the "Men on Film" duo.

seven6ty
03-09-2006, 09:51 PM
This is gonna suck ass like no animated series so far has sucked ass.

laureato di arte
03-09-2006, 11:44 PM
This is gonna suck ass like no animated series so far has sucked ass.

Please elaborate..

poly-phobic
03-10-2006, 01:06 AM
Please elaborate..

no, dont encourage him.

heavyness
03-10-2006, 01:28 AM
while i like the Scary Movies and i did watch Living Color back in the day, i don't think their type of comedy will translate well over to a cartoon. they seem to be more of the prop, cross dressing comedy that only does well with live actors. most monty python sketches wouldn't be funny if they were cartoons.

...and i'm not a fan of the art style, or lack of it, in that picture. but i will give it a chance and check it out.

NeptuneImaging
03-10-2006, 02:13 AM
This is the reason why I watch less and less television these days...

seven6ty
03-10-2006, 02:19 AM
Please elaborate..

"White Chicks."

Need I say any more?

otacon
03-10-2006, 02:32 AM
Yay! the adventures of thugaboo! Maybe he will have friends named ganstaboo and pimpaboo, all from the ghettoboo!

What a stupid name for a cartoon...

NeptuneImaging
03-10-2006, 03:13 AM
Yay! the adventures of thugaboo! Maybe he will have friends named ganstaboo and pimpaboo, all from the ghettoboo!

I agree with this. I don't watch crap like this anyway...I won't even watch the boondocks regularly...

Remember Waynehead? Crappy cartoon that every kid loved...well the ones in my neighborhood... I hated it.

NeptuneImaging
03-10-2006, 03:34 AM
Data"White Chicks."

Need I say any more?

I DESPISE that movie

Bobkil
03-10-2006, 08:10 AM
Well they even got a "token white kid":rolleyes: .cant wait for all the pop culture.:rolleyes:

laureato di arte
03-10-2006, 08:47 AM
Give the guys a chance, yea it is true they may well not have been producing funny stuff like they once did, but I think it is a good thing that they are moving to the area of animation. As was mentioned before south park was entertaining, although it had bad animation and character design, so you never know. Yea the name, I think it is a silly name aswell but hopefully it wont be going with the whole sterotypical ghetto type ideas that the media seems to be obsessed with.

"It's like hard meets soft," Shawn Wayans told The Associated Press. "The thug is how they dress, kind of street, but they're good kids and they make the right decisions."

"As a parent, I think it's important for kids to have a source of entertainment that deals with life in positive and comedic ways," said Keenen Ivory Wayans."

"Don't Judge a Boo by its Cover," addresses how appearances can be misleading"

Bottom line, if they can pull this of and make it entertaining, and have positive characters that children can relate to and have important lessons within, then im all for it.

toluabisola
03-10-2006, 10:39 AM
I would be more confident in their ability to make something positive if one of the Wayans brothers wasn't trying to trademark the word "nigga" and make a clothing line from it :banghead: (picture the carnage that would ensue when non-blacks start wearing t-shirts with the word nigga on it)

Im not a fan of the Wayans brothers or anything they do (sorry, except my wife and kids) and im not confident in their ability to make something that isn't going to make me cringe or want to go look for them :twisted:

Sorry for the rant..... they just rub me the wrong way

laureato di arte
03-10-2006, 11:32 AM
I would be more confident in their ability to make something positive if one of the Wayans brothers wasn't trying to trademark the word "nigga" and make a clothing line from it :banghead: (picture the carnage that would ensue when non-blacks start wearing t-shirts with the word nigga on it)

Yea i must say i agree with you on that point there. I have always hated that stupid word and i find it foolish that so many rappers and actors use it as a term of endearment. Like I said before though, the brothers are moving into new territory, in family entertainment, so im hoping they wont be so careless with there jokes this time round, and if they stick to the positive lessons that they say will be in the show I think it will be a good thing.

toluabisola
03-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Yea i must say i agree with you on that point there. I have always hated that stupid word and i find it foolish that so many rappers and actors use it as a term of endearment. Like I said before though, the brothers are moving into new territory, in family entertainment, so im hoping they wont be so careless with there jokes this time round, and if they stick to the positive lessons that they say will be in the show I think it will be a good thing.

Lets be frank a lot of black guys use that as a term of endearment (to my shame, for a while i was no different) and while I don't want to start a debate about this subject as I prefer to talk about the potential merits of this show without going to far into the race thing, I have to point out that if his mind is ignorant enough to think this idea is cool (trademarking the word nigga) then i don't hold much hope for him getting this right.
But he might prove me wrong..... My wife and kids is a very good example of when he manages to get it right

Pentagramma
03-10-2006, 01:04 PM
"White Chicks."

Need I say any more?

One more to be avoided at all costs:

The Munsters (2006) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425273/)

:hmm:

pogonip
03-10-2006, 01:13 PM

Totally agree and will watch this sink like a rock . As the past has proven not even minorities are interested in ghetto/inner city comedies/shows on TV atleast .

seven6ty
03-10-2006, 06:12 PM
One more to be avoided at all costs:

The Munsters (2006) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425273/)

:hmm:

Oh god, I know. I cringed the first time I saw that mentioned on a long list of upcoming remakes. Like, doubley cringed.

gruvsyco
03-10-2006, 06:58 PM
I'll give it a chance. I'm always down for some new cartoon action.

NeptuneImaging
03-11-2006, 01:47 AM
I am with laureato di arte about that word. Where I live, I hear it all the time and I don't like it one bit. All of my other siblings and their friends use that word, and when they say it to me, I give the stare (the i am not taking that crap lying down stare) and they immediately aplogise. My brother used that word inadvertently and I popped him in the mouth for it. I won't even let him watch the Boondocks. I have been teaching him to speak proper english. But that is not the point here.

As far as the show is concerned, MAYBE I will give it a chance. I watch The Boondocks last night, and I am kind of okay with it, aside from the "most hated word" in my book. So, let's give this show a chance.

CGTalk Moderation
03-11-2006, 01:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.