PDA

View Full Version : Weinstein Co. to develop Ninja Turtles 3D film (Producers of Hoodwinked)

RobertoOrtiz
03-09-2006, 01:10 PM
Quote;
"The Imagi Animation Studios film is a joint acquisition of Warners and Weinstein and will be released domestically on March 30, 2007. The movie is being directed by Kevin Munroe from his own screenplay, developed in consultation with "Turtles" co-creator Peter Laird."

>>LINK<< (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/film/brief_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002117729)

-R
Ps The Weinsteins also produced Hoodwinked and Doogal
http://www.weinsteinco.com/

Slurry
03-09-2006, 01:16 PM
Wow. Hoodwinked must be doing ok for them to be greenlighting all these other movies. Good for them.

Art

danimat0r
03-09-2006, 02:46 PM
Oh.

Goody.

If there's one thing the Weinsteins know about making animated films, it's uh...

they uh...

Well, they sure make them.

jeremybirn
03-09-2006, 03:59 PM
Sounds like the Weinstein Bros. agree with George Lucas that the future is all low-budget product.

-jeremy

danimat0r
03-09-2006, 04:14 PM
Sounds like the Weinstein Bros. agree with George Lucas that the future is all low-budget product.

-jeremy

..Incidentally, Doogal looks like it might break all of 12 mil domestically. If it's lucky.

Whether lightning will strike twice with Hoodwinked 2 remains to be seen. How long can the fractured fairy tale remain fresh?

ThomasMahler
03-09-2006, 04:22 PM
I dunno why they're using this old brand. Do children these days still know the Turtles brand, actually? I mean, that was so 80s/90s - Turtles was 'cool' when kung-fu was cool and all that jazz.

Why aren't they coming up with something original...? If you never try, you'll never know.

ntmonkey
03-09-2006, 04:55 PM
Damn turtles are cool man. They had an early pilot for a show done in toonshading awhile back that I really wanted to see. I watched the movies, played the games, even had a glow-in-the-dark shirt. Though I really thought Vanilla Ice was the real villian and not Shredder.

The first movie I thought was some masterful facial puppeteering. Might have to dig up that old VHS...uhhh....crap. I don't own a VCR.

-Lu

albedo4800hp
03-09-2006, 04:58 PM
I am not sure but something tells me I don't know really why but I think Ninja turtles are actually still quite popular in Asia/Japan or hasn't Konami released a Ninja Turtle game not too long ago, might be my bad memory though.

CIM
03-09-2006, 04:59 PM
I dunno why they're using this old brand. Do children these days still know the Turtles brand, actually? I mean, that was so 80s/90s - Turtles was 'cool' when kung-fu was cool and all that jazz.

Why aren't they coming up with something original...? If you never try, you'll never know.

There's a whole new generation of Ninja Turtles (nothing like the old cartoon from the early 90s). on Saturday morning TV. It seems popular enough.

meyers3d
03-09-2006, 05:02 PM
There's a whole new generation of Ninja Turtles (nothing like the old cartoon from the early 90s). on Saturday morning TV. It seems popular enough.

yeah, i watched it a few times and it wasn't that bad either.

Kid-Mesh
03-09-2006, 05:28 PM

Ninja turtles never died out...it's still popular. Before Dreamwave shut it doors they had a successful run at the Turtles comics as well. What was helpful in continuing the franchise (Turtles) is not the just the idea of it or the Kung FU spin but the story lines. There have always seemed to be some pretty good writers for the shows that aired and that will always keep food on the table.

Gehof
03-09-2006, 06:09 PM
I'd rather see a live-action with FX by ILM/RH or someone along those lines. I haven't gone to see any Weinstein movies, but the trailers haven't whetted my appetite for them. I'd much rather see my childhood favorite show in someone else's hands.

SheepFactory
03-09-2006, 06:12 PM
Here is hoping they use the awesome Vanilla Ice song "go ninja go" for this movie too!

samfisher
03-09-2006, 07:07 PM
Believe me, it's not hookwinked and doogal. much better. :)

Kimotion
03-09-2006, 07:19 PM

Actually, their target is for people like us who remember them fondly. We have money and many have our own kids to drag to the movies as well.

Kimotion
03-09-2006, 07:22 PM
I haven't gone to see any Weinstein movies, but the trailers haven't whetted my appetite for them. I'd much rather see my childhood favorite show in someone else's hands.

I agree. I wish it was in the hands of more experienced studios to give it justice. Hopefully they learned from Hoodwinked and will by then place importance on quality animation.

Rick May
03-10-2006, 12:40 AM
I agree. I wish it was in the hands of more experienced studios to give it justice. Hopefully they learned from Hoodwinked and will by then place importance on quality animation.

The Weinsteins are a distribution/production company that has been picking up the distribution costs for animated films created elsewhere on someone else's dime. Hoodwinked was nearly complete before they came along and threw money in for voice talent (after the animation was done) and marketing/distribution. Same with Doogal, and Turtles has been in production for a while now, long before Weinsteins came in the picture.

What I'm getting at, is the Weinsteins are not yet funding animated films from the get go and therefore not responsible for their initial direction. They are in affect buying films that are or almost are complete. The animation quality in Hoodwinked or Doogal was not a result of anything they did or said.

The Weinsteins clearly want to move into animation, and their initial strategy appears to be purchasing properties or the distro rights to already finished or nearly finished films. With the future exception of Hoodwinked 2 and some other announced films that they are funding from day 1.

yenvalmar
03-10-2006, 01:25 AM
the cartoons were bad enough, doesnt anybody remember the original black and white independant comics? i bought issue #8, cause it seemed like the weirdest thing ever.. for one thing it was black and white, who knew comics werent all in crappy 4 color printing? and the black and white art in those original TMNTs was really good, as was the story. although it was a goofy premise it was handled very seriously, kinda like a batman dark knight returns feel.. it wound up opening my eyes to basically a whole world of independant/a little bit less mainstream art, the idea that there was a space between the crap that everyone else was into and the totally inaccessible arty stuff... if they bring it back to that kind of gritty hardcore action feel i'm all for it but somehow i dont anticipate that.

hellgatemedia
03-10-2006, 02:25 AM
The animation is being head up by Kevin Munroe. The guy is amazingly talented, I have some of his comics. Check out El Zombo Fantasma, or Olympic Heights. I've seen some images from this CG effort that leaked on the web in the past year, I've also talked to Kevin Eastman about it when I met him at a con. There are also some other really cool old school Turtles things being done lately for us old fans. I strongly urge any old school turtle fans to check out TMNT and Tales from TMNT at Mirage. This is a movie for US, the real fans, not the kids, don't be quick to poo poo this.

samfisher
03-10-2006, 03:00 PM
if they bring it back to that kind of gritty hardcore action feel i'm all for it but somehow i dont anticipate that.

that's the director's vision for this film. wait and you'll see this is not the typical hollywood cg movie, it's dark, it's gritty, it's action packed.

yenvalmar
03-10-2006, 05:28 PM
about the execution not being up to par, thats encouraging that the original guys are involved and its taking off from the comic and not the cartoons. but! its still tough to make a good 3d movie.. where are the clips you guys were talking about from the animators?

bale
03-10-2006, 10:25 PM
Does anybody have any links to pics of the movie? I I'd like to see what kind of style they're going for. Was a crazy fan who waited 2 hrs for the first movie, just to be turned away along with hundreds other people(this was before the big theatres). Can't wait!

btw.
I have a tmnt model and rig uploaded on www.simplymaya.com . The model is alright but the rig needs a lot of work.

Mike Kopa
03-13-2006, 02:18 AM
I'm all for another Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie, but as for being a CG one, I'm not so sure. I myself would rather see another live action one like the older TMNT movies. I loved those movies. Awesome characters, and awesome costume design and everything else! I just hope the movie is good in all aspects of CG... animation, texturing, lighting etc. etc. Because to be honest... I wasn't very compelled to see Hoodwinked after seeing the trailers. There's my opinion.

Here's to hoping it turns out well!

bale
03-13-2006, 03:07 AM
it's not by the same guys who made hoodwinked is it?

samfisher
03-13-2006, 05:32 PM
it's not by the same guys who made hoodwinked is it?

it's made by Imagi Animation Studio (they did Father of the Pride for Dreamwork years ago).

gunslingerblack
03-13-2006, 08:50 PM
first of all the weinsteins arent making this movie, they jsut bought out imagi, second, this movie looks so horrendous i might cry because of the fond memories i had for the ninja turtles.

this movie could have been phoenominal if they took the time to make it look good, but right now it looks like garbage.

bale
03-14-2006, 03:15 AM
first of all the weinsteins arent making this movie, they jsut bought out imagi, second, this movie looks so horrendous i might cry because of the fond memories i had for the ninja turtles.

this movie could have been phoenominal if they took the time to make it look good, but right now it looks like garbage.

do you have any links to images of the movie?

gunslingerblack
03-14-2006, 02:31 PM
theres a poster of it hanging in the office, it looks so bad, i'll try and have it scanned in later on if i can.

lets put it this way killgrave, the small version of your turtle in your profile looks way better than the large textured version of the turtle on the calendar.

samfisher
03-14-2006, 02:59 PM
theres a poster of it hanging in the office, it looks so bad, i'll try and have it scanned in later on if i can.

lets put it this way killgrave, the small version of your turtle in your profile looks way better than the large textured version of the turtle on the calendar.

that's an old design render year ago, don't judge the film base on that calender ;)

P_T
03-14-2006, 03:54 PM
that's the director's vision for this film. wait and you'll see this is not the typical hollywood cg movie, it's dark, it's gritty, it's action packed.

What rating is it gonna have? if it's something like PG-13, somehow I doubt it'll be anywhere as dark and gritty as you said it is.

gunslingerblack
03-14-2006, 04:01 PM
well until i see anything better i'll stick to my initial review, it looks like crapola

ps found this on the site announcing all the news...the image was above an article about the weinsteins buying out imagi.

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/4065/imagi019vc.jpg

looks like they have to get a better publicity image...cuz thats the calendar render

rstratton
03-14-2006, 04:16 PM
even if it wasn't created by Weinstein Co. you would think they would have the sense to see the quality of the film, especially if they are coming in late, and know that it is probably going to cost them money instead of making them money....but who knows maybe hoodwinked was done for really cheap....hey who knows this movie might be watchable....lets wait and see...

samfisher
03-14-2006, 04:24 PM
well until i see anything better i'll stick to my initial review, it looks like crapola

ps found this on the site announcing all the news...the image was above an article about the weinsteins buying out imagi.

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/4065/imagi019vc.jpg

looks like they have to get a better publicity image...cuz thats the calendar render

Don't know where you got that information, but weinsteins didn't buy Imagi, they are just the distributor. They didn't have any involvement in the production of tmnt cg movie.

pixelmonk
03-14-2006, 04:28 PM

The old cartoon from the early 90s is nothing like the real comic book back in the 80s. More blood, more cussing, more goodness. Kid-friendly stuff... blah.

Loolarge
03-14-2006, 05:02 PM
I remember there was one really bloody violent turtles-comic that i bought once. Not bad though. I liked the first movie, but well i was about 10 when i saw it. I liked it better than the second one though, it was not so silly and pseudo-slapsticky as the second movie. I am skeptical about the cg version, but just bring it on. I watch pretty much any animated movie in the theatres anyway.

edit: i think i allready heared about the project two years ago. Aren't they finished yet? :shrug:

bale
03-14-2006, 06:05 PM

thanks i was going to make my own cg turtle short film, but when i heard they were doing a cg movie i quit working on it. But yeah I don't like that image of leo. Hopefully the story and animation will be good.

CGTalk Moderation
03-14-2006, 06:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.