PDA

View Full Version : Sketchbook Thread of Fusioniz

Fusioniz
03-09-2006, 10:16 AM
argh i'm so stressed up with the interview for admission in this college of arts and i don't know what to do. i'm posting up my portfolio to be and hope that anyone who sees this might at least give me a minimum attention...i will really appreciate if you do... thank you.below is the rules/criteria:
Preparing your Portfolio

Portfolio should be A2 or smaller (A4 minimum) and preferably with a zipped cover.
10 pieces of work need to be presented.
Your work should include drawings, sketches, 2-D work (e.g. painting, printmaking, digital imaging) or 3-D work (e.g. sculpture, ceramics).
Originals of work are preferred, however photographs, slides and/or digital images & JPEG (cd-rom) are also acceptable (particularly for work larger than 60cm X 20cm in size).
Works & images should be accompanied with labels/captions indicating; Title of work, year of completion, medium/material and size/measurement of works.

What we are looking for

Applicants need to be selective in preparing the portfolio to ensure that it best represents their creative ability.

The assessment of the portfolio is based on the following considerations:

potential for skill development
evidence of hand-eye skills
articulation of a sustained idea or concept.

Fusioniz
03-09-2006, 10:17 AM
here are some more... thank you...

Fusioniz
03-09-2006, 10:18 AM
last ones for now....

erilaz
03-09-2006, 10:31 AM
Okay.. i'm going to have to be fairly to the point here, because I don't know the level of ability you're required to have to get into this course. Please understand I'm not saying this to be mean, i'm trying to help.

This portfolio really needs work. I don't want to be gentle with you here, because it's the answer your college is going to give you. You need to sit down and really focus on doing some long pieces, both creative and studied, and take some serious time and effort.

How long do you have before the interview?

Fusioniz
03-09-2006, 10:43 AM
its around 7 days

Fusioniz
03-09-2006, 10:56 AM
i don't know what to do.... really.....

erilaz
03-09-2006, 11:03 AM
What I would suggest you do is a series of long studies over the next week. Take a few hours on each, as much as possible. Do some of Rebecca's workshop material, that will help you out immensely.

I'm sorry I can't give you better news than this, but you need to show something that has a finished and well polished presentation. Colleges can be fairly brutal about these things, so you need to be prepared. You need to show the college you're aware of your shortcomings and the goals you have to improve. As they say in the brief:

Applicants need to be selective in preparing the portfolio to ensure that it best represents their creative ability.
The assessment of the portfolio is based on the following considerations:

potential for skill development
evidence of hand-eye skills
articulation of a sustained idea or concept.

You obviously show a lot of potential, but you need to work on the other two points.

erilaz
03-09-2006, 11:09 AM
Just as a disclaimer, I'm only one person and I don't know what the entrance level of this college is. I may be wrong here, but I've seen folio submissions before, and they usually expect more.

erilaz
03-09-2006, 11:14 AM
Holy crap fusioniz... are these yours???

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=3323508#post3323508

They are far better pieces. Why not use those?

Fusioniz
03-09-2006, 11:18 AM
thank you... i dont know if your saying that i'm having potential is just consoling me... i appreciate that if it is.. but please be frank with me. no offence but i just feel tt i dont know what to draw and stuff... btw could you link me to rebecca's workshop? thank you..

Fusioniz
03-09-2006, 11:19 AM
lol unfortunately no.im just quoting them only.. i won't be that good.... =(

Elsie
03-09-2006, 11:31 AM
Hi there Fusioniz :)

Okay, you want me to be honest, I will be.

You DO have potential, and long term I can definitely see you working up to a good standard. But right now - bare in mind without my specific knowledge of the institution you are applying to - I wouldn't say that your work is ready.

What I think would be your best bet to do is figure out things that you need to improve on, and discuss it with them in your interview. That way, if they see that you know what is wrong with your pieces and are willing and enthusiastic to improve, (it also shows initiative) that will be your best shot.

And like Martin says, work on a handfull of really detailed studies this week to add in. Don't do just people, they're hard to do - study some everyday objects, shade your work a little more. And of course, Rebecca Kimmel's anatomy forum in general is a wonderful learning zone!

Good luck.

Fusioniz
03-09-2006, 11:34 AM
i thank you very much elsie. i am going to draw some more and post it here... i will do my best thank you guys for your attentions to a nobody like me... i appreciate it....

erilaz
03-09-2006, 12:04 PM
will do my best thank you guys for your attentions to a nobody like me.

Okay, well you're going to have to stop putting yourself down for a start. :surprised

Fusioniz
03-09-2006, 12:21 PM
no i tink its true...i mean im really grateful for great people like you all to give me attention..

Fusioniz
03-09-2006, 01:10 PM
ok uh another attempt. took this picture from http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=2876945&postcount=85

Fusioniz
03-09-2006, 02:02 PM
here's another sketch....

LoTekK
03-09-2006, 02:37 PM
Good start, you're doing studies. Keep at it, but you need to watch those proportions. Remember to lay down the gestures/construction first, before hitting up the rendering. Remember, fixing the proportions of a 5-minute construction is a heck of a lot easier (and much less painful) than realizing two hours into a rendering.

And like erilaz said, quit saying you suck. You keep that up, you'll end up believing yourself. Just as importantly, if you start saying that during your interview, your interviewers aren't going to try to convince themselves otherwise. Remember that long speech I gave you about confidence? Keep it well in mind.

Rebeccak
03-09-2006, 02:42 PM
Fusioniz,

Hi there, welcome to the Anatomy Forum. :) LoTekk was telling me about your work, and I understand that you have a short space of time in which to prepare a portfolio.

I think you probably know by now it's nearly impossible to put together a college~entrant quality portfolio in just 7 days. ;) What are your options should you not get accepted this time around? I think you should try to think realistically about next steps ~ not getting overly stressed, but just trying to think through what will happen if you don't get accepted into art school right away.

What is your art training and background? :) I can see that you have potential, but have a lot of work to do, and you are more than free to use the Anatomy Forum as a training ground. As Elsie mentioned, you should also try to draw people, as well as have color pieces in your portfolio. Do you work with color media at all?

I don't know how the school system works in Singapore, but here we have small, less expensive community colleges where a lot of people go before going to a university, in order to hone their skills. Is there any such thing in Singapore, or can you simply take a few art classes?

Let me know your thoughts on this. :)

Also, I should say that no one is a 'nobody'. ;) We all start with a certain amount of skill, and then hopefully we're all on an upward journey from there. Think of it as a challenge where you have to improve. As my grandfather would say, there's no where to go but up. :)

Cheers, :)

~Rebeccak

Fusioniz
03-09-2006, 02:43 PM
yeah about selling myself or something like that right?i'll keep it in mind thank you.strangely i have a bad habit of straying into rendering after drawing awhile lol.....

Fusioniz
03-09-2006, 02:49 PM
hi rebecca im honoured by your presence and i thank you lotekk for helping me. i take art elective when i'm studying in my secondary school and regarding working with colour media, i stopped using colour pencils, postal colours after i left my secondary school.
secondly, if i dont get into this college, i must wait to retake my exams as i didnt do well for my maths....so, in other words, this college is my alternative. otherwise i will have to enroll in the army service before i continue pursuing my studies.

Rebeccak
03-09-2006, 02:59 PM
Fusioniz,

I honestly think that you have to just start preparing what you have now. It's going to take you some time to prepare and label your work, right? Also, how close are you to the school? If you can hand deliver your work, then you may have a bit more time, but don't miss the deadline. If you live far from them, then you will have to mail your work, and that will take time ~ plus, things in the mail can get lost, so if you can document your work by scanning at full resolution (300 dpi) and save your work to disk or hard drive so you have a backup of it if you are submitting your original work. The worst would be to lose your existing work and then have to start from scratch.

If you do not get in and have to perform army service, how do you feel about that? For how long must you perform service, and can you get out at some point to pursue your schooling? I know LoTekk has experience here which he has likely talked to you about.

I think you have to do the best you can and start to prepare your portfolio for final presentation. Can you put your pieces in a nice, portfolio for presentation such as this:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz150/70/

Ideally you want one of those with plastic pages so you don't have to mount your work on something like illustration / presentation board, which will take you a bit of time. You will have to consider also how you want to label things.

I hope this helps. You just have to give it your best shot, and hope for the best. Present your work in the best way possible, and then submit your portfolio on time, making sure to meet their requirements.

~Rebeccak

Fusioniz
03-09-2006, 03:09 PM
erm, that zipper briefcase has plastic pages?or you mean compiling all into a plastic file?and i dont really know what is the size for full resolution (300 dpi). usually, after i scanned, i opened it in adobe photoshop to save it for web.so, i havent really grasp the usage for photoshop.as for being in army service, i had to b there for at least 2 yrs?i suppose and i think that it may be possible to take night classes but, i dont think that it is possible cuz after a day of rigorous training, i'm too drained to do anything else let alone taking classes. my plan for now is, after i get into this college, i'm taking my maths at the same time, so that i could combine my certificates to get a better grade, or say cover up my ugly maths score.heh.

Fusioniz
03-09-2006, 03:12 PM
oh and btw what size do you recommend?cuz ther's like 6 sizes and i don't really know what is their actual size.

Rebeccak
03-09-2006, 03:15 PM
Fusioniz,

I would go to a local art store if there is one near you, having first measured your largest work. ;) Take the measurements with you, and talk to a clerk about the right size and type of portfolio to get. :)

Don't order from a website (and particularly not a US website) as it will take time to ship. I would go today if possible to an art store and find a suitable portfolio for your work. :)

This is more of what I'm thinking of in terms of a portfolio:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000AE697.01-A1PY46IM1CBEG3._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

It has clear plastic sleeves into which you can slip your drawings.

~Rebeccak

Fusioniz
03-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Ooo cool. i think the pictures i drew are all A4 size. so do you think that i should buy A4 and buy a bigger size later on?

Rebeccak
03-09-2006, 03:20 PM
A bigger size portfolio? Heh, I'm not familiar with the A4 size system. Teck, any thoughts?

~Rebeccak

LoTekK
03-09-2006, 03:20 PM
Becca, no worries about distance, really. You can get from one end of this little country to the other in half an hour of crazy driving. :scream:

NS really isn't all that bad, at least in my own opinion. I had a great time, and it's character building (yes, cliche, I know, but it's true). The way I've always seen it, you get out of it what you want to get out of it. Go in there wanting to hate it, and you most certainly will, and you'll have a horrible time of it. Go in with the right attitude, enjoy the good, and roll with the punches.

Whether you're able to take night classes will depend entirely on the vocation you get dropped into after boot. If you get a cushy desk job, by all means go for night classes.Anything else, and you'll probably have trouble making it to class, let alone manage the assignments.

Fusioniz
03-09-2006, 03:25 PM
ehheh yup.i hope your right lotekk.im going to get one file tomorrow.

LoTekK
03-09-2006, 03:29 PM
Jesus H Christ it apparently took me five minutes to post my message. Got super-insta-posted.

If you don't have any plans to do any bigger pieces, then by all means go for an A4 folio. ArtFriend at Bras Basah has a boatload of different types.

Fusioniz
03-09-2006, 03:30 PM
yeah its where i'm going and oh for your info, takashimaya has opened another branch of artfriend =D

Rebeccak
03-09-2006, 03:33 PM
I recommend getting the basic portfolio finished FIRST. If you have to and can afford it, go for two portfolios, one large, one small (but big enough to accomodate your largest work so far).

Lots of smaller pieces are going to look silly in a bigger portfolio. But I'm not saying NOT to do bigger pieces, just to get the minimum done FIRST.

~Rebeccak

Fusioniz
03-09-2006, 03:46 PM
im wondering should i draw a bigger one cuz after reading this:

Portfolio should be A2 or smaller (A4 minimum) and preferably with a zipped cover.

Rebeccak
03-09-2006, 03:52 PM
I recommend trying a large color landscape ~ maybe in oil pastel or colored pencil. Look at landscape paintings before you start ~ and identify artists whose work you really like.

This thread has a lot of links to artists:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=282224

~Rebeccak

Fusioniz
03-09-2006, 03:55 PM
i tink i've lost touch to using colour media lol.so, i gotta draw landscapes on a2 size?

Fusioniz
03-10-2006, 04:56 AM
hey apart from drawing landscapes can i draw other stuff?

Fusioniz
03-10-2006, 05:25 AM
another drawing before i start rendering.ok now im going on to pastel painting.

did abit of modifications.the third piece

Fusioniz
03-10-2006, 07:13 AM
ok here's the colour scheme i just did using some pastel chalk. very messy the chalk is indeed.

Fusioniz
03-10-2006, 12:42 PM
hello?anyone there?

Rebeccak
03-10-2006, 03:51 PM
Fusioniz,

Maybe try a still life. I don't know that that last piece is really something you'd want to put in your portfolio...if you're not comfortable with color yet, then go for a black and white still life piece in a medium with which you are comfortable.

~Rebeccak

Fusioniz
03-11-2006, 01:27 AM
ok... thanks...oh boy.

erilaz
03-14-2006, 12:35 PM
Keep hammering away Fusioniz! Keep on hammering...

Fusioniz
03-15-2006, 01:04 PM
yeah i am! ok im posting my few anatomy studies up soon

Fusioniz
03-15-2006, 01:10 PM
here... im still doing my hands studies.

Rebeccak
03-15-2006, 01:24 PM
These are really nice, Fusioniz ~ keep pushing. Try to be a bit more sensitive in your linework.

How is your portfolio preparation coming along? :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Fusioniz
03-15-2006, 01:33 PM
its well underway i suppose... do u think i could put those in my portfolio?

Rebeccak
03-15-2006, 02:00 PM
Sure, why not? :)

Deadline is soon...have you purchased a portfolio?

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Fusioniz
03-15-2006, 02:07 PM
yup!sure got it =D oh man wish me luck...

LoTekK
03-15-2006, 02:17 PM
Good luck, man, those studies are looking pretty good. You've shown a definite improvement. Keep that up, even after you've submitted the folio. An artist never stops improving. ;)

Rebeccak
03-15-2006, 02:50 PM
Fusioniz,

Good to hear! Hopefully you've started to organize your portfolio / label it properly / etc. Be sure to call the school to make sure what their hours are for drop off of your portfolio. The last thing you want is to miss their deadline, so try to drop it off at least a day in advance.

Good luck! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Fusioniz
03-16-2006, 10:31 AM
YES I'M ENROLLED IN LASALLE
im so relieved now. yeah although my portfolio is submitted, i can now do my own research alr.

LoTekK
03-16-2006, 10:46 AM
As I said on MSN, congrats. :) Keep it up, and you'll start seeing huge improvements. :)

Mu
03-16-2006, 11:07 AM
YES I'M ENROLLED IN LASALLE

Hey man, I have just read this thread and it was like reading a thriller!
I understand you made it then?

Congratulations!

I am looking forward to what you will be adding in here on this journey of yours.

:thumbsup:

:applause:

Rebeccak
03-16-2006, 01:42 PM
Fusioniz,

Is LaSalle the school you were applying to? If so, Congrats!!!

Let us know how things go. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Fusioniz
03-17-2006, 05:30 AM
thank you guys! this has definitely spurred me onwards to improve! however, LoTekK advised me to use traditional drawings first and when i'm real solid at my basic then i go on to a tablet pc. what are ur views rebeccka?

Corvax
03-17-2006, 12:40 PM
Fusioniz.

first of all congratulations :thumbsup: .

second: Do you have scans of you portfolio? ~ you see, I'm currently putting my portfolio together and it would be kinda interesting to see what on what basis other people have gotten acsepted on.

third: in regards to traditional vs. digital, don't think of them as traditional and digital they are both paintings. its true that some things are a little easier to learn in the different medias, drawing is a lot easier with traditional, but I think that digital, (because you can go backwards in the painting progress,) allows you to be a little more bold, a little more daring, and you can actually learn some things faster on the computer.

just my 0.5 Danish crowns. :D

Rebeccak
03-17-2006, 02:13 PM
Fusioniz,

With respect to digital vs. traditional painting, take a listen to this interview with Leigh van der Byl, who is the lead moderator / administrator for CGTalk. She is a texture artist for feature films, who had traditional training prior to digital:

Episode 6 - Leigh Van Der Byl Interview (http://www.cgcast.com/index.php?nav=downloads%20)
http://www.cgcast.com/index.php?nav=downloads

The thing I think she really is right about is that working traditionally (specifically, painting) will teach you things like mixing color etc. that will make working digitally 10x easier. We're in an age where you should likely try to learn both at once, but I really recommend drawing and painting traditionally at least for a while to learn those fundamentals well. It's really true that almost anyone can learn the basics of software, but that it is nearly impossible for a software only person to reverse engineer themselves and learn the fundamentals of art. You are going to an art school ~ learn about art, not JUST about software.

Having said that, the technical end is also important and of course shouldn't be excluded. Just don't get so wrapped up in the latest flashy program and wind up not spending any time learning about figure drawing, painting, composition, color, etc.

BTW, I'm confused, did they review your work on the spot and accept you right away? That seems like an awfully fast process. :)

~Rebeccak

Jack Shannon
03-17-2006, 03:19 PM
Fusionz,

I have just read your thread, and Congratulations on making it mate!

I'm very impressed, the improvement is just great dude, I'm so pleased for you.

See you around,

~Jack

Fusioniz
03-17-2006, 04:13 PM
Corvax: sorry for the late reply. i will upload my pictures now.

Rebeccka: i can't seem to view the first link. it shows404 could not find file.Ok i will stick to traditional for the time being. but any direction for me?on what shld i do or anyting?oh yeah the interview is around 45 mins or so.firstly she reviewed my portfolio which i was so so afraid that i couldnt fulfil their expectation. After reviewing my portfolio, she asks me to do a On-The-Spot still life drawing.oh well, i drew but didnt met her expectation too.. i tink she expected more as in, using grids to draw(which i dont know what is it) cuz i never received such training in school.

Jack Shannon: thank you jack for your compliments i appreciate it =D

Fusioniz
03-17-2006, 05:24 PM
these are the links to the fotos in my protfolio... i think they're bad...but hope u enjoy it.http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e227/fusioniz/5cc33c43.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e227/fusioniz/2f272633.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e227/fusioniz/2193886c.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e227/fusioniz/7a52300a.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e227/fusioniz/18a61232.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e227/fusioniz/006d3c7a.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e227/fusioniz/e22c0d91.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e227/fusioniz/808628ca.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e227/fusioniz/66bd5faa.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e227/fusioniz/3cf2c05e.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e227/fusioniz/dff42f02.jpg

P.S some are upside down. i'll edit them tmr im very sleep now. gd nite all cg members!