PDA

View Full Version : Getting started with soft bodies...

dEnbom
03-09-2006, 08:40 AM
Hey all... I've been thinking about getting started with softbodies for a while now, but it seems so unbelievably unstable that I've never actually gotten to it.

Worked through the "learning maya 6 - dynamics" book recently as I did an in depth study on dynamics in school but although I followed the instructions in the book carefully it seemed as every single exercise ended up in the models imploding...

Would anybody be so kind to bother explaining the simplicity of even making a soft body sphere that bounces on a plane, you know to get a ball that deforms... Because whenever I try to do even a simple thing as that I get a ball that turn inside out and then when I try to start applying springs it just implodes to hell... :(

Any help would be greately appreciated.

McWolfe
03-09-2006, 03:06 PM
Soft bodies are extremely setting sensitive, esp, for high values of damping.

This is from the help files of maya...

You can often fix excessive spring expansion and contraction by increasing oversampling of dynamic calculations. Increasing the oversampling slows down playback but increases the stability of the springs. Do these steps to increase oversampling:

Select Solvers > Edit Oversampling or Cache Settings. This displays the Attribute Editor.
Enter a value for Over Samples

Also, try out the different settings for how the springs are created (wireframe, all or MinMax). My impression is that wireframe is a bit more sensitive (I could be wrong though).

Finaly, my experience is that the scale of your object also plays a small role. Try working on larger objects, it has worked for me in the past.

McWolfe

CGTalk Moderation
03-09-2006, 03:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.