PDA

View Full Version : urgent help on maya blendshapes

starla30
12-16-2002, 05:48 PM
I'm an animator floundering around in the MAYA rigging process. I have a number of short questions about things that have been nagging me...

what is the general preference for blendshapes vs clusters? i get the impression that often wire deformers are used for the brows, clusters for the eyes, and blendshapes for mouth/lip synch. is this correct?

I recently rigged a subdiv humanoid character using only FK bones, smooth binding, and 3 blendshapes. it was a very simple rig. i had a decent machine (P4, 1.4ghz, 1gig RAM) but the blendshapes were agonizingly slow to work with even though I created them on the lowest level of detail and even deleted the target models from the scene. is there some way to speed this up? should the head be a separate object from the body if the blendshapes are only going on the head, rather then duplicating the whole character for every blendshape? I'm working on a new project with a faster machine (Xeon dual 2.0ghz, 1 gig ram, quadro4 700xgl) and it isn't much faster at all. i feel like i'm doing something wrong. I'm used to the extremely fast response time I get when animating in LW and I hate to think Maya is somehow a worse package for animation when I've heard so much otherwise. i need to start animating asap so any help would be greatly appreciated!

starla30
12-16-2002, 05:49 PM
i should add, the characters aren't very heavy, certainly no heavier than those i've worked with in other programs

AAbel
12-16-2002, 06:50 PM
Most people use some form of a low-rez stand in for animation purposes. As for blendshapes I don't make copy's of the full body unless absolutely neccessary. What I do is detach the part that will get blendshapes from the body, duplicate it several times, make the blendshapes then re-attach the part with the blendshapes. You might want to consider making a poly version (with the blendshapes) of your characters head to use as a wrap deformer to drive the subd head.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.