PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft posts patent on watching games

Saurus
03-08-2006, 07:19 PM
As an online gamer, this is kind of interesting. Always like to see tactics used by other players or watching good players play. Paying to use this service is another matter.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30135

mv
03-08-2006, 08:10 PM
Ah, cool, nice step forward.

heavyness
03-08-2006, 08:38 PM
i do this all the time in Project Gotham Racing 3 right now. i have my custom playlist playing [speed.m3u] and i go to watch the Hero channel and watch some nice races. you can change camera views and cars. i like watching from the TV cams but also being able to go into the cockpit and look around is nice to.

this is going to be really cool when there are online tournaments and you can watch who'll you be playing next.

they also have this in DOA4.

JeroenDStout
03-08-2006, 08:58 PM
Ah, cool, nice step forward.
You can see that sentence as sarcasm and as being sincere, and they're both very right in being so. Yay, this is a great development, Boo, this is a patent.

mv
03-08-2006, 09:03 PM
indeed, indeed. ;)

deepcgi
03-08-2006, 11:35 PM
A internet/gaming cafe I helped start tried to file a patent for this concept almost ten years ago. It was part of a series of patents on the usage of real time 3d simulations for non-interactive purposes. We couldn't afford to continue fighting to get it approved. Not that I feel that it should have been.

Either independent software development or software intellectual property is on its last legs. Everything is patented by the big few. Of course, they won't sue you unless you are successful. Just don't succeed and you should be alright.

danyrey
03-09-2006, 08:43 AM
while it is a nice feature, it is not new like shown in the last post.
Since there is no source mentioned in the article where to look up the patent, i wonder what HLTV did all the time? (Link (http://www.hltv.org/?pageid=76))

hightillidie
03-09-2006, 01:03 PM
while it is a nice feature, it is not new like shown in the last post.
Since there is no source mentioned in the article where to look up the patent, i wonder what HLTV did all the time? (Link (http://www.hltv.org/?pageid=76))

oh man! I remember that . Oh the fun I had...

rstratton
03-09-2006, 03:06 PM
Hey I guess if you will actually pay to watch someone play a game, then they deserve your money....:banghead:

CIM
03-09-2006, 03:41 PM
Hey I guess if you will actually pay to watch someone play a game, then they deserve your money....:banghead:

You could say the same thing about ppl. who pay for The Gnomon Workshop DVDs (just a random example). They're essentially paying to watch someone draw, paint, or whatever. There's really not much of a difference.

mv
03-09-2006, 05:10 PM
Yeah, and paying to watch people play is not something new.

http://www.fiusports.com/images/football/stadium_lg.gif

and the process proved itself successful.

rstratton
03-09-2006, 09:43 PM
You could say the same thing about ppl. who pay for The Gnomon Workshop DVDs (just a random example). They're essentially paying to watch someone draw, paint, or whatever. There's really not much of a difference.

at least you are learning something with the Gnomon DVD's...I know its being said that you can watch other people play to learn how to play better and people have to remember its just a game...if you can't pick up a controller and figure out how to play the game, then maybe you shouldn't play it...but I am just giving my opinion I know alot of people who would pay for the service, I just would not be one of them....

Grim Beefer
03-10-2006, 12:27 AM
The Microsoft "PressPass" webpage doesn't really give us a good idea of how broadly this patent is supposed to apply. Thankfully, I doubt it will have very much validity outside of some very narrow constraints due to so much prior art existing (counterstrike being a great example). Patenting for Microsoft is percieved to be a strong-armed business tactic, but it's not a game everyone can play. Like someone earlier mentioned, Microsoft's huge capitol resources let them just shoot as many patents out as they can think of, hoping that some that managed to ram their way through will provide useful later. It's incredibly imperialistic overall, and very dangerous if we expect to ever have software being produced by anyone but monolithic giants. A huge part of the problem is the patent offices themselves; they are by no means software experts, and aren't really informed enough about the subjects at hand to make prudent decisions about what patents to grant. A great metaphorical equvialent would be to staff a patent office of all blind or deaf employees and seethe with frustration as they grant patents for "painting with red oils on square canvases" or "composing song structures containg three choruses followed by a bridge and another chorus". A programmer works with a medium just like a painter or musician, but unlike these two, the programmer can patent their techniques.

ambient-whisper
03-10-2006, 03:23 AM
at least you are learning something with the Gnomon DVD's...I know its being said that you can watch other people play to learn how to play better and people have to remember its just a game...if you can't pick up a controller and figure out how to play the game, then maybe you shouldn't play it...but I am just giving my opinion I know alot of people who would pay for the service, I just would not be one of them....

then you have a game like warcraft3 or something where you watch and study the way some people play, and the way they think. study the successful ones and you will probably end up the same.

rstratton
03-10-2006, 06:07 PM
then you have a game like warcraft3 or something where you watch and study the way some people play, and the way they think. study the successful ones and you will probably end up the same.

Oh I understand why people are saying that they would do this and I mean I understand it more if you are just watching it for pure entertainment, I just personally feel its sad that someone wouldn't play a game because they wanted to study how other people do it before they play, alot of the fun of games is learning how to play, if you want to study read the manual that comes with it and it will tell you what the buttons do you should learn the rest on your own.....its like how people will play a MMORG but they go and buy a high level character from someone else and then when they play they feel like they have accomplished something because they are a level 60 or whatever and they did nothing to get to where they are besides pay for it...but like I have posted in this thread its just my opinion so the only person who has to value it is me, everyone else is free to think they way the want about this subject

Saurus
03-10-2006, 09:34 PM

I don't know if I got the numbers right, but I read about a Korean starcraft player who I think can do 5 or 6 moves (multiple attack, defend, build a building, etc) at time where a normal player can do only 2 moves at a time...damn!...I can only do 1 move at a time. He's someone I like to see play.

I see this feature similar to a player studying a good soccer (football) or a good basketball player to further his or her own skill.

heavyness
03-10-2006, 10:21 PM
also, do a search for speed runs (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&hs=EcV&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=speed+runs&spell=1) and look at all the results. people are looking to watch, not just to study, but for entertainment. sure, people aren't going to log in and watch 6 random people play Halo 2/Counter Strike on a tuesday night, but there are plenty of people willing to pay to watch the top Halo 2/Counter Strike players go at it, i know i would.

just watch this (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6636935616931104479&q=street+fighter)... if that doesn't get you going, check your pulse... i would of love to see that happen live.

Saurus
03-10-2006, 11:10 PM
Here's a starcraft compitition in Korea

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6648934043675888354&q=starcraft

PhantomDesign
03-11-2006, 07:21 PM
This concept has been in use for many years in many different forms. The very first online game I ever played (Counterstrike) had an option for watching a game as a spectator. People have been posting videos of playing games for quite some time now.

I'm curious about their implementation of this "technology" and exactly what makes it patentable. From what the article says though, this is about like trying to patient the wheel.

CGTalk Moderation
03-11-2006, 07:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.