PDA

View Full Version : Can LW bevel this?

gizmo1990
03-08-2006, 05:43 PM
I used to be a fairly heavy user of 5.5 but I'm now getting back into LW and using 8.

LW always had fairly (very) basic bevelling abilities, could someone tell me if this has changed now?

After having a quick play with the bevel command in 8 it would appear not but I know LW has some very advanced features now... but are its bevelling abilities as good as say Maya?

Here's an example of what I would like to be able to bevel. Red indicates where I'd like a bevel placed.
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/561/bevels2eu.jpg

Can this be done, without the use of plugins, smoothly and in one pass by LW?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Darth Mole
03-08-2006, 07:27 PM
Simple answer is 'no'.

I've just replicated that shape and tried Rounder (which comes bundled with LW) and it resolutely refuses to even attempt it. (Or anything remotely like it.)

Sorry.

gizmo1990
03-08-2006, 07:35 PM
Say it ain't so! :(

LW why do you mock me with the beauty of your modeller then kick me in the teeth!!

Anyone else?

MrWilde
03-08-2006, 07:46 PM
It may not be perfect, but you can round it, if you extend the object. Rounder doesn't work if one point sits at the end of a polygon. There has to be another polygon next to it sharing the point.

:)

Round it first and cut in the additional polys afterwards and remove the ones you don't need. Otherwise rounder goes nuts.

PixelInfected
03-08-2006, 08:30 PM
edge bevel (selection did on point) and after that add a pass of rounder.
i hope that when lw9 exit this nightmare is finished and we can bevel directly the edge.

dobermunk
03-08-2006, 08:40 PM
There used to be a plug-in that worked well for this - with settings for beveling convex and/or concave geometry, and how many polys as bevel. A japanese develeper. I checked at flay and couldn't find it :-(
Anybody recall what it was called?

gizmo1990
03-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the info guys, looks like Rounder does it... in a a*se about way at least!

REally hope this is sorted out in 9, especially in this day and age. As PixelInfected said, we really should be able to directly select edges and edit them etc...

Does VertiBevel achieve the ease of use and results I'd (and the rest of the community!) be after? Anyone used it?

zuzzabuzz
03-08-2006, 09:42 PM
If it's any consolation, I built the object in Modo and it also had "issues" bevelling those edges in one fell swoop.

Lewis3D
03-08-2006, 11:32 PM
Hi !

FREE plugin called "WEdgebevel" will do it (i just tried) without any extends of object (needed for rounder) but downside is that you can't set number of edges you want to be added (like on rounder). So if One edge is enough (more liek chamfer) that tool wil do it :).

Darth Mole
03-09-2006, 07:45 AM
Rounder doesn't work if one point sits at the end of a polygon. There has to be another polygon next to it sharing the point.

Ah, right. No wonder my experiments failed... I always wondered what that error message meant.

gizmo1990
03-09-2006, 09:18 AM
Hi !

FREE plugin called "WEdgebevel" will do it (i just tried) without any extends of object (needed for rounder) but downside is that you can't set number of edges you want to be added (like on rounder). So if One edge is enough (more liek chamfer) that tool wil do it :).Nice find! But erm.. How the hell do you install it?

The place I've found it has it as a .ls file which I believe is Unix...?

EDIT: Doh! Its an Lscript file isn't it.

gizmo1990
03-09-2006, 09:30 AM
Y'know its pretty good! Not perfect but pretty good especially for free.

It won't quite cope with the inner diagonal point but everything else is spot on. :)

Lewis3D
03-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Yes It's LScript plugin :). Pretty usable for FREEWARE ;).

Darth Mole
03-09-2006, 03:43 PM
This is an area where LW really falls down. It's got a cluster of good and not-so-good tools and plug-ins, but wouldn't it be cool if NT made the absolute best ever, intelligent, does-it-all bevel/chamfer tool? Rounder is good, but a bit limited.

Amapi has a killer one, but Amapi is flaky and weird, IMO.

gizmo1990
03-09-2006, 04:31 PM
Agreed.

...and pull their finger out of their a*ses and bring the extrude function up to date!

Oh and while we're at it, put flipping BEZIER CURVE HANDLES in!!

If you added these 3 simple SIMPLE things you'd instantly bring LW toe to toe with max and maya.

However after waiting 10 YEARS for those additions, I just know I'm gonna be disappointed when 9 hits...

dobermunk
03-15-2006, 02:20 PM
I finally remembered the name of the plug-in: kw_edgesmoother.
It tackled this and more quite well. Used it at a company once. No idea what came of it.

PixelInfected
03-15-2006, 02:34 PM
i not see news or other development of that plugins, i remember that the developer was a japanese guy very skilled, the original page is :
http://www.mmm.ne.jp/~waken/
it did also free plugins, but seems it not update anything from 2001....

CGTalk Moderation
03-15-2006, 02:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.