PDA

View Full Version : NEXT GEN: Online Games Boom: Who Benefits?

RobertoOrtiz
03-08-2006, 03:14 PM
Quote:
"DFC Intelligence's David Cole takes a long, hard look at the state of the online games market, and finds out which companies, sectors and genres are benefiting from growth, and which are falling behind. Stats and charts inside...

After years waiting in the shadows, online games are now generating significant revenue. According to the just released DFC Intelligence Online Game Market Forecasts, subscription revenue from online games was $2 billion in 2005 and is expected to grow to $6.8 billion by 2011.

Furthermore, subscription revenue is only one part of the online game business equation. Advertising and digital distribution revenue are also expected to grow significantly.

One of the most interesting things to note about the online game business is the potential fragmentation it could create. Subscription online games have tended to be very hits driven. However, these hits have come from non-traditional sources. "

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2420&Itemid=2

-R

pogonip
03-08-2006, 05:13 PM
1 billion ( nearly anyways ) of that comes from World of Warcraft alone . It's hard to believe that the total revenue will grow 3 x in value in just 5 years ... :rolleyes: Unless some REALLY awesome online games come along or WOW reaches like 10-15 million subsribers !

DevilHacker
03-08-2006, 05:21 PM
Online Games Boom: Who Benefits?
-----------------------------------------------------------------
In the end... the gamer does...
:thumbsup:

SpiralFace
03-08-2006, 05:43 PM
I don't think its going to grow by 3x the amount. I think that a good majoraty of the people who want to play online games already do them. I can only think of tennagers just getting into online gameing, many adults I know have already made up their mind on wether they can afford to play online games (monthly fees is the thing that I think keeps most people away from those games, myself included.) And of the people that I know that are absolutely addicted by online games, amoung most of them, they are only willing to pay for one game at a time before they move onto a nother one.

So I do think its going to grow, but I think by 3x in a single year is a bit unlikely. There might be that many new online games that have been released, but I doubt there will be that many more people playing the games. As many of them will probably pick one game and stick with that one for awhile.

CGTalk Moderation
03-08-2006, 05:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.