PDA

View Full Version : Verticies popping randomly while painting skin weights

sugarandfat
03-08-2006, 05:31 AM
Smooth skinning a character in Maya 7.0, as I paint the skin weights whole faces will randomly pop to different shades of grey.

The component editor's showing they're not picking up influence from any other bones.

They'll only pop once each, then sit there and they're really difficult to smooth or paint back into the surrounding weights.

It only seems to be happening on this mesh, not sure if it's something in the history but doesn't seem to be.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Daniel.

darkjedi1929
03-08-2006, 07:47 AM
Goto Bind Skin>Edit Smooth Skin>Enable Weight Normalization and then paint. It will work.

Robken
03-08-2006, 08:45 AM
i've seen the same thing! I wondered what I was doing wrong, and weight normalization is on here, so that can't be the problem.

and undo doesn't fix it either, they stay messed up. I hope somebody knows how to fix this...

ashishdantu
03-09-2006, 06:01 AM
hi sugarnfat,

well, i too have experienced.this..

but if painting weights, doent reflect on the mesh or if it shows that u component editor shows total as zero for the selected verts... even though it has some.. hitting the enable normalization doesnt fix...it

when they pop put each, once... and say u still continue to paint influence, do they come back ?? for me.. they did... so when ever i c popping verts, continue painting them...and they r set back..

if u hav tried this also.... but no results, then i wud say,u get a list of the bone effecting the skin cluster, then save out the current weights ( use any vertex index based exporter -since ur model is going to be same .. here is my script , u can use (http://www.creaturetd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=3175#3175)) and then detach skin ...and use the bones list , to select them and the mesh again, skin them back, import skin weights.. this is what i do.. and has worked everytime.. but s, a round about fix ..but it does fix....

forgot to mention,, if u use my script.. there this "Print Skin Cluster Bones" button, which can print out the skinning bones list in a usable manner.. hit it and open the script editor..
drag the printed lines and use directly..

hope this helps..

amannin
03-09-2006, 10:11 PM
i am experiencing the same problem --

my hand/fingers are pulling on the leg, when i paint the leg all black for everything affecting it, they go right back to the way they were -- getting very annoying and frustrating...

what is causing this?

sugarandfat
03-10-2006, 01:42 AM
Well, it's stopped happening. I noticed it would start happening at a certain point, it was something I was doing, one of the tools I was using. So I restarted the rig and didn't use any tools except the basic paint weights.

I _____think_____ it may have been 'prune small weights', but I'm really not sure and I can't imagine why it would be, if it were.

But yeah, now it's all good, so hopefully that'll help you out.

Regarding distant joints picking up small weights (I think that's what the last guy here was refering to) my tip is: be very careful with flood painting with a smooth brush. It can make weights crawl all over your mesh. I try to only flood smooth with a mask, ie selecting which verticies you want to influence.

Anyway, hope this helps someone out. Wish I couldv'e been more concrete about what was going on.

Daniel.

CGTalk Moderation
03-10-2006, 01:42 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.