PDA

View Full Version : How do you make clothings? Do you actualy model the all creases and stuff?

dododo
03-08-2006, 02:01 AM
Hi all.

How do you guys make clothing for your model? Do you model every each creases and folds?

Say I got this guy with dress(Business) trousers and shirts on. Shirts will have creases around where it goes into the trousers. In that case do you actualy have to creat those creases? Or could I make clothing like in real world, and apply dynamic/physics so that it will naturaly generate creases and folds? If so how?

If I have to create each creases and folds, it just sounds crazy. Maybe fine for simple clothings but when it gets complex clothing where would have lots of creases and folds, it would be quite insane to make each of them.

I have looked around for clothing tutorials around web but they were all really badly made. And most of them were creating creases and folds by modelling. Not that the tutorials are bad, but the final result of the tutorial was just bad. A shirt were looked like lego plastic thingy and didnt have had any fabric feeling to it. I have yet to find a good tutorial that work you through to make realistic looking clothing with how to creat creases and folds realisticaly for LW.

I'm quite noob in this 3d arena and recently started model my own characters and stuff, but stuck by creating clothes. Because if I have to creat each creases and folds, it doesn't sound very intutive? Animating them would be real pain in the rear too.

please give me your comments/methods.

thanks.

CTRL+X
03-08-2006, 02:12 AM
Morph targets tied to expressions so that when a rotation of a bone ( limb) occurs the crinkled morph comes into use.

other methods are used Im sure. but that is the first that comes to my mind

dododo
03-08-2006, 03:23 AM
Thanks for the reply.

The question is, how would you model it in the first place? Do you have to model creases and folds? Is it possible to model cloth seperately, like sheet of canvas or something, make it like you make real shirt in real world, then wear it to the human model so it creats creases naturaly?

CTRL+X
03-08-2006, 04:27 AM
Model your character in a the typical neutral pose, then model the clothes to that pose... if there is any wrinkle or seem you want there ALL the time through your animation,, then model it to tat neutral pose. Make sure to add enough geometry to the locations where you will want creases to show up during your animation..... then... using those neutral clothes, create morphs of the clothes in bent positions.

bearfoot
03-08-2006, 07:26 AM
i think as an alternate method you can use Cloth_FX - hence the name :)

model your clothes in a seprate layer , parent them in layout and setup collisions
between the 2 layers

bobs your jaffas really..

Eclyps19
03-08-2006, 12:38 PM
But quite frankly, the clothFX is a P.O.S and everyone knows it. It's rediculously hard to make clothes with clothFX, so you might be better off using morphs... :-( sorry to disappoint you, dodo.

etobiason
03-09-2006, 06:33 PM
You want to get FI's Wrinkle. It's a great plugin. Search for it by name at www.flay.com.

-e

twidup
03-09-2006, 06:53 PM
But quite frankly, the clothFX is a P.O.S and everyone knows it. It's rediculously hard to make clothes with clothFX, so you might be better off using morphs... :-( sorry to disappoint you, dodo.

Its funny you say that. I was recently working on some cloth work for a film, and started off using clothFX and quickly said screw it and went back to using MD2000 to do it...just easier to work with and get the results I was expecting.

Unfortunately, in the end, I ended up doing itw ith some morpha nd bones because the client was wanting to directly exactly how the cloth moved.

-todd

dododo
03-10-2006, 11:45 PM
Thanks for all the comments and helps guys. You guys are awesome. :)

So if I model a figure with clothing on that is NOT to be animated, then obviously I have to model all the creases and folds? Thanks for that plug in link btw, it will make the job easier I think, but wouldn't change the fact that I still have to make each creases and folds.

It would be nice if there are any plugin/software out there that allows you to assign material to it so it will automaticaly generate realistic property of fabrics then you can set various settings for elastics, stretches and weights thus creats creases folds naturaly, rather than trying to pull and push each points/vertex which I think quite inefficient when it comes to very complex clothing shapes. Or is there such thing exists already?

I'm sorry but I think I'm still a bit confused. Especialy using morph idea. Do you guys mean that I can use morph to creat creases/folds or is it used to alter existing creases/fold, which obviously created "manualy" in the first place?

darn it. I hate to be a newbie. :(

thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
03-10-2006, 11:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.