PDA

View Full Version : Flash Character Animation in Maya

Phredrek
03-08-2006, 01:25 AM
Hey everyone!

A team of us are going to get together to start making Flash games and/or little animations. other team members are familiar with Flash but I'm not really, just trusty ol' Maya. Since I will be doing the animation, I wouldn't having all the characters setup in Maya because then I would have awsome control! however, I previously experienced with exporting to swf before and the file sizes were a little big.

Does anyone think it is wise to do flash animations through maya? I would also have to make outputs easy for my teamates to work with when setting up the interface and whatever else.

thanks!

Frederic

dunkelzahn
03-08-2006, 10:32 AM
Basically it is possible!

The problem about the file size is, that the Vector renderer works best with Nurbs and Patches as it renders every little vertex and edge, which is why the file sizes are so big. Aaaah and textures on meshes donīt seem to render as well.

Possibilites might be a freehand script, merging unneccesary nodes together or simply only animating Nurbs characters or baking your animation and converting everything to Nurbs. Using only fill colors for your characters, to give them a toon look might be worth planning in from the beginning.

Havenīt had time to follow all those subjects yet, but Iīd be very interested in any workarounds and solutions. Tell me if you encounter any bugs as well, I might be able to help, when my time permits.

Cheers

Chris

Phredrek
03-08-2006, 04:09 PM
Great and thanks for the suggestions!

It's still not 100% go yet that I'm going to be doing it with Maya, depends on the rest of the team if they are comfortable working with swf outputs from Maya. But in anycase, I will repost again if I do decide to go that route.

thanks alot for your suggestion to use Nurbs and/or patches. Makes sense. And I won't be using any complicated shaders, all flat colors.

Thanks for your suggestions! I'll definately keep it in mind.
cheers!

Frederic

CGTalk Moderation
03-08-2006, 04:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.