PDA

View Full Version : Simple workflow question

arvid
12-16-2002, 12:33 PM
I have a paint controlling a compoundblur, so whereever I paint the image will be blurred. However, I can't figure out how this is supposed to work because I can either only see the paint comp, or not be able to paint, I need to draw the strokes on top of the entire composite so I'm able to see where I draw, using splitscreen and painting in one and viewing in one really doesn't work. In shake it's a really simple matter of clicking 'View' on the final layer and clicking 'edit' on the paintoperator. What's the workflow supposed to be in Combustion?? This also goes for drawing masks...

1armedScissor
12-23-2002, 05:27 PM
here's a solution to your problem. copy and paste the footage that you would like to "see" while you are using the paint operator. Then nest this layer and apply the paint operator. Now you can see what you are painting over, when you are done painting you can turn off the footage layer within the comp and only the paint layer is visible. now you can do what you originally had planned and use the paint operator as the source for your compound blur.

I think this should help you. Let us know how it turns out.

Milo FX
12-25-2002, 03:37 AM
Sorry but I cant understand some of your solution.
You said:
"copy and paste the footage that you would like to "see" while you are using the paint operator. Then nest this layer and apply the paint operator. Now you can see what you are painting over"
You are right but "over" what? When I tried to make this I see my nested layer with paint operator "over" a black screen big as my workspace output. This solution absolutly usefull when you have to paint a layer that is little or big than your workspace output. But it can not dissolve the problem about painting over another layer. In Flint, Flame and Inferno, you use paint operator just over the behind layer (so your painting will be very controlable) but in Combustion you have to paint in another window... :annoyed:

1armedScissor
12-25-2002, 11:46 PM
Milo FX I'm not sure what it is that you are doing wrong, but I currently have combustion open and I'm doing exactly what I said, and I can see everything. My workspace output is not a black screen. I know that this will work for what Opacity was looking to do, because I've done it myself on more than one occasion for work. When you say that you have to paint in another window are you reffering to having your viewport layout set to 2 windows with one set to your footage and the other set to your paint operator? I believe that is what you are saying, and if that's the case, it's not neccessary and is not part of the combustion workflow that I use. Oh well different strokes for different folks I guess.

Milo FX
12-26-2002, 06:45 AM
Ok, I will try to explain what I m doing with your solution.
First I m opening Combustion 2. Than I m going to File menu for creating new composite. File-new-composite-PAL-3d-100f etc. ok.
Than I m importing two footages thats names are foot1 and foot 2 in my workspace (Ctrl_i). So Foot 1 is the background layer that I will paint Foot 2 over it. Ok now I duplicate Foot 2 for nesting it. I say, nesting-selected layer. Ok it s done.
Now I m using Paint operator to my new Nested Layers.
Voila my interfaces without paint operator and with paint operator.

Milo FX
12-26-2002, 06:46 AM
And this is "with paint op"

1armedScissor
12-26-2002, 02:54 PM
I see, this is my mistake. What you need to do is the following. Instead of copying and pasting one layer, nest the entire composite then copy and paste the nested comp. On one of the comps apply a paint operator. Now you will have the ability to "see" everything in the comp. then after you are done, simply turn of the unneeded layers in each comp and you should be done. For opacity you can take this "painted comp" and apply a colour corrector to it and place it under the paint operator in the composite stack (after you're done painting of course) and make the composite all white. then set your paint strokes to all black. now you can nest this comp again and use the luminance values as the source for your compound blur.

I hope this clears up any confusion, sorry guys, my bad.

Milo FX
12-27-2002, 01:47 AM
Dont think about the mistake. This works very well, thank you:)
So if the case opened I like to discuss one similiar subject...

Lets say we like to make a alpha selection to a layer over another one. And I like controle the bezier lines over my background image just like Flint, Flame and Inferno.
But in C2, I have to edit my bezier lines in a window that show my paint or selection layer and control them in another window that show my full composite.
I dont really understand why Discreet, who knew very well the artist s needs, didnt notice that point in C2. This is absurd because they did it in FFI:annoyed:

arvid
12-27-2002, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, I suppose something fairly useable can be worked out, even though it takes some extra work :D

What I'm really after is to see the image get blurred as I paint on it, very easy to do in Shake. I almost never use more than one view in any app, except in comb* where Im forced to it, its pretty bad workflow. I'd like to be able to lock the flowchart to one side and have the viewport show whatever I double/trippleclick on

Splice
01-03-2003, 08:46 PM
To blur an image while painting on it is fairly simple in combustion....

When you are in the paint module, just change the paint mode from "paint" to "Blur" or even "Mosaic".... When you apply a brush stroke the image will be come blured in the brushed area...

Splice...

arvid
01-04-2003, 06:23 PM
yea thats good in this particular situation, but chances are that I want to do this with *any* filter.. in Shake it works the same way with everything from colorcorrection to defocus to displacement, and to any number of nodes simultaneously.. oh well :)

Splice
01-05-2003, 02:27 PM
Why don't you just create a matte of the area you wish to affect and do the effect that way?

Or an easier way, just thought about it, paint your stroke as a selection and apply your effect just to the selection. By animating the selection the filters applied to it move with the selected area...

Splice...

arvid
01-05-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Splice
Why don't you just create a matte of the area you wish to affect and do the effect that way?

how do I connect the matte to the blur node..? that's the functionality I'm after

Splice
01-06-2003, 02:29 PM
In this example, you apply a paint operator to the footage and paint a few brush strokes. Select all your brush strokes and group them. With the group selected, change the Object from "Shape" to "Selection".

With the selection selected, apply a blur to the image and only the selected area will be affected......

You can then animate the strokes if that is what you want...

Splice....

SEE attached file

Splice
01-06-2003, 02:41 PM
In the second example....

You import your file into the composite and duplicate it. Add a Blur to the duplicated layer. You should currently see your entire duplicated image is blurred out. Rename the Duplicated layer and call it "BLUR".

Now Create a new paint branch (File-new), make it a black transparent solid. In paint, make a few white brush strokes or the shape you want.

Once this is done select your "Blur" layer and apply a "Set Matte" filter to the layer.

In the set matte options, Click on "Layer" and choose the paint branch from the menu. Change Input from "Luminance" to "Alpha".

When you double click on the composite in the workspace, in the viewport you should see your image, we the blurriness only affecting the areas within the matte.

If you hit F-12 for schematic, you should have something similar to the attached image...

Hope this helps...

Splice...:bounce:

MotionKey
01-07-2003, 11:10 AM
Why you dont use shake intead of using combustion?

arvid
01-07-2003, 11:12 AM
isnt it obvious? I'm desperately seeking a replacement now that shake is destroyed by a lowlife fruitcompany

arvid
01-07-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Splice
In the second example....

You import your file into the composite and duplicate it. Add a Blur to the duplicated layer. You should currently see your entire duplicated image is blurred out. Rename the Duplicated layer and call it "BLUR".

Now Create a new paint branch (File-new), make it a black transparent solid. In paint, make a few white brush strokes or the shape you want.

Once this is done select your "Blur" layer and apply a "Set Matte" filter to the layer.

In the set matte options, Click on "Layer" and choose the paint branch from the menu. Change Input from "Luminance" to "Alpha".

When you double click on the composite in the workspace, in the viewport you should see your image, we the blurriness only affecting the areas within the matte.

If you hit F-12 for schematic, you should have something similar to the attached image...

Hope this helps...

Splice...:bounce:

Thanks a lot for the efforts Splice! (you're the Splice I think you are right? :beer: havent been on dalnet in a long time hehe.. freenode is the place to be)

Splice
01-07-2003, 02:21 PM
Fraid not.... My full handle is Splice Meister......

I hang around here, Creative Cow, DMN forums, FXguide.com and highend 2D....

Haven't been on IRC in ages......

Hey I just like the challenges...Keeps the brain from going to mush!

Splice...:airguitar

arvid
01-07-2003, 03:01 PM
ah bummer :D thanks tho

Reality3D
01-17-2003, 03:39 AM
Well, it's easier than splice method

Create a Paint layer and paint in color mode or alpha mode(it's the same since you want a greyscale
Create a layer with the footage
Apply Blur/Compound Blur
Select The Paint operator, and the channel(alpha, or red or gren or blue, it's the same)

End

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.