PDA

View Full Version : Looking for methods of facial animation Capture

JeT
03-07-2006, 11:57 PM
Hello, I'm researching methods of capturing facial expressions from humans to drive computer generated character expressions. I was wondering if anyone here knew of any particular methods or software?

I recognise this is the Character Rigging forum - has anyone found preference to a particular facial animation rig or method, especially when using a type of facial animation capture software?

Thanks!
- Joe

JeT
03-08-2006, 12:31 AM
I found some useful information on motion capture here : http://www.metamotion.com/

eek
03-08-2006, 02:16 AM
Thats old motion capture, either magnetic rotational offset joints, or mechnical a joint rig. You should look at studios such as protozoa - but you should of looked at them like i did 7 years ago.

Today facial capture is optical around 150 markers to 20 or so cameras. There may be a head harness invovled to. As to track just the face and not the head movement. But both are combined and used.

Theres also procedural facial animation generation based from arbitrary images, that are blend based on mask data. And also normal captured face animation and image based facial animation like that used in the matrix series.

Also you have the Henson digital puppettering tool, that is driven with joysticks and hand controls to drive the face.

Theres a ton of sigraph papers out there on the subject to.

dunkelzahn
03-08-2006, 09:41 AM
Head harnesses are very useful, as they can be used in combination with a MoCap suit, although they might cause a slight headache after a 8 hour shift.

And its cheap, as you only need to mount one CCD on the harness and you are ready to go. Yeah, sure, certain movements (we always had problems with the expression of kissing) are off the map, but back in 1999 nobody really cared much about such a high level of realism. :)

eek
03-08-2006, 03:39 PM
Is that the famous faces stuff? Drunkel, Have you seen the imagemetrics work - thats pretty amazing!

R32
03-08-2006, 11:35 PM
Hi Joe - check out Face Robot on softimage site. www.softimage.com (http://www.softimage.com)

dunkelzahn
03-09-2006, 09:46 AM
Is that the famous faces stuff? Drunkel, Have you seen the imagemetrics work - thats pretty amazing!

Naaa, it was by another company, called X-ist. Dont know, if you ever heard of it, they went out of business around 2000, which was pretty sad, they were pretty good, did magnetic and mechanic (Flock of Birds and a variant of the Gipsy system) MoCap as well, they even had some plugins for 3D studio Max, like transferring the facial animation data onto a spline-driven facial muscles.

I had a look at the imagemetrics stuff. Yeah, that stuff IS definately amazing. How do they do it? As far as I understood, they use image-recognition algorithms to analyze your face topology and textures. After that they retarget the animation data from the video onto a 3D character, crazy...

Christ, Ill have to think about that. They also do a lot of medical research, so I guess they algorithms must be based on the anatomy of the human face. I wonder what would happen if you try to capture an animal or a person with a disfigured face?

Drunkel, Ill have to remember that, its a good nickname for a Saturday night LAN party, :thumbsup:

Cheers

Chris

eek
03-09-2006, 03:45 PM
Yeah the imagemetric stuff is bonkers, it relies on a heavy algorithms of facial recogniction to drives morph targets you provide. So you provide a rig,morphs and the footage and they do the rest. Ive been told its incredbly expensive upwards of 20-25,000$. Yes i bet they looked heavily into medical research. Ive been checking out the sig papers on this stuff, age reconintion and facial analysing has come a long way!

Yes i was working with a custom built system in germany, called Maniac. It was magnetic - i.e did a joint check on the the polarity of magnet placement.

Well its all joint/bone placement in the end right? So diformity as a skin layer scaring etc i think wouldnt be too hard to acheive lots of test. When the face is physically broken i.e bone changes this impedes on muscle movement so much mor complicated because basically you have no or little reference to work off how to set it up.

Its like how they simulate car crashes, so maybe you would have to setup the face normally then break it in cg then base this for the capture? i dunno.

I always call people here by there first part of there nick hehe - its become habit.

dunkelzahn
03-10-2006, 08:24 AM
Whoa, 25.000 $!!! Thats a big pile of cash, but yeah okay, if they custom tailor a system around specific character (and a specific performer?), then you know where the moneys going.

Do you still have the links to the Siggraph papers? Id like to look more into that sort of stuff, as Ive done some research on the muscles of the human face and the human body and its really interesting.

Anyway, have a nice weekend, Im off packing my stuff for the Saturday Night LAN, hehe! ;)

dunkelzahn
03-13-2006, 08:26 AM
Hey Eek,

Okay, found enough papers to keep me reading till winter again :)!

Seriously, there really is a lot of stuff out there, but Ill read myself into it. Anyway, thanks for the hint...

eek
03-13-2006, 03:21 PM
Hey Eek,

Okay, found enough papers to keep me reading till winter again :)!

Seriously, there really is a lot of stuff out there, but Ill read myself into it. Anyway, thanks for the hint...

check out walters and Elkman - there the two key figures in this.

CGTalk Moderation
03-13-2006, 03:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.