PDA

View Full Version : Can't Set The Shading Angle

Giacomo_M
03-07-2006, 07:09 PM
http://home.earthlink.net/~bucket/SmoothShadingProblem.jpg

I CANNOT figure out how to change the smooth-shading angle on imported models. The above render shows the same model imported with shading angles of zero and 170 degrees...same result, same unwanted facetting.

Please advise.

GM

Edit: Never mind, you can do it in Transporter. It still seems kind of confusing, though, to have it available as an import option when it doesn't do anything.

Reuben5150
03-07-2006, 10:32 PM
I just posted this on the EI forum, but for the benefit of people here..

The shading angle setting has no effect when -

1 importing .fact files
2 when the "skip file validation" check box is selected.

In other words it only works with anything other than fact files, also, the "skip file validation" feature keeps uv's intact with non-fact formats (its not needed with uv mapped fact files), but i never use this since the surfaces look pretty bad and more often it won't load the file anyway - Zbrush .obj's etc.

Indeed better to use transporter.

Reuben

NorthernLights
03-08-2006, 02:43 PM
The angle thing is what determines whether or not two adjacent polygons are treated as an edge. In theory, the polygon normals are examined and if they fall below the angle value, the vertex normals are blended. However, the algorithm may require that the two polygons share vertices in memory not just have coincident vertices. Combine Duplicate coordinates should take care of this.

threedeworks
03-09-2006, 08:33 AM
The angle thing is what determines whether or not two adjacent polygons are treated as an edge. In theory, the polygon normals are examined and if they fall below the angle value, the vertex normals are blended. However, the algorithm may require that the two polygons share vertices in memory not just have coincident vertices. Combine Duplicate coordinates should take care of this.

i always wished we had a per group control over this in animator. :)

cheers

markus

CGTalk Moderation
03-09-2006, 08:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.