PDA

View Full Version : Letters in Stone; V-shaped cutting profile?

narph
03-07-2006, 06:47 PM
I have a situation where I will need to cut words into stone, much like you see in temples and things like that. The boolean works, but I can't figure out how to make the letterforms bevel back to a point. I can bevel them, but only so far; beyond a point the incoming bevel polys zoom past each other.

I have also tried doing a bevel as far as I can, then welding those points a pair at a time, but the results were not good..plus, it is a very tedious procedure!

Anyone here done this before? Letters cut into stone with a v-shaped cutting profile are not only more authentic-looking, but (IMO) easier to read as well.

thanks for any ideas!

narph

Eclyps19
03-07-2006, 08:03 PM
smooth shift each letter individually. that should work. Shift + f

narph
03-07-2006, 08:30 PM
will do..thank you!

n

Zarathustra
03-08-2006, 03:46 PM
I would construct each letter individually with a center line, pull the center line so it's the deepest part and extend the outside of the letter out and up as many times as needed.

narph
03-08-2006, 04:03 PM
OK..for that first part, you mean manually make each letter shape? then, how to get the centerline accurately for the curved letters?

tx

n

<I would construct each letter individually with a center line, pull the center line so it's the deepest part and extend the outside of the letter out and up as many times as needed.>

Zarathustra
03-08-2006, 04:22 PM
just get in there and do it. If you're looking for an "easy" button, I don't know of one.
You can try extending the outer edge of the letter then going back and welding together the inner geometry maybe.

narph
03-08-2006, 04:41 PM
OK..I seem to have found a way to do it..heavy on the manual work, but the resulting letterforms actually to carve into other shapes.

thanks!

n

pdrake
03-08-2006, 05:21 PM
i wrote a plug-in for this.

it only works on the TRS-80 version of lightwave, though.

sorry.

Activator
03-09-2006, 02:39 PM
I haven't done exactly what you're trying to do, but I often find that using the Zaxwerks 3D Invigorator plugin in After Effects can make light work of difficult beveling jobs. It makes pretty complex meshes, but they look great and export easily to LW format.

If you made type with a "V" bevel extending backwards, and used a Boolean to cut into your stone surface, it would probably work well.

Repeatability is also key, as I often have to create dozens of the same 3D titles for TV and film work.

CGTalk Moderation
03-09-2006, 02:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.