PDA

View Full Version : US: Accused 'Grand Theft Auto' video game-playing killer on trial

RobertoOrtiz
03-07-2006, 04:54 PM
Quote:
"Closing arguments began in the trial of a man charged with being in a US gang that played the ultra-violent "Grand Theft Auto" video game by day then robbed and murdered by night. "

"Ralls and five fellow "Nut Cases" killed and robbed for the fun of it, Stallworth argued in the Oakland courtroom of Alameda County Superior Court Judge Jeffrey Horner.

After being captured by police, members of the purported gang told detectives that they wiled away time doing drugs and playing "Grand Theft Auto III," a video game in which the main character commits street crimes.

"Nut Cases" reportedly told police they spiced up the game by taking it from the virtual to the real world."

>>LINK<< (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060307/ts_alt_afp/uscrimegame_060307160817;_ylt=AtUks5JgGOhc9k7.iaM16Sms0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MjBwMWtkBHNlYwM3MTg)

-R

mummey
03-07-2006, 04:58 PM
Wow! The article doesn't have a single Jack Thompson reference! :eek:

havokzprodigy
03-07-2006, 06:11 PM
So are we to beleive that if these idiots never played that game they would of grown up to be saints and never of did anything wrong?

People like that travel down that path no matter what.

Slurry
03-07-2006, 07:01 PM
Yes, they were all law-abiding citizens and volunteered with church groups and community organisations in their spare time.

That all changed 20 minutes after playing GTA.

lovisx
03-07-2006, 07:07 PM
yeah, it's a stupid argument, blaming video games because they used it to inspire their killing. The could have used care bears for inspiration, really.

But I don't believe people are born this way, or that they have to choose a path because that is what their personality dictates.

It is interesting though, to see what murderers enjoy doing in their spare time now a days.

JeroenDStout
03-07-2006, 08:12 PM
An unconclusive article, but an article related anyway; Pastimes Defining a Culture (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/35/9) from The Escapist.

timeless3d
03-07-2006, 08:22 PM
Anyone familiar with Hitchcock's Rope?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040746/

I just saw it the other day and was having this same discussion. This obviously was an issue as far back as the 40's (farther, I'm sure). This movie is about two people who, inspired by a college professor, kill a man for the fun of it. They had no other motivation other then the thrill of getting away with it. They end up putting the body in a chest and 10 mins later their guests arrive and they all eat off the chest.

The sociopaths are discovered by their professor. The professor had talked about killing less-valuable members of society to thin out the population, to shorten the line at your favorite restaurant. This was all, of course, theory and jest. The murderers used his theories to justify their acts. It was my feeling they would have used anything to justify it, if not the professor, someone or something else.

deadplant155
03-07-2006, 09:36 PM
"The reputed leader of the gang, 28-year-old Leon Wiley, had a tattoo of the Planters peanuts logo "Mr. Peanut."

oh my gosh, does this mean that mr. peanut leads to murder? or are all peanuts inherently evil, i call for a ban on peanuts, protect our children from nuts!!!

good heavens people....how can they blame this on a video game, so stupid...ugh.

tufif
03-07-2006, 09:45 PM
I know we're not supposed to mention religion on here, but I find it interesting that for all the people who blame god for telling them to kill (like the lady in Texas who drowned her kids) nobody ever blames the church. But if a killer just happened to own a video game system, it's obviously the game maker's fault!

Tibbar
03-08-2006, 02:59 AM
Everyone wants to take an all-or-nothing stance on violent video games' effects on people's behavior. Oh please, it's not that cut and dry. If you're not mentally ill then you're responsible for your actions. But that doesn't mean that the game had nothing to do with those actions.

Games involving role-playing give people the opportunity to live out an abstract thought or unformed plan. They can inspire an action that would normally be dismissed, either by reason or out of cowardice. In games like GTA, would-be criminals get limitless practice. I agree that most perpetrators would eventually commit the crime if they never played the game, but the video games probably accelerate the process, boost their confidence, and influence the manner in which the criminals carry out their illegal activity.

Once again, I'll say that the game companies should bear no responsibility for a criminal's actions. The same thing for cigarettes today--if you smoke and you get cancer, it's your fault.

Layer01
03-08-2006, 03:46 AM
it seems these sorts of things only/mostly happen in the US lol.

my guess is its all the video game's fault, and has nothing to do with Gun laws, social divide, isolation/insulation from the outside world or the materialistic dehumanizing profit oriented corporate net that wraps it all together.

heavyness
03-08-2006, 03:59 AM
I know we're not supposed to mention religion on here, but I find it interesting that for all the people who blame god for telling them to kill (like the lady in Texas who drowned her kids) nobody ever blames the church. But if a killer just happened to own a video game system, it's obviously the game maker's fault!

killing in the name of god is fine, they been doing it since time was recorded... jk

didn't anyone notice the part of the story where they did DRUGS and played game? hell, if kids do drugs and play HUNGRY HUNGRY HIPPO, they still might kill people.... and hippos.

pgraham
03-08-2006, 05:19 AM
didn't anyone notice the part of the story where they did DRUGSI stopped playing gta3 when I realized I was analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of real cars I saw in the real world, and deciding which would be the the most fun to steal and take on a crime spree. Doing drugs at that time definitely would have been bad. Not that I've done drugs at any time.

phexitol
03-08-2006, 05:53 AM
Hell, if kids do drugs and play HUNGRY HUNGRY HIPPO, they still might kill people.... and hippos.

That's just begging to be made into a sig.

Frank Lake
03-08-2006, 06:00 AM
it seems these sorts of things only/mostly happen in the US lol.

my guess is its all the video game's fault, and has nothing to do with Gun laws, social divide, isolation/insulation from the outside world or the materialistic dehumanizing profit oriented corporate net that wraps it all together.
BTW hows all of the increased crime rate 'down-under', after you guys removed all of those guns, been treating you? :p

These articles just make you roll your eyes.

parallax
03-08-2006, 07:14 AM
I know a guy who knows a guy who played Solitaire all day long.

He then went on an interstate killingspree.

eek
03-08-2006, 07:25 AM
Becareful kids, Tetris leads to death by brick.

P_T
03-08-2006, 12:42 PM
I wonder if there's ever been a case of an RPG freak goin on a LARP killing spree. :scream:

Leionaaad
03-08-2006, 01:07 PM
Once again, I'll say that the game companies should bear no responsibility for a criminal's actions. The same thing for cigarettes today--if you smoke and you get cancer, it's your fault.

2009 and we can read this on the side of every box containing 1 (one) piece of videogame:

1. Playing this game may give you powerfull electric shocks while sitting on the electric chair for murdering several other citizens
2. You may get away with playing this game, but you won't get away with double homicide.
3. In the moment you start this game for the first time, you agree that the FBI strts 24/7 surveilence on your house
4. Attention pregnant women: By playing this game, you are making the very first step towards making your unborn child a predator.
5. Play it on your own risk! This game may cause: dependency to violence and malevolent behaviour, rampaging rage, sociophobia, you name it...
6. If you got this box as a present DO NOT OPEN IT!!! Put it down and call 911 IMMEDIATELLY. Don't worry, you are safe from harm. But if you start playing it, none of us will ever be, as long as you are alive.

mynewcat
03-08-2006, 01:46 PM
I stopped playing gta3 when I realized I was analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of real cars I saw in the real world, and deciding which would be the the most fun to steal and take on a crime spree. Doing drugs at that time definitely would have been bad. Not that I've done drugs at any time.

It kind of sounds like that you're saying that because of your analysing cars, you were worried that if you had taken drugs you might have taken that GTA thing a little further.

But then you said you'd never taken drugs... so I'm curious as to how you can make an assessment like that.

Check this out - I have to model parts of aircraft all day, and you know what? I've started watching documentaries about planes when they come on TV.

sstreaker
03-08-2006, 03:08 PM
Uh, don't you guys think you're all getting just a *tiny* bit defensive? The article makes no direct inference that "Playing violent video games make people want to kill". The only thing even remotely close is this quote:

" 'Nut Cases' reportedly told police they spiced up the game by taking it from the virtual to the real world."

And quite frankly, I'm not too sure about that kind of journalistic reporting anyway. Any time I hear the word "reportedly", I replace it with "not at all confirmed". I dunno. I guess what I'm getting at is that I don't think there's enough here in this case to start the 500-plus "Don't blame our video games!" thread. And for the record, I'm not against gaming at all. Just getting too defensive about games when the majority of the article is about the criminals. The whole GTA thing is brought up front for shock value. I think those fools should get 30 days in the electric chair becuase of what they did, not which video games they decided to play.

mynewcat
03-08-2006, 03:16 PM
Uh, don't you guys think you're all getting just a *tiny* bit defensive? The article makes no direct inference that "Playing violent video games make people want to kill". The only thing even remotely close is this quote:

" 'Nut Cases' reportedly told police they spiced up the game by taking it from the virtual to the real world."

And quite frankly, I'm not too sure about that kind of journalistic reporting anyway. Any time I hear the word "reportedly", I replace it with "not at all confirmed". I dunno. I guess what I'm getting at is that I don't think there's enough here in this case to start the 500-plus "Don't blame our video games!" thread. And for the record, I'm not against gaming at all. Just getting too defensive about games when the majority of the article is about the criminals. The whole GTA thing is brought up front for shock value. I think those fools should get 30 days in the electric chair becuase of what they did, not which video games they decided to play.

Yeah, you're probably right in what your saying - but it's not called the "sitting around dossing murder case" or the "watching TV and then havimg a macdonalds murder case".

I think if we are angry at anyone, it's lazy journalists who affect public opinion.

I say "we" like I'm speaking for a potential angry mob myself :) - hehe

CupOWonton
03-08-2006, 03:52 PM
The whole "analizing car's atributes" argument is very subjective. Games invovle tactics, and what they teach you is how to analise your environment and situation. Now, because we are chaotic creatures, we think of random things all the time. One day wile watching the 13th Warrior I realised a lot of deaths could have been prevented had they only dug many thin holes in the ground for the horses to break their legs in. A rather violent thought, but the fact remains it was only a thought about a tactical defense. Depending on the scale of the games you play, FPS, RPG, Tactical Ops, Commander style, you'll most likely end up with different analysis' for different situations.

As for this article, These guys were already violent gang members. And their lawyer obviously wants to blame their actions on 'pre-meditation' using GTA3.

Leionaaad
03-08-2006, 05:37 PM
The article makes no direct inference that "Playing violent video games make people want to kill".

If that is true, I think our civilisation made a small leap forward, don't you think? I see it as the first article, wich does mention GTA as a habbit of the criminals, but is not using the game as a scapegoat.
Perhaps in the future this will change, and they will focus more on the criminal act, rather than WHY happened.

CGTalk Moderation
03-08-2006, 05:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.