PDA

View Full Version : Tip of the day: Easy Stars...

halfworld
03-07-2006, 03:45 PM
Hey everyone!

You might have seen the image of a lightpost I uploaded in the Mr. Revolver thread. The background stars in that image were created with 'Random Dots' a shader that comes with EI. It can create some very passable stars.

Random dots is added to the Luminance and Glow tabs (remember to set up a glow layer!).
In this scene the dots were applied to a 200 unit wide Ubersphere.

Plug (pardon the pun): Northern Lights have a fabulous Galaxy building plug-in called Big Dipper which is far more versatile.

Take a look at the screens and go play!
Ian

NorthernLights
03-08-2006, 02:39 PM
Nice solution.
But here's the challenge and I can't claim to have thought of it. It was an ILM thing. If you turn on motion blur and pan the camera, the brightness of the stars doesn't remain constant. Big Dipper can handle this automatically but can you configure the shader to adjust brightness (or the size of the dots) while the camera is panning? An XPressionist script might do the trick.

halfworld
03-08-2006, 03:02 PM
I just did a couple of quick tests, you need to adjust the glow brightness, nothing more (in my test tripling it maintained the right brightness levels).

Will think on the XP script ;)
Ian

CGTalk Moderation
03-08-2006, 03:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.