PDA

View Full Version : AMD Boosts Opteron Speed

RobertoOrtiz
03-07-2006, 02:11 PM
Quote:
"Advanced Micro Devices on Monday announced three additions to its family of dual-core Opteron processors for servers and workstations, boosting the speed of the chips to 2.6 GHz."

>>LINK<< (http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20060306/tc_pcworld/124966;_ylt=Av0vwNHJ6kos_H7rHCl3GTOs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3cjE0b2MwBHNlYwM3Mzg)

-R

Matt
03-07-2006, 02:18 PM
In 2002 we were told by this time we'd have 64-bit Dual Core 6GHz chips on a 65nm fabricated chip.

Instead, we're getting 2.667GHz chips that are rated as, "5000+."

It's not the speed of the CPU, but the quality of the processing. Well, I want quality of processing and extremely high speeds.

I'm desperately waiting to upgrade. There are two milestones that determine my upgrade:

1. Windows Vista Ultimate shipping.
2. AMD breaking the 4GHz barrier.

I only upgrade when the new CPUs out are at least clocked twice as much as my current CPU.

Mike.H
03-07-2006, 02:30 PM
would be alot more logical to upgrade once the performance is twice your current cpu instead of twice the clockspeed, but you´re of course free to do what you want :)

lexington_luthor
03-07-2006, 02:59 PM
I only upgrade when the new CPUs out are at least clocked twice as much as my current CPU.

I don't mean to be rude, but if you do that you are quite foolish.

CPUs performance is affected by many many things other than the frequency at which it runs. It just so happened that ramping up the frequency was the cheapest way to go until recently.

Now that we have reached the point at which it becomes expensive to further increase the clock speed, we are looking at the other improvements that have been sidetracked until now. Things like multiple cores, multiple functional units per core, better OoO execution, more advanced pipelining.

Despite the fact that my current CPU is only clocked 200MHz higher than my last one, it is nearly 300% faster. Thats right, almost 4x speed of my old CPU with only a slightly higher clock. Its because of SSE/SSE2 instructions, 2 cores, more cache, much faster memory interface with an integrated memory controller, an on-chip PCI controller, a chipset that can handle DMA better, and a PCIE interface to my GPU.

The fact that the performance has vastly improved is what matters... not the clock speed.

Array
03-07-2006, 05:21 PM
Personally, I'm not buying a new computer until Vista ships. At that point I will decide on whether or not I will be sticking with Windows or if I will finally be making the switch over to OSX.

Softimage|XSI not being available for OSX isnt helping that cause though :(

rebo
03-07-2006, 05:21 PM

This is so not gonna happen, even on intel.

charleyc
03-07-2006, 05:44 PM
In 2002 we were told by this time we'd have 64-bit Dual Core 6GHz chips on a 65nm fabricated chip.

Instead, we're getting 2.667GHz chips that are rated as, "5000+."

It's not the speed of the CPU, but the quality of the processing. Well, I want quality of processing and extremely high speeds...

Well I want super insane fast processing that interfaces directly with my brain and displays in a star trek holodeck kind of fashion that brings me a cool drink when I am thirsty and a good snack when I am hungry. But alas...it isn't so.

I think a good lesson to be learned is never to believe a man's prediction of the future (especially when technologically related) which includes estimated release dates of software. As others have said, as long as either the overall performances increases or the price of doubling up on hardware decreases, I am happy. And to boot, it is good to hear that AMD is still pushing forward.

Art9681
03-09-2006, 01:08 AM
This is so not gonna happen, even on intel.

"Intel has created a self-contained watercooling unit that will enable the latest Pentium Extreme Edition chips to hit 5GHz with ease...."

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/03/08/intel_liquid_cooler/

Does that count?

tecton3d
03-09-2006, 01:20 AM
although it's single core ~ the Opteron 256/856 is due out soon (end of March/early April)... that's 3.0ghz of Opteron goodness... : )

http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?t=72786

i am toying with the idea of an upgrade:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?postid=3261961#poststop

LouisBrowne
03-09-2006, 07:55 AM
I have a dream....

that one day, an industry standard, easy to read, way of measuring overall cpu performance will lay on every cpu box :D

lexington_luthor
03-09-2006, 08:27 AM
I have a dream....

that one day, an industry standard, easy to read, way of measuring overall cpu performance will lay on every cpu box :D

The numbers may not be on the boxes, but they do exist.
Just use the SPECint and SPECfp numbers :)

Ed Bittner
03-09-2006, 12:35 PM
My new computer, being built as I type;
2 NEC DVD 16X burners
Lian Li tower
1 Mitsumi 3.5 floppy drive
4 Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard drives
1 Pny Quadro FX1400 128MB DDr PCIe video card
Silverstone 600W power supply
4 Corsair 1GB DDr SDRAM DDr 400
Tyan Dual Socket 940 NVIDIA nForce Professional EEB 3.0 Server Motherboard
2 AMD DUAL-CORE OPTERON 270 ITALY 1GHz FSB Socket 940 Processor
Windows XP Professional X64 Edition..........
Speakers,Mouse,Keyboard,etc.
I'm really stoked,
E.

flipnap
03-09-2006, 02:44 PM
This is great news for maya users. And as far as frequency, dont buy the hype. The opterons design is awesome and those numbers are only part of the whole.. I mean lets say your garden hose puts out 30 pounds of pressure, and mine puts out 5 pounds of pressure... Well yours is a lot better right? well, what if your hose opening is 1 inch in diameter and mine is 5 feet? know what i mean. Anyway, i have an older opteron chip and maya smokes the newer intel chips at work that are twice as "fast"... if i were to continue using maya, Id never think twice about updating with an opteron, best choice i ever made

CGTalk Moderation
03-09-2006, 02:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.