PDA

View Full Version : CG Academy Advanced MAXScript DVD nears completion

Chris Thomas
03-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Cool news from CGA... I'm pretty much wrapped on Borislav "Bobo" Petrov's new Advanced MAXScript DVD on 3D math The Matrix: Explained. Its a great title and I've personally learnt a lot from watching it, not surprising really as the DVD was in many ways designed for me! He he. It's an Advanced level title that explores the use of various areas of math that are pivotal in 3D graphics and object manipulation.

If you are a Intermediate to Advanced level scripter and you want/need to get a firm grasp of Vector, Matrix, Trig and Barycentric coordinate usage so that you can build your own 3D gui elements, take total control over your particles in scripted PFlow Operators or Orbaz's Box#3 expansion for Pflow, implement real time collision detection on hundreds of objects within the viewport, or if you wish to dabble with a scripted raytraced rendering pipeline? Then this is the DVD for you... We'll release this title tomorrow, so check in at the CG Academy shop page (http://www.cg-academy.net/dvds_menu_3dsmax.php) if you are interested.

http://www.cg-academy.net/pages/topic_maxscript/dvds_MAXScript_advanced_01/Boxshot_web.jpg

Cheers

PEN
03-08-2006, 01:25 PM
Put me on the list Chris! This is a must have for budding and professional TD alike. If you think you know it all I bet you will still learn alot from this one.

Chris Thomas
03-11-2006, 07:24 PM
Well, great news!! The DVD is complete and is now on sale at our online store. Its already leaping off the shelves, so get your orders in soon ;). It is a great DVD and I'm sure it will open up so many avenues within scripting and in many peoples understanding of 3D systems in general.

I'd highly recommend this DVD for any advanced Max users and it would also be very much of use to advanced Maya/XSI/Houdini users who can transport the math principles shown on the DVD to their scripting language of choice. I work in Max and Maya and the principles that this DVD teaches are simply universal and can be used on any 3D software out there.

http://www.cg-academy.net/pages/topic_maxscript/dvds_MAXScript_advanced_01/dvds_maxscript_advanced_01.php

Cheers

eek
03-11-2006, 07:27 PM
sweet ill order this today!

boomji
03-13-2006, 05:17 AM
finally !!!
Thanks a ton bobo/cgacademy...Excellent content.

b

Chris Thomas
03-13-2006, 04:35 PM
No problem ;), We'll be working with Bobo in future to produce more DVDs in the Advanced MAXScript series. We're working on formulating possible titles at the momment. Any requests as to things you (and others) would like to see in future titles?

Cheers

boomji
03-14-2006, 05:01 AM
hi chris,
well pretty much everything is out there by now...all top stuff.
If you can do something like Gnomon Nuke DVD 2(in premise) where the artist breaks down a real world shot and describes his methodologies.
I gain trmendous insight with such an appoach and can pick and choose to adapt/ignore based on my situation.

as far as within max...after bobo's matrix(and similar) DVD's i'd be hard pressed to ask for more...i'd have no excuse to ;) .Unless i'd want a siggraph paper elucidated :scream: .

will ask a few peeps from work and put up a list of topics they'd want though.

thanks
b

Chris Thomas
03-15-2006, 11:10 AM
"well pretty much everything is out there by now...all top stuff. If you can do something like Gnomon Nuke DVD 2(in premise) where the artist breaks down a real world shot and describes his methodologies."

Not sure how this relates to MAXScript? i.e. is everything already "out there"? But anyway... think of it this way, Boomj, you may have it all wrapped scripting wise, but our Advanced DVDs (as with all measuring systems) still cover a broad range of skill levels, from higher intermediate to higher advanced levels. So maybe future DVDs in the MAXScript series are more relavent to the higher int to mid advanced MAXScript users out there i.e those still with sizable holes in their overall scripting knowledge?

You know how DVDs work (and why they are so popular) is that they cut down months of trial an error and get you to a much higher level in a VERY short period, and I think its that aspect that puts them apart from books. So, any requests for int-advanced level topics, problems and projects are welcome. I'm sure there is a lot more ground to cover in MAXScript and to date people have really valued our DVDs on this topic. Indeed, they have turned out to much more popular than I initially anticipated, seems the Max user base is powering up out there :)

Cheers

Chris Thomas
03-21-2006, 01:04 PM
Well, armed with the new math skills I learnt from The Matrix: Explained DVD, I decided to go back and revise an old Particle Flow project I started a few years back. The goal was to create a spline based vortex system. One that could be animated and the vortex would form a nice stable system around it, with a little bit of random behaviour thrown in.

http://www.christopher-thomas.net/alpha/vortex.mov

Anyway, that first system was not too successfull, it used a large number of force spacewarps all spaced along the spline, and the main issue was getting them all to work in concert and be controlable (they didn't, they were'nt...). This new system uses Orbaz's Box#3 for Particle Flow, and with it I've built 3 new custom Operators for PFlow.

Centrifugal Force
Axial Suction
Upward Suction

And all three work together to produce the vortex you can see here. The system uses mostly vector math, and the DVD really helped me in that respect. Also, kudos to Box#3, its a great system. I put this new system together in little over a day, and even though its totally custom, it still calculates faster than my original multi spacewarp cludge.

Cheers

CGTalk Moderation
03-21-2006, 01:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.