PDA

View Full Version : New Finished Models Gallery Proposal

newellteapot
03-07-2006, 10:28 AM
Hi modellers and sculptors!
I posted, in the suggestions section, a poll to have a NEW FINISHED MODELS GALLERY in CGtalk, where people can post stills of their finished modeling work.
This is an idea that another member originally proposed, Yolao, and that I really like.
Please read some of the reasons the reasons and vote vote vote:)

These are some of the reasons:

1)It would make many modellers happier to post their work, as it would be in a dedicated gallery, where you can get a different quality of exposure than in the WIP section (the difference between showing your creation in the workshop or in a gallery)

2)The recent advance of Zbrush is creating a generation of modellers/sculptors.
As, traditionally, sculpting is an art that has mostly asked the artist to create a sculpture with no color or lighting or else, I can't see why this tendency shouldn't be reflected in this site.

3)As Yolao justly pointed out, modeling, like other aspects of 3D, is a form of art on its own right, not just a step towards something else.

4) It is true that you can post your model in the WIP section, but I found myself pressured to "finish" the work as to obtain a final mapped and lighted etc still, which is not what I wanted at that stage.
Professional modellers and people that are trying to learn this subject in depth might not be interested, for personal or professioanl reasons, to embark in mapping and lighting and so at that particular moment. Although I think it is true that it is a very thing for artist to grasp all aspects of 3D, I don't understand why they should be pressured to do something that is not at the top of their interests or needs at that particular specific moment.

5)One last thing is the market, at list the one I know here in Britain, is pushing artist to be generalists but specializing in one subject. Why not give people that are specializing in modeling the opportunity to show their final models wihout been pressured to get to other stages?
http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=155

newellteapot
03-16-2006, 02:29 PM
Hi everyone!

The poll is going pretty well but we need more votes!
Come on Zbrush people, this FINISHED MODELS GALLERY is aimed at people like you (and me), that are into modeling and would like to have more exposure.
So, go to the Suggestions section in Cgtalk and vote vote vote!
:)

CGTalk Moderation
03-16-2006, 02:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.