PDA

View Full Version : Problem with flipped normals

schyzomaniac
03-07-2006, 01:43 AM
Hi everyone,
I modeled an object in Zbrush with different subdivision levels (6). Now I recognized, that my UVs are messed up. I followed a guide and went to subdivision level 1, exported the mesh as an OBJ, adjusted the UVs in Maya and exported the mesh back to zBrush. The problem is that my faces are flipped on subdivision level 1 when I import the mesh. When i go to a higher level, everything is messed up. I tried to use the flip-button, but it wont work since I got more than one subD level allready. I also tried to flip the normals in Maya, and to export the OBJ with flipped normals from within ZBrush. None of that worked so far.
Is there any solution for getting my mesh back to ZBrush with the normals pointing the correct direction? I don't want to model all of my details again.

Any help or pointer is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
daniel | schyzomaniac

ernia
03-07-2006, 04:17 AM
Hi,
I had a similar problem. See if this helps you:

http://206.145.80.239/zbc/showthread.php?t=33211

ernia

schyzomaniac
03-07-2006, 03:06 PM
Hi,
thanks for the tip, but unfortunately it didn't solve my problem. It seems that ZBrush has difficulties if you want to import planes/grids or plane-like geometry. I had to remodel everything from scratch.

cheers,
daniel | schyzomaniac

eblondin
03-07-2006, 05:59 PM
did you make sure that you had create multiple meshes turned off on the import .obj options in maya?

CGTalk Moderation
03-07-2006, 05:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.