PDA

View Full Version : What's Next After Project Phoenix?

Vizfizz
03-06-2006, 10:19 PM
Well I'm glad you asked. Project Phoenix will be completing its run on the 22nd of March. Some lucky winner will be sporting some cool ILM gear. But what happens after that? Well, I'm currently brainstorming up some ideas. We could always do another contest, but those need to be used sparingly. (Besides, the next one we do.. I want to up the ante somehow). Until then.. I have some ideas for other fun things we can attempt.

1. A collective art project utilizing EIAS users all around the globe. Each user is assigned a different task to complete or item to build/render and we work together to produce a final product.

2. Team competitions. This is may or may not be the next contest.. we'll see how it goes. But imagine two or more teams that have to produce a 10 to 15 second final animation. It would be even cooler if the contest required each team to render their animation through a world wide Renderama TCI/IP renderfarm. (Of course if that happened, the final animation and elements would have to be small).

3. Plugin Projects. Specific assignments/projects utilizing a single "hero" plugin. Say Onyxtree, Dante, or Blobmaker.

What kind of ideas do you have? I'd love to hear.

Giacomo_M
03-06-2006, 10:52 PM
I like the "specific plug-in project" idea.

Seeing Reuben's recent post with MrsBebel really showed me what it's capable of-- I'd like to be similarly impressed by other plug-ins.

GM

Vizfizz
03-06-2006, 10:55 PM
Yah.. it would be nice to set up a collective of threads dedicated to specific plugins showing off their capabilities. A lot of our plugins are really under utilized.

bronco
03-07-2006, 07:15 AM
nice ideas. i can see nice dante or let's say particle pojects to include pppro.
unfortunatly for me, i don't own any 3rd party stuff at all.
but i can play the cheerleader :applause:

Vizfizz
03-07-2006, 07:43 AM
Hmmm... sounds like this plugin idea is catching on. Which plugins would you like to see highlighted?

yhloon
03-07-2006, 08:30 AM
I would like to see some Plug-in "integration", Plugin communicate in each other, For instance, with Rodeo dynamics engine apply to Mr. Nitro, So the explosion pieces will collide to other object, Dante's Wind blow the FiberForge Hair etc-etc.

but I think EITG need to do something to the current API, and all plug in need to rewrite again...

is that possible?

Loon

halfworld
03-07-2006, 09:31 AM
I like all those ideas, however, I don't have that much 3rd party stuff (we have quite a bit really, it's just unintelligently spread over different dongles).

Loon, Nitro would need a rewrite, all its explosion fragments are contained in one group.
A way to get round this could be to pre-score the model in a modelling program then perhaps collide an invisible rODEo sphere with it to make it blow apart and use nitro for the dust etc. I'm teetering on the edge of getting Blaster, it's cheap now.... maybe we could have an explosion competition (it would certainly encourage me to buy it).

Maybe an Vis' FX brief, more specific then the nebulous Phoenix...
Ian

Reuben5150
03-07-2006, 12:00 PM
I would like to see some Plug-in "integration", Plugin communicate in each other, For instance, with Rodeo dynamics engine apply to Mr. Nitro, So the explosion pieces will collide to other object, Dante's Wind blow the FiberForge Hair etc-etc.

Loon

You know, one of the greatest plugins comes free, Ubershape !, really :)

Ubershape + Placer Deposit = Fur
Ubershape + Big Dipper = asteroid field
etc, etc

its great !

Reuben

mike33
03-07-2006, 05:32 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to pick up digital 3d/3d animation again, but this time for keeps. So from the struggling part time artist side of things I'd like to request reasonable projects that help improve my understanding of Nurbs, Nurb surfaces, good modeling techniques that help make a better model for animation, deformation, textures, and shaders in EIAS. In EIAS, I am embarrassed to say I have never gotten very far and I'm still learning the interface and how to deal with the whole application.

That's my 2 cents.

Mike
[Not sure if I'm going to make the Mar.22 deadline on project Pheonix, Looks like my eyes were bigger then my stomach... but will continue trying to make the deadline]

sacslacker
03-07-2006, 06:46 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what half of the available plugins do! =)

I'd really like to see some demonstrations of the more popular plugins. That, to me, would be of great value!

Vizfizz
03-08-2006, 12:51 AM
So if we had to choose a plugin to highlight, which one would you want? Anyone?

Giacomo_M
03-08-2006, 01:23 AM
Hm. I suppose one of the particle ones.

GM

bronco
03-08-2006, 07:38 AM
hmm, i'd like to see some really good work with particles, too.
something in the line with the old burning tire example on northerlights website. i have forgotten who made it.

it's a shame that the build in particle system is such b...s..., at least compared with other packages.

hey blair, any chance for dante lite bundled with eias? :)

SteveW928
03-08-2006, 09:04 AM
Or... maybe it could be a kind of 'pick your favorite plug-in, and feature it'. Points given for how exclusively and creatively the featured plug-in is used.

That way many plug-ins could get some exposure, and everyone could learn some great tricks.

-Steve

Vizfizz
03-08-2006, 04:08 PM
Oh I would like to get to all of them eventually. But something a bit more centralized where everyone is studying the same same thing is a bit more beneficial. Stay tuned. I'm thinking something up. :)

Reuben5150
03-10-2006, 12:08 AM
Well.. i'm rendering an animated asteroid demo right now :thumbsup:

Reuben

Vizfizz
04-03-2006, 11:16 PM
Hey everyone. What are some of the most requested 3D effects you can think of. If I make my list I would probably list:

1. Water (oceans)
2. Water (running)
3. Stationary and Moving Fire
4. Smoke
5. Lightrays
6. Explosions & weapons fire.
7. Dust and Debris
8. Fog
9. Fountains
10. Bullet holes or impact craters

We've touched on Water (oceans) in the Problem of the day: Storm. Since we discussed the idea of focusing on a plugin for the next community project...which of the effects above would you like to see discussed?

richardjoly
04-04-2006, 01:31 AM
Fire and smoke would be my first choices. Smoke being the one I have most problem with... For fire, I always did the requested jobs with billboard technique.

worx3d
04-04-2006, 03:34 AM
My votes would be: Particles, and hair... and that's because I have PPPro which I know how to work with, and also Fiberforge which I haven't done much with, and personally I have a hard time making it work they way I want it to.

Mrs Bebel would be cool for a second round. I don't have it but it looks sooo interesting.

Joel

halfworld
04-04-2006, 11:49 AM
Well a nice combination of those would be quite fun...

An explosion with dust, debris, smoke and fog :)

I've been looking for an excuse to buy Blaster... And I don't have a particle system (simply because they appear stagnant, although perhaps that's because they are so good ;) so maybe I need kicking into getting one of those as well. PPP is only 80 quid now. I can't see how much Dante is because the NL store is down...

Bebel will be mine very soon indeed, my boss finally cracked!
Ian

DickM
04-04-2006, 01:27 PM
Maybe I need to double check, but the last time I looked PPPro was broken. Everytime I did renders particles would just disapear. Anyone having a lot of success with PPpro in EIAS 6.5r? I'd love to have pppro working again, I loved that plug.

As far as contest plugin? I'd have to say Placer Deposit. That is probably the most under rated plug in. It does hair (kind of) grass, rocks, wind.....ect...

That's my vote.

It would be great if demo plugs were available that worked for 30 days. Let everyone have a copy so they can learn and use it. The winner wins a full version, and everyone else will probably buy it once they've fallen in love with it. Everybody wins including the developers of the plug. But this is just a dream ;)

bronco
04-04-2006, 02:08 PM
It would be great if demo plugs were available that worked for 30 days. Let everyone have a copy so they can learn and use it. The winner wins a full version, and everyone else will probably buy it once they've fallen in love with it. Everybody wins including the developers of the plug. But this is just a dream ;)

i second that! it would be a great way to open this contest to the masses. maybe limit the demo handouts to only registered contestants?

blair, igors, david? anyone?

yhloon
04-04-2006, 02:37 PM

me too! :)

tjs61822
04-04-2006, 03:44 PM
Here's a list of my favorites:

1. Fire & Smoke
2. Clouds
3. Hair
4. Water

Also another vote for Mrs. Bebel (& Mr. Revolver combo?).

Tim

Vizfizz
04-04-2006, 04:43 PM
I've been in talks with Blair about highlighting Dante along with other particle systems for EI. I don't really want to do a "plugin contest" but rather just a nice teaching series where everyone contributes. Timed demos for plugins are difficult to accomplish and reduced functionality doesn't really help anyone... give me a little more time to mull this one over. I'm finishing up on 2 films this week and my time should increase considerably after Friday.

worx3d
04-04-2006, 08:43 PM
Maybe I need to double check, but the last time I looked PPPro was broken. Everytime I did renders particles would just disapear. Anyone having a lot of success with PPpro in EIAS 6.5r? I'd love to have pppro working again, I loved that plug.

PPPro is my only particles plugin, I don't have Dante. I recently finished a project with particles and it ran very smoothly, worked like a charm. I have to say that the particles were a very heavy object (lots and lots of polygons each particle!) and I had no problem at all.

here's part of that render:

http://www.worx3d.com/forumpost/particles.mov

I remember I once had your problem, but a quick email to TripleD and an update fixed it. But that was a long time ago, what version of PPP do you have? mine is 2.1.8.1.

cheers

Joel

DickM
04-04-2006, 10:07 PM
That's very strange Joel. I have version 2.1.9, and I still get particles disappearing and reappearing. I did a project with bubbles emitting at 0 time, and nothing rendered until like 2 seconds in, then suddenly the whole screen filed with bubbles. Very strange things occur with my version. Maybe I should try an older version. Are you using 6.5r2 of EIAS?

Thanks

worx3d
04-04-2006, 10:33 PM
yes, EIAS 6.5r2 on a mac (Tiger 10.4.5). But wait, actually now that you mention it, I remember that this project had the same problem that you describe. It took about 15 frames for the first particle to appear, and then after that all went fine. Since the start time wasn't critical for me I forgot until now that you mention it. I just adjusted the animation of all other objects to 15 frames later, but I remember it seemed strange for me to see this delay. But as I said, after that everything worked fine.

The other problem I was talking about was with I think 2.1.6, and particles would dissapear for 1 frame at random times and then appear like nothing happened in the next frame, so the particles would flicker. But an update solved it.

have you contacted TripleD about this? please do and I will too.

cheers

J

DickM
04-04-2006, 11:55 PM
Yeah, I've had both of those problems. I asked someone on the platter about it and they said it was unlikely it would be updated. I'll try though. I'll try and recreate the problem and send it on to Mike.

Vizfizz
04-05-2006, 12:26 AM
I'd suggest routing it to Gar Spretz.. he'd be the one making the adjustments I believe.

CGTalk Moderation
04-05-2006, 12:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.