PDA

View Full Version : Metal rapid prototyping

DigitalNeutrinos
03-06-2006, 04:27 PM
I dont know the price of one of these, but damn I want one.
Im sure its in the 6 figure range.
http://www.gizmag.com/go/5312/

"The high speed electron beam system is the next generation of additive fabrication technology for rapid manufacturing of titanium parts," says Crump. "The machine creates parts comparable to wrought titanium and better than cast titanium, with a 95 percent powder recovery yield, which is unheard of in our industry."

Dennik
03-06-2006, 06:58 PM
I just can't wait untill the day that such fabrication technologies become available as consumer products. Untill then, i'd rather avoid the tease. They are not for us mere mortals. :(

GaryHaus
03-06-2006, 08:01 PM
Still it is VERY cool! That is crazy!

G

tufif
03-06-2006, 11:13 PM
Imagine having these installed in spacecrafts or submarines so they can print out spare parts or specialty tools whenever they are needed.

urgaffel
03-07-2006, 12:32 PM
Imagine making metal sculptures of your models :D And it's a swedish company too, go sweden :D

Dennik
03-07-2006, 01:01 PM
I bet in these future days, the device will come pretty cheap, and they will charge you way too much for the metal powder, just like they do with inkjet printers and ink today.

parallax
03-07-2006, 01:08 PM
Those platina refill cartridges are indeed quite expensive.

FloydBishop
03-07-2006, 01:21 PM
If anyone watches the show "American Chopper", they do make their own tools from time to time using the C&C machine. Last night's episode showed Vinnie make a wrench that he drew on the computer and fed through the machine. Within a little while, he had the exact wrench he needed for the job he had to do. Very cool.

ChrisThatGuy
03-07-2006, 01:21 PM
Now I can build my evil robot army.

WingedOne
03-07-2006, 01:29 PM
Now I can build my evil robot army.

Like this one?:

http://www.geocities.com/amazingrandy2001/SeenOnTV.html :twisted:

JYoung
03-07-2006, 02:16 PM
[puts on geordi visor]I want a replicator![/puts on geordi visor]

That's lookin sweet. Anyone want to put some money in and get an official CGTalk rapid prototype machine?

MrPositive
03-07-2006, 06:55 PM

That's lookin sweet. Anyone want to put some money in and get an official CGTalk rapid prototype machine?

I can't wait to see who gets first dibs on that....mass hysteria.

Dennik
03-07-2006, 07:01 PM

Actually, if Balistic Publishing would buy some kind of prototyping machinery that would create real life models out of the artwork we see in here (with a brave discount for members of course), i would be interested to buy them, probably more than a book of theirs.

CGTalk Moderation
03-07-2006, 07:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.