PDA

View Full Version : CD Burning speed.

Peace455
12-15-2002, 08:30 PM
Hello All,

I am about to order a CD Burner for my brother for christmas, and my question is, if I order a fast processor for him, does he need a fast processor for the burner to burn at high speed.

He has a 500mhz AMD, and currently has a 2X burner which works fine, but he need a much faster one, I am looking at a 24X to get him, I think that burning isn't based on the Processor but more as to how quick to information can be provided to the burner, but I'm not too sure, and wanted to get some advice before I order.

Thanks a lot.

Peace
M.

Also its a CW078D; 40x16x48x; Internal EIDE interface; Includes Nero software; Retail; 1 year Cyber warranty. In case that helps

thanks again

Clondike7
12-15-2002, 11:47 PM
Your right, burning isn't related to burning speed. However, the faster the burn and the lower performance PC means that when u burn a CD u pretty much cant do anything on the computer while its burning, because if its a slow processor and not much ram then all the data transfer is gonna need all it can get, so its bye bye to multi-tasking while u record. but yeah, a 40x will do him good, seeing he had a 2x, lets see thats just goin from about an hour recording a CD down to 4-5min.
I think I saw a 48x thats pretty cheap. check out tcwo.com or newegg.com

Clondike7
12-15-2002, 11:47 PM
Your right, burning isn't related to processor speed. However, the faster the burn and the lower performance PC means that when u burn a CD u pretty much cant do anything on the computer while its burning, because if its a slow processor and not much ram then all the data transfer is gonna need all it can get, so its bye bye to multi-tasking while u record. but yeah, a 40x will do him good, seeing he had a 2x, lets see thats just goin from about an hour recording a CD down to 4-5min.
I think I saw a 48x thats pretty cheap. check out tcwo.com or newegg.com

Peace455
12-15-2002, 11:54 PM
thanks very much:D

He doens't multi-task when he burn, and I think when he gets this new one, it will be so quick he won't have time to multi-task, but he know his computer has limited resources so when its doing something like burning to leave it alone, he usually jumps on to his PS2 and Vice City distracts him till the burn is done.

Thanks for the quick responce, I've just ordered the buner 20X for $50, wow what a good deal *(pricewatch.com) I might have to get myself a christmas burner as well, mine broke, and it was external:annoyed:

thanks again..

Happy Holidays everyone.:D

GregHess
12-16-2002, 12:08 AM
Most burners have a minimum systems requirement. You might want to make sure the burner your buying fits the system. An AMD K6-450 is a pretty damn slow processors....Equivilant to around a PII300 in FPU.

And remember, its not just CPU, but Disk speeds that determine maximum write speed. If the system can't sustain a certain bandwidth level, then it'll just coaster the burns over and over again.

Luckily most burners have the ability to run at slower then rated speeds. So if it does turn out he can't burn at 24x, he should be able to do 12x, which is still a substaintal increase in speed.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.