PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 3 Delay Discussed (as stated by chairman-CEO of Sony):X-MAS LAUCH?

RobertoOrtiz
03-06-2006, 02:01 PM
Quote:

"The PlayStation 3 --- which is being called "the poor man's Blue-ray" --- is vital to Sony's plans because it plays Blu-ray discs as well as videogames.

Sony will roll out the PS3 by year end, in time for the holidays. If PS3 "delivers what everyone thinks it will, the game is up," Stringer boasts.

Blu-ray is the system developed by Sony to view next-generation high-definition DVDs. Rival format HD DVD is championed by Toshiba. Microsoft recently joined the HD DVD camp, a move that came as its Xbox 360 videogame console is trying to grab market share from PlayStation, the industry leader.

Software makers, electronics firms and Hollywood studios have lined up behind one or the other, or both."

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117939258?categoryid=18&cs=1&s=h&p=0

-R

mister3d
03-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Thats the most logical step:they will have cheaper technology,better smash-hit games.Cheaper,better quality,and just half a year.

innermindseye
03-06-2006, 02:20 PM
the link isnt working for me? I hope im not just being n00b. :-/

EDIT: it seems the site http://www.variety.com/ is down, so that could possibly be the reason. ;-)

its working now :rolleyes:

Dr. Nick
03-06-2006, 02:56 PM
The thing is are they talking about a delay for the US launch or are they talking about a delay for the Japanese launch as well? Most realistic expectations for the PS3 by people who follow the video game industry were always for the PS3 to launch around fall/winter of this year in the US where it would be guaranteed to be the hottest gift available for the holidays. Spring time or summertime of this year just doesn't make sense for the US launch/European launch. After the shortages for the Xbox 360 I doubt they would have enough time to get enough systems ready for a simultaneous launch this Spring(Xbox 20 million consoles sold and the second one sells out for a while. PS2 100 million sold...I expect they will need a greater number of system for a world wide launch than Microsoft did. Also the fact that they didn't finish the RSX until recently kind of suggest a delay but until summer for Japan). Spring Launch for Japan on the other hand does because the PS2 was released there March 2000 if I remember correctly. Many people expect it to be pushed back into summer time for Japan but this might be the first time I've heard of a winter release for the Japanese launch if they are talking about the PS3 for all regions that is.

pixelmonk
03-06-2006, 02:58 PM
all I can say is... HAAAA HAAAA!

innermindseye
03-06-2006, 03:17 PM
all I can say is... HAAAA HAAAA!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHaaa!

EDIT: no but seriously. they had it coming. sony spilled out the most unbelievable hype engine i have yet to see in my short life. i watched all 3 e3 presentations for the major consoles and sony made me furious at how ignorant they assumed the consumer to be.

From doing cg for a while now you get to have a better persepctive on things than the average consumer. Sony made empty promises and slanderous remarks towards other manufacturers all the way and have now failed to deliver.

Hopefully sony will lean more towards an 'honesty is the best policy' stratergy like MS did with the xbox. The e3 show was very lack lustre but that is because it was realistic. I for one would MUCH prefer to hear what i WILL be getting rather than what i WISH i would be getting, a la sony. it seems strange as you would assume the morals of the eastern philosophy to have more integrity of that of the western, but there you have it....

RobertoOrtiz
03-06-2006, 03:27 PM
Funny how deciding to go with the Blue-Ray drive is going to cost them dearly.
They handed Microsoft a ONE YEAR lead in the market.
That is one HELL of a foothold.

And to make things worst Revolution will come out soon
-R

skyfinch
03-06-2006, 03:32 PM
And if Microsoft would have gotten their ass in gear, they could had a massive lead. But not making enough systems to meet the high demands was one of the worse things that they could have done. I'm sure their lead could be double, or even triple what it will be by the time PS3 launches.

innermindseye
03-06-2006, 03:43 PM
Funny how deciding to go with the Blue-Ray drive is going to cost them dearly.
They handed Microsoft a ONE YEAR lead in the market.
That is one HELL of a foothold.

And to make things worst Revolution will come out soon
-R

lol. i KNOW! its quite something isnt it? who would have thought. i never under-estimated sony. evn though i didnt believe what they were stating and showing, i still thought they would be huge market leaders because of how loyal their fan base is. But theyve really shot themselves in the foot. they just needed to get something out there. 'anything!' it could have been a box with a hamster in there squirting ink on ur tv with a stik to poke the box and it would have sold. big time. oh well. couldnt have happened to a better company :-)

GatorNic
03-06-2006, 03:44 PM
Yes I am already invisioning the pandomonium I will see on television as parents and gamers are scrambling into stores to get one for christmas. ie. furby and tickle me elmo.

innermindseye
03-06-2006, 03:48 PM
And if Microsoft would have gotten their ass in gear, they could had a massive lead. But not making enough systems to meet the high demands was one of the worse things that they could have done. I'm sure their lead could be double, or even triple what it will be by the time PS3 launches.

i dont think so. the demand for the 360 is going to bottom out long before the release of the ps3. there arent enough games at the mo for the 360 to be flying off the shelf anyway and thats not MS' fault. by the time the games hit the shelves (like ghsot recon and fight night coming out soon) consoles will be all over the place. They are around where i live. Ive had mine for a few weeks now and it wasnt hard to find.

Dr. Nick
03-06-2006, 03:48 PM
I have to agree with him though. Microsoft is trying to force Sony's hand and it might end up costing them dearly if they launch any earlier than that. I doubt if any note worthy game will be finished before then the way things are going. This is also the first chance Sony has for owning a truly successful format. Microsoft should have delayed the Japanese to at least Feb/March this year and but because they were being impatient in a place they were already doing poorly in they made a horrible mistake that might not only hurt them but all of the Japanese devs that are currently making games for the system and these mistakes just might be "there forever."

Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against Microsoft and own a 360 just pointing out Microsoft’s tactics may have actually hurt them in the end.

innermindseye
03-06-2006, 04:00 PM
I have to agree with him though. Microsoft is trying to force Sony's hand and it might end up costing them dearly if they launch any earlier than that. I doubt if any note worthy game will be finished before then the way things are going. This is also the first chance Sony has for owning a truly successful format. Microsoft should have delayed the Japanese to at least Feb/March this year and but because they were being impatient in a place they were already doing poorly in they made a horrible mistake that might not only hurt them but all of the Japanese devs that are currently making games for the system and these mistakes just might be "there forever."

Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against Microsoft and own a 360 just pointing out Microsoft’s tactics may have actually hurt them in the end.

Giving your post the utmost respect, i am not sure how the early release of the console has caused them any problems in asia? Why would it have benefitted them to delay the xbox? Surely an earlier release ensures the most consoles to be out by the time the ps3 hits shelves.

There are no outrageous must have titles at the moment, but gr3 and fight night are damn close, and there is so much more to come. 360 fan base is growing day by day as people are seeing what it is capable of. the live/gamerprofile service is nothing short of genius and sony cant compete with that. i predict the greatest console war to be seen ever, and we the consumers can just sit back and revel in it :)

Sonk
03-06-2006, 04:36 PM
Umm, did you guys even read the article..theres nothing "official" about it. Talk about jumping to conclusion...<rolleyes>.

Signal2Noise
03-06-2006, 04:48 PM
So...if the PS3 is in fact delayed I wonder if the Halo 3 release will be held back, too?

xino
03-07-2006, 04:05 AM
Umm, did you guys even read the article..theres nothing "official" about it. Talk about jumping to conclusion...<rolleyes>.

I doubt it since most people here seem to be fanboys/girls of a single console while hating every other one out there for ridiculous reasons. I personally don't get it.

Michael5188
03-07-2006, 06:01 AM
How has anything anyone said on this thread implied they were fanboys of one console? Looks like a pretty fair discussion to me...

Kion
03-07-2006, 06:26 AM
i don't think thats official, variety says that it is delayed untill 2006 holiday season not Stringer, no where in article is he quoted as saying that. I'll wait until some one from sony makes an official statement.

innermindseye
03-07-2006, 07:38 AM
uuuuh... yeeeaaa.... Roberto, im looking at you for this one.

I just saw that it was you who posted the thread and assumed that it was valid. I had problems reading the article in the first instance. When i checked later the article seemed huge, and wasnt headered with the consoles delay.....
anyway dont look at me, take a look at the thread header one more time:

Playstation 3 Delay Official (as stated by chairman-CEO of Sony):X-MAS LAUCH

mustique
03-07-2006, 10:22 AM
whenever PS3 launches, I think sony will be just be fine.

By the time PS3 launches, the XBOX360 will be perceived as "old news" by average consumers.

Sonk
03-07-2006, 02:42 PM
http://www.gametab.com/news/502843/

"In an interview with Variety, he said that if PS3 "delivers what everyone thinks it will, the game is up", apparently referring to the battle between Blu-ray and HD-DVD. Speaking about Blu-ray, he said, "Once Microsoft picked sides it was clear we were going to be in a battle royale. We won't be stampeded" [by Microsoft]."

Whether its delay is really a mute point, because its going to sale like hot cakes. Even if it comes out in the Holiday season, its a good thing, the third party developers would have more time to polish their games, instead of rushing them out ala the XBOX 360.

Personally i wont mind waiting for a Holiday season reason for the PS3 both in NA, and Japan. Coming out first on the market doesnt mean anything(seems Microsoft doesnt understand that concept, while Nintendo and Sony get their product ready).

lesson of the day, read before you post..dont assume anything. it has happen many times in different thread here at cgtalk.

Mysterious X
03-07-2006, 02:58 PM
for some..it's more time to save up so it isn't really a bad thing :D

pixelmonk
03-07-2006, 03:00 PM
Whether its delay is really a mute point, because its going to sale like hot cakes. Even if it comes out in the Holiday season, its a good thing, the third party developers would have more time to polish their games, instead of rushing them out ala the XBOX 360.

Personally i wont mind waiting for a Holiday season reason for the PS3 both in NA, and Japan. Coming out first on the market doesnt mean anything(seems Microsoft doesnt understand that concept, while Nintendo and Sony get their product ready).

hahaha I love how people defend slipping deadlines and failed milestones by blasting those who actually deliver their product on time.

pixelmonk
03-07-2006, 03:03 PM

By the time PS3 launches, the XBOX360 will be perceived as "old news" by average consumers.

nah. By the time PS3 launches, XBOX360 games will finally catch up with the hardware. How soon we forget that PS2 and Xbox games that were released at launch, up until a year afterwards were pretty much "standard" or just "ok". It takes a while for developers to suck as much out of the gaming system as they possibly can. Just look at the games released at the PS2 and XBox launches compared to the ones recently released for both platforms.

Old news? Think not fan boys. The only old news is the fact that Xbox360 is out. Now it's up to the game developers to deliver.

Sonk
03-07-2006, 03:04 PM
hahaha I love how people defend slipping deadlines and failed milestones by blasting those who actually deliver their product on "time".

Im not defending any company, i just dont like rush out software or hardware(games or 3DCG software). Since when was the deadline ever slip with Sony? I recall them saying Spring 06 launch since last year E3 ;) And with the Revolution, i dont think Nintendo ever estimited a launch window(correct me if im wrong).

Get your facts straight and stop acting like a ignorant fanboy. Plus being first out in the market doesnt mean anything, if you dont know your console history..too bad.

SupRore
03-07-2006, 03:07 PM

If it happened like that, nobody would have ever made PS2 or GCN games.

Sonk
03-07-2006, 03:13 PM
If it happened like that, nobody would have ever made PS2 or GCN games.

He said average consumer, they arent really hot on the heals of every game news like we are. So they might preceive it being "old news". In Japan, more people are interested in the Revolution and PS3 than they are XBOX 360, preception is a funny thing i guess..since those 2 console arent even out yet.

SupRore
03-07-2006, 03:18 PM
He said average consumer, they arent really hot on the heals of every game news like we are. So they might preceive it being "old news". In Japan, more people are interested in the Revolution and PS3 than they are XBOX 360, preception is a funny thing i guess..since those 2 console arent even out yet.

But that part is simple. Japan doesn't care about American consoles.

PS2 was the lead console this last cycle, even though it came a year before the (vastly more powerful) Xbox. The PS3 is barely stronger than the 360. Without the fame of the ps2, there'd be no way it'd do even as well as the xbox1 did.

Sonk
03-07-2006, 03:24 PM
But that part is simple. Japan doesn't care about American consoles.

PS2 was the lead console this last cycle, even though it came a year before the (vastly more powerful) Xbox. The PS3 is barely stronger than the 360. Without the fame of the ps2, there'd be no way it'd do even as well as the xbox1 did.

And yet MS allocated so many unit and they couldnt even sale...it just amazing how smart MS is(sarcism).. PS name brand can only take a console so far, i dont buy the PS brand console just because its a PlayStation, i buy it for the games. its always been about the games, that is the driving factor(not power). Same reason i wont camp out on the street come launch just to a PS3 and some lame launch titles..

So name brand is a weak point, PS just had more great software title compare to its competition.

Anyway, were going way off topic..so lets get back on it. The Variety article was wrong, Stringer never said anything about a delay. Whether there might be a delay, thats for another thread for another time to discuss.

Kentaro
03-07-2006, 03:47 PM
Trust me there will be a delay for the PS3. A limited release of 3 million consoles for one year at best. A release in Japan is another story. Follow the technology and whats being done to it. Sony has attacks on both sides. Apple and Microsoft, and Hollywood. Go figure ?

there has been no official release date for Halo 3. But study and be on the look out for Gears of War and Oblivion/Ghost Recon to be the 360's flag ship till Halo 3 arrives.

I predict Halo 3 will drop next summer, when the Halo movie reaches theatres. Perfect marketing ploy. Halo 2007 game and Movie.

Plus PS3 will be priced at $900 take home pay.

360 will then drop price to $299 when mass production is established and consoles are then able to occupy the shelves. As of now there still seling pretty fast in the market. So someone is buying them.

Costco and Best Buy cant keep the ones they get no longer than 15 minutes.

SupRore
03-07-2006, 04:16 PM
Halo in the summer would make sense, but I can't shake the feeling they'll go with that 'PS3 launch day' thing.
Holiday 06, X360 at 399 and Halo3 on the shelves with it. That would hurt the PS3 launch more than anything.

Kion
03-07-2006, 05:58 PM
Trust me there will be a delay for the PS3. A limited release of 3 million consoles for one year at best. A release in Japan is another story. Follow the technology and whats being done to it. Sony has attacks on both sides. Apple and Microsoft, and Hollywood. Go figure ?

there has been no official release date for Halo 3. But study and be on the look out for Gears of War and Oblivion/Ghost Recon to be the 360's flag ship till Halo 3 arrives.

I predict Halo 3 will drop next summer, when the Halo movie reaches theatres. Perfect marketing ploy. Halo 2007 game and Movie.

Plus PS3 will be priced at $900 take home pay.

360 will then drop price to $299 when mass production is established and consoles are then able to occupy the shelves. As of now there still seling pretty fast in the market. So someone is buying them.

Costco and Best Buy cant keep the ones they get no longer than 15 minutes.

wow so much insider information you must work for sony

richcz3
03-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Sony as whole has been made bad decisions over the last few years.
In any case, the Blue Ray DVD advantages are already diminishing. Several of the Blue Ray supporters are now hedging their bets with production of HD-DVD players. There is also a new chip that will be available soon that will enable hardware developers to play both HD and Blue Ray discs on one player. OUCH.

PhilOsirus
03-07-2006, 09:49 PM
There is nothing official in there about a delay (even if we all know it won't be released in spring). The title should be changed.

heavyness
03-07-2006, 10:02 PM
There is nothing official in there about a delay (even if we all know it won't be released in spring). The title should be changed.

agreed. the delay is not official. it was simply the writer implying the delay.

heavyness
03-07-2006, 10:23 PM
some more chatter about this topic...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2006/03/07/news_6145553.html?part=rss&tag=gs_&subj=6145553

After UBS analyst Mike Wallace asked about how a November PS3 launch would affect Take-Two's 2006 fiscal year, Eibler clammed up entirely. "I'm going to go underneath your question," he said. "In terms of when is PlayStation 3 really going to launch ... our crystal ball really doesn't address that, and we certainly look at Sony in terms of further information there."

BigJay
03-07-2006, 10:45 PM
When I got my PSP it took a year for the titles that really pushed the hardware to come out. I wonder if the PS3 will come out just as the the Xbox titles come out that push that system. Are developers on the PS3 continuing to develop while waiting for a release date or are they making xbox ports in the mean time.

I guess we'll know in Dec.

laureato di arte
03-08-2006, 07:47 AM
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3148656

innermindseye
03-08-2006, 08:09 AM
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3148656

well.... first game 1-0 to microsoft. theyve managed to get a years foothold on the market without a single competitor. At least they can start trying to earn some of that money back now.

O-T::
oh btw to anyone whos interested. my team leads went to x-fest recently for work purposes and they were shown an i-toy killer. The 360 camera can create full 3d models of your head complete with bones and facial animations ready for use in game in 30 seconds!!

we saw the footage and the graphics are amazing. imagine playing tiger woods on xbox live and both you and the competitor know exactly what each other look like, not to mention the voice. with lips moving in unison. ladies and gentle men, the future is now!

laureato di arte
03-08-2006, 09:41 AM
well.... first game 1-0 to microsoft. theyve managed to get a years foothold on the market without a single competitor. At least they can start trying to earn some of that money back now.

O-T::
oh btw to anyone whos interested. my team leads went to x-fest recently for work purposes and they were shown an i-toy killer. The 360 camera can create full 3d models of your head complete with bones and facial animations ready for use in game in 30 seconds!!

we saw the footage and the graphics are amazing. imagine playing tiger woods on xbox live and both you and the competitor know exactly what each other look like, not to mention the voice. with lips moving in unison. ladies and gentle men, the future is now!

is that the one with the four cameras placed around the room? i posted a topic on that but i didnt get much replies...:sad:

innermindseye
03-08-2006, 10:51 AM
is that the one with the four cameras placed around the room? i posted a topic on that but i didnt get much replies...:sad:

umm, im not sure if there were four cameras, but he said he had to rotate hhis head form left to right. it took about a minute but they said theyd have that down to about 30 seconds by the time it comes to launch. i realy like the idea of being able to put ur head into the games. if everyone gets into it. im sure ull see some grannys doing their fare share of fragging in battlefield.

heavyness
03-08-2006, 07:37 PM
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/03/08/gdc-director-confirms-new-ps3-info-at-show/

In an interview (http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/interview/?id=12048) with GameDaily, GDC Director Jamil Moledina has confirmed that Sony's Phil Harrison will reveal some much needed details about the PlayStation 3 during his keynote. In response to being asked if there would be new info, Moledina bluntly replied, "The answer is yes," before going on to promise the keynote would "contain significant editorial value and developer takeaway."

CGTalk Moderation
03-08-2006, 07:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.