PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations King Kong!

jeremybirn
03-06-2006, 12:29 AM
Congratulations King Kong on winning Best Visual Effects!!

-jeremy

BillB
03-06-2006, 12:30 AM
whooo - go Kiwi's!

rblitz7
03-06-2006, 12:31 AM
Well that was fast! lol.

nixx
03-06-2006, 12:32 AM
Whoa - talk about real-time forum posting ! :)

Congratulations to the incredible team behind this amazing achievement.

nick

jeremybirn
03-06-2006, 12:33 AM
And congratulations to Wallace & Grommit for Best Animated Feature as well!

-jeremy

rblitz7
03-06-2006, 12:34 AM
Wait was it just me or did they only show nominees Narnia and Kong?

nixx
Ok Jeremy, let's see if someone beats you to posting the next one :p

nick

Ollarin
LOL! I just turned my head after they announced it and Jeremy posted it! You're fast! :p

jeremybirn
03-06-2006, 12:35 AM
Wait was it just me or did they only show nominees Narnia and Kong?

They showed all 3 including War of The Worlds.

-jeremy

jeremybirn
03-06-2006, 12:35 AM
LOL! I just turned my head after they announced it and Jeremy posted it! You're fast! :p

You were just watching poor Dolly Parton who couldn't afford enough gown to cover herself...

-jeremy

Ollarin
03-06-2006, 12:38 AM
You were just watching poor Dolly Parton who couldn't afford enough gown to cover herself...
Forgive me...But she's scary to me...She's still singing! AHHH!

Wait! She just stopped singing! WOOOHOOO!

nixx
03-06-2006, 12:41 AM
Head on over to Oscar.com guys, the backstage interview of the Weta leads is up right now.

nick

CipherFX
03-06-2006, 12:41 AM
They showed the clip of War of the Worlds where the freeway was getting destroyed.
I personally thought War of the Worlds should have won, since I found issues with some of the compositing in Kong. But of course, the performance and the creation of the character of Kong himself was a herculian task, and Weta rose to the task.

Congratulations to their team, and Jeff Unay a fellow alum.

nixx
03-06-2006, 12:49 AM
Nick Park and Steve Box are up right now. And thirsty, too :)

nick

Ollarin
03-06-2006, 01:00 AM
WOOO! Narnia won for Makeup!

Congratulations to Narnia makeup team! :D

prelot
03-06-2006, 01:04 AM
Great!!! they really deserve it
Congratulation to Weta!

JeroenDStout
03-06-2006, 01:42 AM
Ooh, that president guy is on.

Aren't we swell :D ooooh, and everybody, do visit theatres to see movies!

jeremybirn
03-06-2006, 01:57 AM
Ooh, that president guy is on.

Aren't we swell :D ooooh, and everybody, do visit theatres to see movies!

I guess movie theaters are the new Hollywood charity cause.

At least the Kiwis who keep winning don't scold us for not watching films in theaters anymore.

-jeremy

SheepFactory
03-06-2006, 02:32 AM
Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures (Original Song) (http://www.oscar.com/oscarnight/winners/bestsongcategory.html)

"IT'S HARD OUT HERE FOR A PIMP" FROM HUSTLE & FLOW (http://www.oscar.com/oscarnight/winners/bestsongcategory.html)
Music and Lyric by Jordan Houston, Cedric Coleman and Paul Beauregard (http://www.oscar.com/oscarnight/winners/bestsongcategory.html)

I think oscars lost whatever credibility they had left with this one..

jeremybirn
03-06-2006, 02:35 AM

I was surprised they gave an award to something people actually were listening to.

-jeremy

JeroenDStout
03-06-2006, 02:39 AM
Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures (Original Song) (http://www.oscar.com/oscarnight/winners/bestsongcategory.html)

"IT'S HARD OUT HERE FOR A PIMP" FROM HUSTLE & FLOW (http://www.oscar.com/oscarnight/winners/bestsongcategory.html)
Music and Lyric by Jordan Houston, Cedric Coleman and Paul Beauregard (http://www.oscar.com/oscarnight/winners/bestsongcategory.html)

But - but - that song was so original!

Digit
03-06-2006, 03:30 AM
Crash?! You have got to be kidding.........:shrug:

puch
03-06-2006, 03:32 AM
Great!!! they really deserve it
Congratulation to Weta!

Woowww! It seems the only way for Weta not to win is to not participate. 4 Awards in 5 Years. Surely is a record!!!

shy-guy
03-06-2006, 03:33 AM
Congratulations to the Kong team :thumbsup:

And i loved Crash, very cool for them too :)

jeremybirn
03-06-2006, 03:34 AM
Crash?! You have got to be kidding.........:shrug:

I rented that one through Netflix. It was OK, some parts were funny, but not brilliant or anything. It was the kind of heavy-handed message film that makes all the characters speak with the same voice so you can tell they were all written by the same person.

-jeremy

Digit
03-06-2006, 03:39 AM
I rented that one through Netflix. It was OK, some parts were funny, but not brilliant or anything. It was the kind of heavy-handed message film that makes all the characters speak with the same voice so you can tell they were all written by the same person.

-jeremy

Good point. I mean, Crash obviously has its heart in the right place. I dont doubt the intentions of the filmmakers at all but its just wasn't very good. Maybe if they'd concentrated on just one story then it wouldnt have felt so shallow. And it really felt like it was tying so hard to be Magnolia too. Just my opinion...

Wow, that was a real shock!

MrPositive
03-06-2006, 03:40 AM
I cannot even get onto my two movie forums because ironically the sites have "crashed" after Crash winning Best Picture. People are livid.

Sil3
03-06-2006, 03:44 AM
Well...i was glad that Crash won the best picture, to me it was the best of the nominees by far.

Congrats Weta for Kong :thumbsup:

MrPositive
03-06-2006, 03:50 AM
I personally want to congratulate John Canemaker who was our Keynote Speaker of IUPUI's Visionfest last year. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. And how about 2D and claymation beating out the 3D movies. 2D is not dead!

rblitz7
03-06-2006, 04:05 AM
hmm crash was good but Im not sure if i would call it best picture.:wise: All in all each movie had something special.:thumbsup: Congratulations to all the winners!!:scream:

nitindesign
03-06-2006, 04:15 AM
I would have liked "war of the worlds" to pick few awards...atleast something for sound!

RobW720
03-06-2006, 04:19 AM
Im glad for the winners. I did prefer Crash to Brokeback.... both were just great movies. Hell, all of the ones that were nominated ruled. great storytelling.

But i think the biggest nod of the night goes to Philip Seymour Hoffman. He has played second fiddle in so many flicks im glad he got it.

Go Wallace and Gromit!

jeremybirn
03-06-2006, 04:25 AM
We all think of Fall as "Oscar Season" when studios roll-out the "quality" films of the ilk likely to be Oscar contenders. Now Crash, a film that noteably came out in the Spring and was already out on home video prior to the nominations, has won.

I can't help but think that the 2007 and 2008 movie seasons will be influenced by this, with more films in the quality/indie genre coming out earlier in the year, especially when the kind of films that get Best Picture noms are the type of film that few people see in theaters.

-jeremy

NUKE-CG
03-06-2006, 04:40 AM
I knew they would win.

Congrats Weta, go Kiwi! indeed.

KolbyJukes
03-06-2006, 04:54 AM
I was really disappointed to see Capote and Brokeback lose to Crash for Best Picture, but, eh, that's how it goes. At least Philip Seymor Hoffman nabbed best actor.

Oh, ang congrats to weta, great news! I would have been happy if WotW won too, both were breathtaking.

and woot! for Wallace and Grommit.

leigh
03-06-2006, 06:19 AM
Yeah congrats to everyone!! Kong truly set a new precident for digital characters and I think it's fantastic that Weta received recognition for that :)

jason-slab
03-06-2006, 06:50 AM
AMAZING, great work to everyone at Weta!!

js

xino
03-06-2006, 07:05 AM
Congrats to Weta indeed. Some of the best character animation I've seen.

I have to say that the award for best acceptance speech goes to 3-6 Mafia. Screw the uptight white guys. ;)

zzacmann
03-06-2006, 07:15 AM
"in case anyone at home is keeping score that's Martin Scorcese, zero Oscars : 3 6 Mafia, one"

Oh, the humanity.

Now I admit that I wasnt impressed with any of the songs nominated but when a guy wearing a crooked ball cap and baggy jeans wins an Oscar and thanks "his moms" (plural, but meant as singular) it kind of knocks the Oscars down a couple of notches in my book. I mean come on. They wrote a song/rap about PIMPS for crying out loud. No matter how many GAP commercial dancers they fit on the stage with them, its still a song about PIMPS people! Is this the gauge by which we measure our best performances? This is the same crap they play everyday on MTV 2.

They should have given it to Dolly just because shes had a career thats lasted longer than 15 minutes.

Of course this is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

kmest
03-06-2006, 07:17 AM
congrats to weta and nick park for oscars.....both did brilliant works.......they deserve it

some how i didnt liked the overal oscar this year........

and shame on them for not giving any awards to reveng of the sith(even not nominating it for more than two).....technicaly that movie was the best(IMO):)

leigh
03-06-2006, 07:42 AM
"in case anyone at home is keeping score that's Martin Scorcese, zero Oscars : 3 6 Mafia, one"

Oh, the humanity.

Now I admit that I wasnt impressed with any of the songs nominated but when a guy wearing a crooked ball cap and baggy jeans wins an Oscar and thanks "his moms" (plural, but meant as singular) it kind of knocks the Oscars down a couple of notches in my book. I mean come on. They wrote a song/rap about PIMPS for crying out loud. No matter how many GAP commercial dancers they fit on the stage with them, its still a song about PIMPS people! Is this the gauge by which we measure our best performances? This is the same crap they play everyday on MTV 2.

They should have given it to Dolly just because shes had a career thats lasted longer than 15 minutes.

Of course this is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Yeah... I have to agree. I mean, those guys even SWORE during their acceptance speech. Don't they have any idea of class or how to behave at an event like the Oscars? I was pretty appalled myself. Not to mention the fact that I thought the song was absolutely horrendous. I guess there is no accounting for taste :shrug:

vfx
03-06-2006, 08:45 AM
To the comments about 'It's hard out here as a pimp' - have you seen the film?? The song works very well and goes with the films context very well!...however I do totally agree - where's the damn manners!!

Wow, That was a real nice Oscar ceremony! That said, I just kept thinking throughout the show...these so called people that we name stars - man do we give them too much freedom, fame and money!! The world just ain't right! ah but thats just jealousy talking surely. They should really be giving awards out - saying hey you made it above the rest to be here, well done! LOL

Anyways... I was so digging the Set design - old school cinema exterior, and a lovely digital 180 degree screen....great idea, and great workmanship - that alone deserved mentioning!!

artisanfx
03-06-2006, 10:00 AM
Congratulation to all people who worked in this film :)

JacquesD
03-06-2006, 10:54 AM
Definitely well deserved... the best I've seen so far!!!

The ripper.

BRUTICUS
03-06-2006, 03:35 PM
I was pleased to see them show face for their mistake at last years awards and treat technical and short film nominess equal to Actors and Directors.

Last year was a freaking joke watching all the sound and technical nominees and other people who MAKE THE FILM HAPPEN herded and positioned on the stage like in a police lineup. Or seeing Chris Landreth have to accept and give his speach from his seat in the back row.

They must have caught a lot of crap for that mistake.

heney
03-06-2006, 03:47 PM
Congrats to Weta, great job. Honestly I was rooting for Narnia or WotW but that's ok.

I love that Crash won. I thought that it should've won, but was convinced that Brokeback was going to take it. That was a pleasent suprise.

As for 3-6 Mafia, nothing will ever top that. They just sang "It's hard out here for a pimp" come over and accept their award by saying "Thank you Jesus!" Absolutly hilarious. It's a stand up comedians dream. With nominations and winners like that the Oscars are doomed to become the next Grammy's. Meaningless pop culture popularity contests. Best Picture of 2006 - Scary Movie 4, that's my prediction.

zzacmann
03-06-2006, 04:36 PM
I would have liked to have seen them give an "im memoriam" shout out to Darren McGavin and Don Knotts. Maybe next year.

I keep forgetting that this is actually a "congrats King Kong" thread and not an Oscar gripe thread.

Congratulations to Everybody who worked on the Kong effects. Well Deserved.

Its funny that the only scene in the film in which I thought looked a little sketchy was when Kong was sliding around on the icey streets in Time Square. It just didnt look right IMO. And, of course, out of all the fantastic work in the film, THATS the scene they show when King Kong won the Oscar. Weird...

poly-phobic
03-06-2006, 08:21 PM
maybe ABC should have had an edited version to air after hours for those who think rappers have class, and a classy version minus the rap preformance or maybe a possible disclaimer for the swearing and using street slang [moms/pops] to air at the regular time. or maybe next year simply omit anything rap entirely.
the ceremonies will have a lot more class then and hopefully redeem their credibility yea? and hats are not allowed at the event... unless its formal
lets all conform :)

:rolleyes:as if its the first time they gave an oscar to crappy music...

----
kuddos to the Kong team. hard work pays off.

rblitz7
03-06-2006, 09:41 PM
Anybody see the in memorium of Joe Ranft? Sad...:sad:

jeremybirn
03-08-2006, 04:03 AM
"According to Nielsen Media Research, the Academy Awards on ABC received an estimated 27.1 rating with 38.8 million viewers -- down 8 percent from 2005, when "Million Dollar Baby" and "Sideways" were the top contenders. In recent history, the only Oscars telecast that fared worse was in 2003, when approximately 33 million viewers watched "Chicago" win best picture."
- http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/03/07/DDGHMHJH3L1.DTL

Now, if most of the people who watch the Oscars are in the US, and in the US it was fewer than 40 million people watching, does that make the repeated claim of "a billion people watching" seem like a teeny bit of an exaggeration to anyone?

-jeremy

Womball
03-08-2006, 08:44 AM
Forgive me...But she's scary to me...She's still singing! AHHH!

Wait! She just stopped singing! WOOOHOOO!

She seemed a lot skinnier than before. I actually watched the whole show this time. I'm kind of surprized Brokeback Mountain didn't win. Ang Lee won best director, seems strange that the Best director didn't win Best Picture.

CGTalk Moderation
03-08-2006, 08:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.