PDA

View Full Version : Still Life: Ladybug

Max4U
12-15-2002, 09:58 AM
This is my most recent work after 6 months of knocking my brains out learning CG as a hobby. Your comments are most welcome.

Done using MAX 5, Shag Hair and PS 7.

LordShaitan
12-15-2002, 10:08 AM
Looks like the shadows arent comming straight from the bugs legs, try setting the Bias setting to .1 or 0.

Your fill lights are also putting a highlight on the bug, unless this is somewhere else then outside, there should be only one highlight (Well one direction) And that should be a little bit more yellow then white.

I think more definition to the leaf would eb nice, looks like a plane rather then a real 3d object.

Since the backgroun is fuzzy, i think you should throw some Depth of feild into the render of the bug as well, just to give it more depth.

Looks good though, keep it up, damn 6 months? Great stuff for 6 months!!!

stephen2002
12-15-2002, 12:37 PM
looks like a great start. The leaf/blade of grass needs some help, maby since we are viewing it so close, those ribbs in your texture should actually be modeled into the leaf. Or at least apply bump mapping.

coCoKNIght
12-15-2002, 01:04 PM
The bug looks really good! :thumbsup:
My crits would only be what LordShaitan already pointed out.
Keep going!

qu2k
12-15-2002, 01:56 PM
where is shag hair used?

Mickey
12-15-2002, 02:21 PM
Awesome work on the bug man!

I agree with other people that you need to add the same care to the leaf as to the bug. Some have already mentioned using bump/specularity maps for some more detail. I'd also add some other stuff to make it more realistic on the grass (dirt, dew, small tears along the edges, etc...) I'd also bend the blade of grass. Not long ways, you've already done that, i mean the other direction...(can't think of a good way to explain it) Either bend it to the outside or inside like a U Just a little, because in real life blades of grass and leaves and such aren't perfectly flat.

But great work nonetheless

qu2k: to me it looks like he used shag for the tiny hairs on the bug, I can see them best on the border of the leg on the far left. but then again, i didn't make this image so i could be wrong about that...

Keep it up! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

GregHess
12-15-2002, 06:10 PM
Quite anatomy note:

Insects can't walk on their tiptoes. The bottom segments of the foot are flat on the ground. (The tarsi). This is what the insects use to grasp onto whatever object their walking over. In the current render the ladybug is in a physically impossible position :).

I'll try and find a photo for you to use as reference.

And as to how I know this...I work for the Department of Entomology.

JBruckner
12-15-2002, 07:09 PM
I love the brilliant colors and the modeling, the only thing that bothers me is the fact that the leave isnt thick enough.

RockinAkin
12-15-2002, 08:53 PM
The bug looks great... dont change a thing with him.
The background and the leaf could use a day or two's more work to bring up to the quality of the bug.
The lighting could be improved a bit too.

But it's a very good start, just a little more work can make it perfect.
-DivideByZero-

guilegui
12-15-2002, 08:54 PM
sweet bug!!!

:)

:thumbsup:

danbran
12-15-2002, 09:47 PM
I don't know jack about textures, lighting or rendering,....but that is one cool bug!

db

blok
12-15-2002, 10:41 PM
The bug looks great, i myself am planning to model a little bug.

Maybe you could use the plugin solidify to give the leaf some more thickness.
I think the background is to blurry and the colors in the back have to much the same colors as on the bug, which causes a lack of contrast between the bug and the background.
Hope this was helpfull

Max4U
12-16-2002, 08:36 AM
Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions! It will really help me improve my skills for future projects.

Remi
12-16-2002, 07:05 PM
make the colors a little less vibrant....try turning down the diffusion for the objects...it'll look a little more real that way....in real life nothing has 100% diffusion...good image though...:thumbsup:

Flog
12-16-2002, 09:59 PM
Really great 3d peice, love it, the color is vibrant and very very great!!!

If you want to make it more realistic, not so bright. I think alot of 3d that is going for realism has that problem, just look at Star Wars' recent releases. To perfect in an imperfect world. Very great work. You have definately mastered the 3d, and nice subject matter. I think bugs are the coolest thing on the planet. Please do not model any cars though. I had car models, bleh, hehehehe!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :applause: :applause:

levin
01-30-2003, 07:26 PM
great work man!!! galeng!!!

sali ka na sa 3dpinoy!

everything i would crit is stated above...
(dew and specular )

hey check out that winner of the bug contest at contest.3dluvr.com (if you haven't)
might give you some ideas

Fitharn
01-30-2003, 07:29 PM
Awesome bug! :applause: Could you tell me (n00b here? :D) for which part you used the Shag Hair? Thanks and keep up the great work!

cermit
01-30-2003, 07:56 PM
looks ok ;)

HapZungLam
01-30-2003, 08:46 PM
away from realism, it is a very very good shot. A good art. I like the color composition. I just love it.

You got some pretty good textures and model. I guess you need to spend more work on is the light. Try to get different colors of lights.

You are on the right track, most of the time that "look real is not equal to look nice";)

DIMO
01-30-2003, 09:37 PM
Great start!

Welcome here, take a seat. Make more cool pictures. Show them to us:thumbsup:

Bliz
01-31-2003, 12:00 AM
I like the bug, it's pretty much all there.

The leaf and background I'd make a WHOLE lot darker. It looks like you are trying to get that 'macro' photography look in the bug but the leaf should be a lot darker.

coolmanmatt
01-31-2003, 12:24 AM
Great attention to detail, leaf looks a bit too flat though.

Ocean Size
01-31-2003, 12:38 AM
Sweet dude.

Is the second leg back on the Lady Bug's left side supossed to be floating? Just wondering if everyone missed this or it is intentional, the pose is a little off as far as looking like the Lady Bug is really planted on the leaf.

:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.