PDA

View Full Version : Car: NSX

culmination
12-15-2002, 07:26 AM
This is my model of a 2003 honda/acura NSX-T.

http://www.geocities.com/davidmershon/nsx/nsx1.txt

http://www.geocities.com/davidmershon/nsx/nsx2.txt

http://www.geocities.com/davidmershon/nsx/nsx3.txt

peace.

gfx
12-15-2002, 08:07 AM
whoa what happened to your lighting / shadowing???
especially in the last pic you can really see that not all of the car is casting shadows so you get those shadow holes. You shouldn't really be able to see so much under the car (exhaust area). also what's with the lower part of the wheels being darker??

looks pretty nicely modelled though

sixtyten
12-15-2002, 08:08 AM
Cars are boring. everyone does cars. Why don't you spend you're time on something more interesting?

mohammed mayas
12-15-2002, 09:13 AM
It's very good work

just chack the back lights

stephen2002
12-15-2002, 12:41 PM
Cars are boring. everyone does cars. Why don't you spend you're time on something more interesting?

Yeessshhhh. Because cars are a great learning tool (lots of curves, edges, and a material that is hard to get down right) and they look pretty neat in the end.

Well, about the car. The shadowing really needs help. Also, the materials could use work. The model itself looks good.

sumpm1
12-15-2002, 02:14 PM
@sixtyten:

While this forums and all forums are freely open to any opinion, the purpose of the critique section is to help others, not to tell them what to do, or tell them that what they do sucks.

You obviously knew that this thread was about a car model, and of you don't like car models, passing this thread by would seem logical to me. But telling the user that the subject sucks, in no way helps them make their work better.

This is not the place for these type of comments, and I would hope that others reading my work would grant me the same courtesy of trying to help, rather than make generally stupid comments that don't even address the work at hand(I bet you have a bumper sticker that says MEAN PEOPLE SUCK).

@ culmination

The model looks good,like everyone said, the shadows need work. And I'm not sure but it seems like maybe the edge between the tail lights and the bumper should not be so sharp. By the way, what is the model for?

sixtyten
12-16-2002, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by sumpm1
@sixtyten:

While this forums and all forums are freely open to any opinion, the purpose of the critique section is to help others, not to tell them what to do, or tell them that what they do sucks.

You obviously knew that this thread was about a car model, and of you don't like car models, passing this thread by would seem logical to me. But telling the user that the subject sucks, in no way helps them make their work better.

This is not the place for these type of comments, and I would hope that others reading my work would grant me the same courtesy of trying to help, rather than make generally stupid comments that don't even address the work at hand(I bet you have a bumper sticker that says MEAN PEOPLE SUCK).

I'm sorry that I have offended you and anyone else that like to model cars. I was merely asking a question. I am genuinely interested in why someone choses to put hours and hours of time and effort into making:

a) something that already exists, and
b) the same thing that everyone else does.

The way that I see is that 3D in general has the power to create works that go beyond reality, not to merely emulate it. Too many people just seem to want to produce works that give people cheap entertainment for a brief period of time, only to be forgotten when the next peice of cheap entertainment comes along. When I sit down to work, I want to create a peice that will make people actually think - about themselves and about why I created the work, I try to get an ideas across. Not just how many polygons I used or what shaders I downloaded from highend3d.com.

I am certainly not implying that I acheive this with each peice I create, but it is certainly my goal.

I suppose what i am trying to ask, is why do you try so hard to be the same? Why do you try to copy rather than invent?

This is an open question to anyone on the board, and is not designed as a flame, but hopefully to incite genuine discussion - something that is sorely missing from not just this board but from the 3D community in general.

DaliFan
12-16-2002, 02:05 AM
I can think of many reasons someone would choose to create something like a car, plane, person, or real world things.

1: There is a market for realism. Movies or whatever and I would imagine you would have to be able to produce images that a normal joe would not think it is CG.

2: As someone said.. plenty of tools are used in the modeling of the car. I modeled a telescope because it allowed me to learn basic primatives in detail. A lot of bevel etc.. may not look to exciting to someone else but I did learn at least twice as much as I had known when I started.

3: Some people LOVE cars. Almost a fetish for some. If they want to create a passion they might have.. why not?

4: It is like drawing from a picture when you learn to sketch. It teaches you from a real world model that you can compare and find faults in his/her work at the end.

I would imagine not everyone has the time, will or experience to create unique pictures.

Adding all that up.. the question should be "why not"?

Joel Hooks
12-16-2002, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by sixtyten
The way that I see is that 3D in general has the power to create works that go beyond reality, not to merely emulate it.

That Car just needs some work on the lighting, and I think it'll be fabulous.

As for the troll, I believe you should do some more research into 3d, because in fact a vast majority of the PAYING WORK available out there involves recreating actual events, pre-vis work, and various other forms of technical modeling. I know you are just wasting your (and everybody elses) time with you trolls, but I still felt the need to point this out. We all eagerly await your post that demonstrates your obvious superiority in both the creative AND technical aspects of 3d Design.

culmination
12-16-2002, 02:51 AM
damn finals are getting to me. to fill everyone in, this is for my maya hard surface modeling class. I had to create a car using nurbs patch modeling tools, and without any trim surfaces. I've been spending all day trying to sort out that shadow situation, very wierd. Thanks for the comments on the lighting and materials though, i've switched to a simulated GI system thats looking a lot better. I have to render out a turntable of this by the end of tomorrow so wish me luck.

Oh and by the way, I model cars because they're not only challenging, but people know if you've done good work or not because they see these complex and beautiful objects on a daily basis. I also just have love of the automobile and the act of driving. If you do not share that love, thats cool, just don't be up in my grill about it.

jasonjart
12-17-2002, 04:27 AM
No one can make a great work beyond the reality without knowing reality.
Basic skills are required to make a great work.

Originally posted by sixtyten
I'm sorry that I have offended you and anyone else that like to model cars. I was merely asking a question. I am genuinely interested in why someone choses to put hours and hours of time and effort into making:

a) something that already exists, and
b) the same thing that everyone else does.

The way that I see is that 3D in general has the power to create works that go beyond reality, not to merely emulate it. Too many people just seem to want to produce works that give people cheap entertainment for a brief period of time, only to be forgotten when the next peice of cheap entertainment comes along. When I sit down to work, I want to create a peice that will make people actually think - about themselves and about why I created the work, I try to get an ideas across. Not just how many polygons I used or what shaders I downloaded from highend3d.com.

I am certainly not implying that I acheive this with each peice I create, but it is certainly my goal.

I suppose what i am trying to ask, is why do you try so hard to be the same? Why do you try to copy rather than invent?

This is an open question to anyone on the board, and is not designed as a flame, but hopefully to incite genuine discussion - something that is sorely missing from not just this board but from the 3D community in general.

SheepFactory
12-17-2002, 04:34 AM
hey culmination , are you by any chance going to academy of art in san francisco and taking the hard surface modelling class wednesdays at 7 pm?

yaz786vip
12-18-2002, 12:46 AM
How can yo do such great work and not show us the wire frame!

sixtyten
12-18-2002, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by lowdown
That Car just needs some work on the lighting, and I think it'll be fabulous.

As for the troll, I believe you should do some more research into 3d, because in fact a vast majority of the PAYING WORK available out there involves recreating actual events, pre-vis work, and various other forms of technical modeling. I know you are just wasting your (and everybody elses) time with you trolls, but I still felt the need to point this out. We all eagerly await your post that demonstrates your obvious superiority in both the creative AND technical aspects of 3d Design.

I think most of you seemed to have misread my question. Of course I am aware of demand for this sort of thing in the commercial domain. And I realise that this is what you all want to do for the rest of your lives. But what I was actually trying to find out was why you want to do this. Why is working as part of the production line at a big studio your goal?

This is a genuine question.

The person who made the car did answer my question fairly well. He made this car because he loves cars, and this extends his passion for all things automotive. However, my real interest is weather he is content making cars for the rest of his life, perfecting his craft with each model he makes. Is his aim to be the best car modeler the world has ever seen? Regardless, i don't feel that your passion comes through in this image.

And I never claimed my skills were superior to anyone elses. My posts are not designed to be Ego chalengeing. I will freely admit that this car is far better than any car I could make, given my current skill level and complete lack of knowlege and interest in cars. As I said, I never meant to offend anyone. I apologise for trying to get you to question why you do what you do, by encouraging conceptual critique. Its what I have been trained to do.

All I can do is encourage you to remember that its is fine to use this sort of one dimensional subject matter as a learning tool, please aim for something more from that.

I won't reply anymore to this thread because it's getting to off topic.

sumpm1
12-18-2002, 08:35 AM
I feel that recreating real life objects is necessary to learn the tools that you are using. Stevie Ray sat down and played Jimi Hendrix songs all day long. I would not ask him why he liked Jimi Hendrix, or does he think that he is going to be the greatest Jimi Hendrix cover artist in the world.

He used real life songs, and already applied techniques to learn the tool that he used, the guitar. When he was ready, he was free to use the tool to it's fullest, to express through his art in completion. He could visualize something in his head and do it almost immediately on the guitar. Covering real life music helped him and others express in their own way more fully, no matter where their passions layed.

I see where sixtyten is going, having the view that he always sees the same stuff in this forum(heads, cars and bodies, very plain) I agree. The thing that you must realize is that we are usally dealing with very new artists that came to a forum to try to learn and share. I am a hobbyist, I like to draw, for fun. Even if my work was not the greatest in the world, I still enjoy it. It is not my complete goal, I will probably never try art as a career. But for those who do, once they learn all they need to here and go to do great work, you probably won't find them browsing here.

I too would love to see more diversity in the work that I see here, but I realize that very few can be the best, and the best work was not created soley by one artist, there were teams. I see your point though.

culmination
12-18-2002, 11:42 PM
I'm kind of surprised that such a common subject matter created kind of a stir. Anyway to answer some of the questions, Yes I am in that class at the academy. No I probably won't spend the rest of my life modeling just cars although if anyone is hiring for the next Gran Turismo in about six months give me a call. To be honest this is only the second car I've done. Ok thats all I have to say for now. Here are some images using the new lighting rig and wireframe shots.

http://www.geocities.com/davidmershon/nsx/newshader/nsx_GI_1.txt

http://www.geocities.com/davidmershon/nsx/newshader/nsx_GI_2.txt

http://www.geocities.com/davidmershon/nsx/newshader/nsx_GI_3.txt

http://www.geocities.com/davidmershon/nsx/nsx_wframe_1.txt

http://www.geocities.com/davidmershon/nsx/nsx_wframe_2.txt

http://www.geocities.com/davidmershon/nsx/nsx_wframe_3.txt

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.