PDA

View Full Version : Zapplink OSX not starting PSD

AVTPro
03-05-2006, 12:20 PM
ZappLink on my Mac OSX not intializing Photoshop. Anyone have the same problem?

Please Advise. I keep get an err that says "Err trying to launch app". Thanks.

AVTPro
03-10-2006, 07:19 AM
I rarely rant, but this is disappointing. Zbrush on the Mac just seems like it's not supported well.

Zapplink and no reponse, even here is salt on the wound.

What's worst is no Zmapper on the Mac. Did they just chuck the idea completely?

:sad:

Lyr
03-10-2006, 07:39 AM
Did you install Rev2 of Zapplink for the Mac? I had to install Rev2 to get it to use photoshop. To be safe completely delete your ZappLink.Zsc and ZappLink data folders before you upgrade. You coul get a nasty bug that keeps projection master and/or ZappLink for working and be forced to re-install Zbrush.

You are right, Zbrush on the Mac isn't supported nearly as well, which is a shame because OSX has far superior memory management compared to XP.

Zmapper is not scrapped for that Mac, they just haven't gotten around to releasing it yet.

AVTPro
03-10-2006, 09:09 AM
Thanks for your help.

Well, I redownloaded it and installed it again int the Zstartup/Zplug folder and now I get no option to "set target app". Also the same fail to launch.

Bad to worst.

Zbrush is a great app as a stand alone, but the biggest frustation is getting it to work with anything else.

Thanks again.

zugok
03-20-2006, 01:14 AM
I recently installed Zapplink on my G5, and found I had several of the same problems you are having. I did not have the "set target app" option ether.

Although I am not 100% positive, your issue may be an OSX related issue.

First, make sure your Zbrush folder is named as "ZBrush2" not "ZBrush 2" (no spaces).
Second, you can install the plug-in in ether the ZPlug folder located in the ZStartup folder or in the ZData folder, but you probably should not do both.
Third, make sure your system recognises Photoshop as priority to open PSD files. You can do this by Control clicking on the file and select "open with/other" check on the "Always open with" button and then select Photoshop from the list.

Hopefully this helps.

I

Thanks for your help.

Well, I redownloaded it and installed it again int the Zstartup/Zplug folder and now I get no option to "set target app". Also the same fail to launch.

Bad to worst.

Zbrush is a great app as a stand alone, but the biggest frustation is getting it to work with anything else.

Thanks again.

AVTPro
03-20-2006, 09:50 AM
1aaaaaaack! Finally! Much appreciated. I went to change the name I noticed I didnt have the proper permissions to do it. I moved the Zbrush folder to the desktop, changed the name. It worked. Not sure how to set the Target Editor. There use to be a button in the plug.

It's strange they got rid of the "Set Target app" button. It's seemed so much simpler.

It's still seems to want to open in Preview app. What file do I change? TempZapplink.PSD?

-----Third, make sure your system recognises Photoshop as priority to open PSD files. You can do this by Control clicking on the file and select "open with/other" check on the "Always open with" button and then select Photoshop from the list.----

Thanks almost there.

aurick
03-20-2006, 11:54 PM
The "Questions and Troubleshooting for ZAppLink" thread at ZBrushCentral (appropriately enough, it's in the Questions and Troubleshooting forum) explains what to do in this case. If you have installed the second version of ZAppLink and aren't getting the Set Target App button it's because you still have a file in the ZAppLinkData folder that's telling ZBrush what program to use. If you delete that file, you'll get the button again.

Of course, if you don't have the button OR file, then you didn't install the most current version. There are two versions in the first post in the ZAppLink thread. You need the one from the second link.

AVTPro
03-21-2006, 01:25 PM
Aurick,

I also want to thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

Well, it's working...sort of. I trashed anything that said ZappLink, then I DL'd Rev2 and now I have "set target app" again. It now opens in Photoshop reliably. (whew) AWESOME

But...

after I edit and save in Photoshop, it doesn't reflect the changes in Zbrush.
I don't know why it wouldn't just update in Zbrush once I save it. All the tutorials
I have seen just saves and it's there in Zbrush.

I have frequented the Zbrush Central site, but I haven't registers. I will try to use it more often.

inch by inch by inch by inch...I sympathize with the inch worm

AVTPro
03-21-2006, 02:02 PM
IT'S WORKING!

[actually no haevy bug, but i often got to switch 2-3 times between zbrush and photoshop til zbrush updates the edited and saved psd file and shows me the "accept changes" button.

greetz gd]

All I had to do is hit return to editor and then "Accept Changes works".

What a load off. It was in the Trouble shooting area.

Now I have to get Displacement Exporter working with ElectricImage.

EI displacement values are different from Zbrush. One use 0-255 and one uses 128 or gray as in/out for displacements.

I had to use a PSD curve to make a negative and positive map.
Also EI doesn't do micro poly show I have a Catmull Clark SubDiv that was created by one of EI's plug-in developers. It should give me the resolution I need at render time.

When I figure this out, and get Zbrush working correctly with I will publish the correct results with the EI community.

It would be nice if I just have a DE code that I could paste to give me an 8bit grayscale pos/neg map that I can pop into EI.

CGTalk Moderation
03-21-2006, 02:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.