PDA

View Full Version : [help] bone and muscle rigging

whitemage7
03-05-2006, 04:42 AM
Hi all,
Is there anyone here know how to do the bone and muscle rigging in maya? I want to make a great skin deformation, but it's really time and brain consuming with the joint. any help is highly appreciated. thanks :)

Nicool
03-05-2006, 09:22 AM
It's not easier and quicker to build up a muscle rig. Plus surface deformation is quite heavy (if you don't create a lower rig for animation). Note that muscles are extra stuffs on a rig, you still need to create a structure easy to use for the animator (few handler, stability, limitations,...)

You can find on learning-maya.com 2-3 tutorial to fake muscle rig with a clusters/lattices/driven keys combo.

whitemage7
03-06-2006, 04:11 AM
Yeah, I know it's harder to build a muscle rig, but the result really worth it, right? Besides, it's better to make another lower res model for animation purpose. I'm still a student and willing to explore more about this kinda rig. Do you know any great tutorial for this rig? what about bone rigging?

dunkelzahn
03-06-2006, 09:37 AM
Bone rigging is easier. Just do a smooth skinning and flood each bone so it stays rigid to a single joint. Muscles should be modeled on a object by object base, rigged and tested. Realistic muscle deformation is hard as hell, and a good amount of attention should be dedicated to the human anatomy! :)

I prefer using lattices and clusters for deformation and linking the rotation of a joint to the deformers anmation by driven keys when a lowres-model is not present (which I think is the best solution as well, as it gives you the most control).

Cheers

Chris

stewartjones
03-07-2006, 11:37 AM
From what I can tell you haven't rigged a lot of stuff yeah?

If that's the case, forget about muscle systems for the moment. Get the basics down first, you will benefit more from learning the basics than from anything else.

M.E.L.
03-07-2006, 06:58 PM
Nail down your basics of character rigging first before stepping anywhere near muscle rigging and deformations. Also make sure that you study your anatomy inside and out right to the very fibres :)

With that said, bone rigging for muscles isn't as "easy" as people make it out to be. Anyone can place joints and call it a muscle but trying to work muscles into say a game engine to make them look entirely believable using just joints is more work than most would think :) I've worked with a number of different muscle "systems" and methods, all have their pros and cons but every one of them requires a consistently strong knowledge of rigging and anatomy irregardless.

At a student level, I would suggest against doing any muscle related work and focus on solid skin deformations on your characters at a base level. Make clean rigs and create solid deformations, save the muscle stuff for when you get into production and are taught the real ways and have a better knowledge of things. Muscle stuff is cool, but it's about the last thing I want to see on a reel these days :)

-s

CGTalk Moderation
03-07-2006, 06:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.