PDA

View Full Version : Network attached storage / file loading isssues

Droolz
03-04-2006, 10:45 PM
Hi All,

I recently purchased a Buffalo gigabit linkkstation to act as a file server - everything was running just cool until I started After Effects.

Exisiting projects all work fine it's only when I try to load any new footage off the linkstation it becomes soooo slow it's unusable. The same problem occours on trying to reload or replace.

Obviously this is probably something I need to take up with buffalo technical support but Ii was wondering if anyone had any gems - any settigns I can tweak anywhere to imporve this?

All the best,

Jules

beaker
03-05-2006, 03:04 AM
Are you connecting directly to it or are you going through a router or a hub and if so, is it also gigabit?

Droolz
03-05-2006, 08:33 AM
Hey Beaker,

It's connected through a gigabit switch. All the connections (except for a wireless laptop) are gigabit cards.
For example the previous 'fileserver' was a machines running xp pro, which worked no problem with After Effects running non-local footage....

beaker
03-05-2006, 09:29 AM
NAS tend to not really be tuned for working on multimedia/video stuff over the network but more as a backup solution for general office work. I looked around and it seems that Buffalo NAS especially are known for being slow. Though just about every other NAS I have used out there isn't exactly a speed demon either.

Droolz
03-05-2006, 12:30 PM
Arse. That makes it a bit of a pain... Thanks for the info though - what generally is a 'recommended' storage? - I'm running a ad hoc workgroup - there's no server software anywhere, I liked the idea of a NAS from a noise / power saving point of view - looks like I'd be better going back to a pc..
Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

jules

Mylenium
03-05-2006, 01:18 PM
Arse. That makes it a bit of a pain... Thanks for the info though - what generally is a 'recommended' storage? - I'm running a ad hoc workgroup - there's no server software anywhere, I liked the idea of a NAS from a noise / power saving point of view - looks like I'd be better going back to a pc..
Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

jules

I think the problem is generally the caching NAS uses for safety reasons. With many I/O operations it get's terribly slow. I think a much better solution would be a cheap Firewire-RAID attached to your computer. Most of them use only average 7200 RPM disks with low power consumption and transfer rates will be much better.

Mylenium

2a03
03-05-2006, 02:13 PM
I do tons of After Effects and C4d work and I just recently set up a "file server"... it doesnt run any server software but it gets the job done... I got an old 1.4ghz P4 tower someone gave me and stuck an SATA card, 4 300gb Seagate drives and a gigabit card in it... Then I just mapped the network drives from my main workstation and all of my PC render nodes and Mac's can access it just fine... I'm pushing large image sequences through it and I havent had any speed issues... Its a pretty cheap and easy solution...

beaker
03-05-2006, 02:30 PM
I think the problem is generally the caching NAS uses for safety reasons. With many I/O operations it get's terribly slow. I think a much better solution would be a cheap Firewire-RAID attached to your computer. Most of them use only average 7200 RPM disks with low power consumption and transfer rates will be much better.

MyleniumActually I wouldn't even bother with Firewire Raid but instead Sata Raid since it is cheaper and faster. Then your dealing with the direct connection to the drive instead of firewire dealing with a bridge to ata/sata.

beenyweenies
03-06-2006, 12:58 AM
Hi All,

I recently purchased a Buffalo gigabit linkkstation to act as a file server - everything was running just cool until I started After Effects.

Exisiting projects all work fine it's only when I try to load any new footage off the linkstation it becomes soooo slow it's unusable. The same problem occours on trying to reload or replace.

Obviously this is probably something I need to take up with buffalo technical support but Ii was wondering if anyone had any gems - any settigns I can tweak anywhere to imporve this?

All the best,

Jules

Yeah, as others have said the Buffalo shoulda been named Buffaslow. Their machines (while attractively priced) are known to be creepy slow, and the gigabit connection aside I think the issue is in their NAS software or something. Bummer too, because they look cool and are very affordable.

I just finished setting up a new network with Macs/PCs using a good gigabit switch that supports Jumbo Frames and cat6 cabling. One of the machines in this network is our dedicated render box/media library, and all transfers seem very fast (a 1GB file transfers in about 35 seconds). I can edit in FCP using files located on the renderbox or other machines without slowdowns, so there's value in building it yourself if done right.

beaker
03-06-2006, 01:21 AM
Yea, you can build your own linux fileserver with these little XPC's that hold 4 drives in them for less then the price of all the current line of cheap NAS's that have been coming out recently. The nice thing is it will run much faster too and it is easy to expand them with a pci external 4-8 port sata raid card.

CGTalk Moderation
03-06-2006, 01:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.