PDA

View Full Version : Image Buffer Issue. Image to large...

payton
03-04-2006, 06:19 PM
hi,
im trying hard to zoom into a picture that is appr. 16500*9000 (8 bit) px sized. itīs so big, because at the end of the zoom i still need 2k resolution for printing out to film. but im not able to do it. no chance with ae 7 (cant import it) and not much better with ae 6.5. in 6.5 i can import the stuff but when im trying to display it in my 2k comp at full res or to render, it fails with following error:

"After Effects error: could not create 16500 X 9000 image buffer. 7: : 5"

i had a similar problem last week with a picture sized appr. 6500 * 3500 (16 bit). the only machine that were able to export the comp was our new dual mac dual core machine with 4 GB RAM.

does anyone know how to fix that or knows a software package that is able to do this task?

thanks in advance,
payton

btw: i wonīt answer the whole next week because of my holiday but will be happy if there are some answers when im back. thx

Mylenium
03-04-2006, 08:08 PM
hi,
im trying hard to zoom into a picture that is appr. 16500*9000 (8 bit) px sized. itīs so big, because at the end of the zoom i still need 2k resolution for printing out to film. but im not able to do it. no chance with ae 7 (cant import it) and not much better with ae 6.5. in 6.5 i can import the stuff but when im trying to display it in my 2k comp at full res or to render, it fails with following error:

"After Effects error: could not create 16500 X 9000 image buffer. 7: : 5"

i had a similar problem last week with a picture sized appr. 6500 * 3500 (16 bit). the only machine that were able to export the comp was our new dual mac dual core machine with 4 GB RAM.

does anyone know how to fix that or knows a software package that is able to do this task?

thanks in advance,
payton

btw: i wonīt answer the whole next week because of my holiday but will be happy if there are some answers when im back. thx

What your trying is very unlikely to yield any success in AE, as much as it pains me to say that. The only workaround you could use is to split up your image and then re-assemble them to the bigger image using parenting or expressions in AE. This way the smaller "tiles" that are not currently visible in the comp window will be ignored by AE and not consume power to render them. With luck you might even be able to render with all tiles visible - AE will render each buffer for the tile separately and then combine them before showing them scaled down in your 2k comp. If that doesn't work, you definitely have to use Fusion or Nuke, both of which have a completely tile based render pipeline (plus dynamic proxy creation) that qualifies them for this type of job.

Mylenium

igorstshirts
03-04-2006, 08:20 PM
That is pretty big...

I'm pretty sure Lightwve 8.5 could do this... You could map the 16,500 by 9,000 onto a polygon in Layout... Zoom the cam in and out all you want.

payton
03-04-2006, 09:28 PM
thx for the fast, but a bit unsatisfying (not your fault) answers.

@mylenium
because this project is a cartoon thing, itīs not a single image.....itīs a sequence :(. so tiling it by myself will be pretty time consuming. maybe we get the chance to use nuke or fusion in a friendly company/studio. should i prefer nuke or fusion to do the job? would be great to know it before trying, so i dont need to bother to many people where it maybe wonīt work too.

thx so far!
payton

Vympel
03-04-2006, 10:33 PM
Softwares like Shake and Toxik is better for this task, but all the softwares will process all the image in the beginning of animation (all the image is visible), but in some softwares you can use ROI/DOD ( The AE have this feature) features to render only a portion of image. You tried others workflow like isolate elements of image and animate the zoom of each one of these elements (foreground, background...)

beenyweenies
03-05-2006, 07:26 AM
thx for the fast, but a bit unsatisfying (not your fault) answers.

@mylenium
because this project is a cartoon thing, itīs not a single image.....itīs a sequence :(. so tiling it by myself will be pretty time consuming. maybe we get the chance to use nuke or fusion in a friendly company/studio. should i prefer nuke or fusion to do the job? would be great to know it before trying, so i dont need to bother to many people where it maybe wonīt work too.

thx so far!
payton

The problem is that AE won't import images over a certain size. On a film I worked on, we needed to do the same thing you are looking for - We simply sliced the image into smaller pieces and reassembled in AE. This should work for you, but you will need a LOT of RAM either way!

good luck

Mylenium
03-05-2006, 12:14 PM
should i prefer nuke or fusion to do the job?

Both should do the trick. I've tested them both only for a short while at friendly companies/ demos, though. I think the advantage of Nuke is that you could do such things on a 5 year old computer whereas Fusion is much more resource consumiong from the start and won't run on any system.

Mylenium

beenyweenies
03-06-2006, 12:00 AM
Both should do the trick. I've tested them both only for a short while at friendly companies/ demos, though. I think the advantage of Nuke is that you could do such things on a 5 year old computer whereas Fusion is much more resource consumiong from the start and won't run on any system.

Mylenium

Oops! Sorry Mylenium, I didn't see your post above where you laid out the exact solution I suggested.

payton
03-14-2006, 06:54 PM
back from holiday.

thx for the answers. maybe i will reanimate this thread when everything fales...

payton

Khalor
03-15-2006, 03:46 AM
maybe i will reanimate this thread when everything fales...

Make that 'if everything else fails'. No harm in thinking positively... :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
03-15-2006, 03:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.