PDA

View Full Version : John Riggs Messiah Videos? Or any others?

MarkInTx
03-03-2006, 10:18 PM
OK, so I've been looking around at the available tuts for Messiah. Looks like once upon a time, the main source for training videos was John Riggs. (Now it seems to be Joe Cosman).

Seems odd that one guy should so easily corner the market... Is there just no market for 3rd party Tutorials?

Anyway, John's look interesting, but the website listing them, http://www.characterfx.com/ seems in-active. I mean, their last "News" item was four years ago, and they seem to indicate that the videos are available on VHS tape, but not DVDs. (Wow, the world really HAS changed in 4 years, hasn't it?) I eamiled them and haven't heard back yet. (I guess I will get the answer snail mail...hehehe)

I tried to email John directly, but the address on his website bounced back to me when I tried it.

So... is the situation that I can have any training video I want as long as it's Joe Cosman's? (Not that I have a problem with Joe's videos, I'm just trying to see if I have a choice...)

Anyone have any video list? (With reviews would be really cool). Or information on John Rigg's whereabouts?

Thanks!

Parsec3d
03-04-2006, 04:46 AM
well as far as I know all those videos are way outdated,, few months ago Riggs site had a video of his catwoman rig and there was a rumor about a new tutorial dvd with that,, but,, he must be too busy or changed his mind about sharing his new tricks and hey he is in all his right to keep them for him... then again he might never had the intention to make a new video tutorials ,, who knows, lets just hope he does.. for now you just can't go wrong with Cosman ones and at that price well...

Gitch
03-04-2006, 02:11 PM
I have to second that with Joe cosmans CD's they are really great to learn from and besides that he is a great guy, if you have any problems with the tutorial he replys back to you. he will even answer your questions in this forum so you can't go wrong. The price is great as well.

Andreseloy
03-05-2006, 01:43 AM
I have to second that with Joe cosmans CD's they are really great to learn from and besides that he is a great guy, if you have any problems with the tutorial he replys back to you. he will even answer your questions in this forum so you can't go wrong. The price is great as well.
I go with you, i have the minitutorials I and II and allowed to learn more easy...thedvd are very very practical and useful.
Thanks to Joe Cosman
Andreseloy

WoodyLWG
03-05-2006, 05:58 AM
Here's another vote for Joe's tutorials.
I got the rigging vids and after going through them over a weekend,
felt that I could pretty much rig anything, including faces!

Great job Joe, keep up the good work! :)

MarkInTx
03-08-2006, 04:44 AM
Well, the unanimous votes got me... I ordered Joe's Rigging Videos...

I'm guessing that there is nothing else current, then?

Has anyone seen Jeff Lew's "Learning 3D Character Animation?"

It sounds great, but I was wondering how much of it is only applicable to Animation Master?

Anyone have opinions on that?

Grgeon
03-08-2006, 05:11 AM
I saw Jeff's dvd way back when it first came out. It's pretty good, especially for beginning animators. Same info you'd find in animation books out there, but in DVD form. Jeff also teaches in a casual manner that is easy to follow, and hard to get bored with.

hope this helps,

George

stooch
03-08-2006, 05:48 AM
is john riggs a real name? the riggs part is just too convenient lol.

catizone
03-08-2006, 12:06 PM
Yes....real name.

I purchased his rigging and character setup video when it first came out. Very good in all aspects!

I am hoping with the "new" messiah coming (hopefully) soon, that someone is doing a new set of tutorial dvds/

Best,
Rick

Wegg
03-08-2006, 06:56 PM
I just did one on eggprops that shows you how to use Soft Bodies to simulate cloth. . .

I plan on doing a bunch more but . . . want to wait and see where they are going with the program first.

Wireframes
03-08-2006, 08:32 PM
want to wait and see where they are going with the program first.

Hey Wegg

Hope you have not to wait too long ;)

T4D
03-10-2006, 02:07 AM
Joe Cosman cd's are great, :buttrock:
very well presented and show everything in the right order
( far FAR better then all the "godly" Lightwave ones I've seen )

got me going in Mesiah very fast, Thanks Joe " whatever your name is " :beer:

Jeff lew Animation cd are good for newbie- inter
no really advanced stuff but they are a great start for the newbie to show the generial workflow of CA :thumbsup:

MarkInTx
03-19-2006, 03:37 AM
Well, I took everyone's advice and ordered Joe's Tutorials, and am going through them now. (Took FOREVER to get here though! So far, I love Joe... hate CafePress...)

It has been really interesting to see how Joe Rigs things. Some very clever stuff there, that I would have never come up with in a million years of playing on my own, so VERY much worth the purchase price already...

I still would love to get John Rigg's videos, though, just to see someone else's approach as well (I know they are out of date, but it's always interesting to see alternate approaches...) Is it simply impossible to get these anymore?

Anyone interested in selling theirs?

PM me if so...

-MarkInTx

CGTalk Moderation
03-19-2006, 03:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.