PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy WIP: "Partners of a Feather"

Shiki
03-03-2006, 10:04 PM
This is a second environment work, but this time it involves characters in the image. I've already completed the foreground plants on one layer and now I am painting in the rocks in the background. You may notice the foreground layer is a little blurred, which is an effect needed to mimic the photo ref I'm using. Attached is the photo reference and what I've painted so far.

I've always liked the partnership between the handler and bird of prey in falconry, and wanted to paint something that captured that relationship. I couldn't find any closeups of a handler with his/her bird which would probably be better, so this will do for now.:)
The woman in the photo will be painted in a younger look and maybe wearing a cloak of some kind. The lighting in the sky and background will likely be a little darker, but as to what color shade I'll be using is still undecided.~Angela

Shiki
03-07-2006, 08:35 PM
About finished with the rocks layer, I only have a few grayish rocks in the bg to paint left. I've attached the image with both completeed layers, foreground layer overlaying the rock layer. Next, I'll be working on the surrounding greenery, and then should be on to the characters. Let me know how my progress looks so far!~Angela

Shiki
03-14-2006, 05:31 AM
Finished greenery and most of the BG. Did decide to not paint in some rocks that were too blurred in the photo ref to appear well. Still smoothing out the rocks in the foreground, then I'll get to the hawk and woman.

Shiki
03-21-2006, 04:24 PM
I did more editing of the BG again by taking out yet another rock or two that weren't appealing to the composition, then covered that up with more of the grassy looking greenery.
Finally, I began working on the womans face and hand, then smoothed that out to a softer texture with the smudge tool using a feathered brush.
Then I started the clothing, which turned out to have an almost dark-age look. Though, one could likely find something similar nowadays too. Using the same technique as described above, I smoothed that out as well.
I started with the hair, doing the front portion of it on one layer, and the one half one the other side of her head on another. Again, a similar technique was used to smooth out and create wisps at the ends of the hair.
I also decided to go for a monochrome look for this piece. I started by creating one layer, and filling it at 100% with a navy blue color. Then, I made sure its placement in the layer order was overlaying everything else. Lastly, I went into the blending options for the layer and selected 'color', which gave it the look I wanted.
The only thing left now is the hawk, and I should be finished~Angela :)

Shiki
04-01-2006, 12:11 AM
Have worked some more details out in the BG, but I will post that when the image is finished. For now, I'm concentrating detail work on the feathers of the hawk, so I've posted a close up.~Angela

CGTalk Moderation
04-01-2006, 12:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.