PDA

View Full Version : Still: A desk.

Piv0t
12-14-2002, 11:54 PM
Hey there,

I digressed from my demo-reel creation for some time, just wanted to make a nice atmospheric image and practice a bit in modelling.. so here it is, hope you like it:

http://vault.times.lv/images/dsc-cmp.jpg

leobarttz
12-15-2002, 12:06 AM
Very good image, but ive a few comments.
First, your scene is too clean, put a bit of dirty.
Second, the reflex of the can is too much perfect, try to put some
noise. Besides that your secene is very realistic. Good Job.

:applause: :applause:

eric-s
12-15-2002, 12:39 AM
very realistic
some shadow should be changed a bit to make those things attach to the desk.
the computer looks really good.

Commiekeebler
12-15-2002, 02:43 AM
A Russian monitor next to an English beer? :)
How did that happen?

Some Guy
12-15-2002, 07:19 AM
That Guinness can looks too shiny and the top should be gold colored if im not mistaken. Just my $.02

Antilles
12-15-2002, 08:07 AM
awesome job!

my only critique involves something that i constantly struggle with so i saw it easily, its the shadows, they are nice and soft, but are a little bit detached from the objects. Otherwise, really really good, texturing to me looks really good. We all have to know, what program did you use?

Piv0t
12-15-2002, 09:42 AM
Thanks for comments, guys.
Perhaps you're right about the shadow softness, I just wanted to make everything look soft and neat :) Will try to change it later.
I used Max5 for modelling and Vray for rendering.

stephen2002
12-15-2002, 12:39 PM
it looks really realistic, just the shadows, most things look like they are floating.

squidinc
12-15-2002, 01:48 PM
really nice image :thumbsup:, but most computers aren't pure white, more of a cream colour, good job with the modelling though :bounce:

Nub3
12-15-2002, 07:19 PM
good :cool:

McSpirit
12-15-2002, 08:30 PM
You might want to add a shadow map to give the pic. a fealing of the surronding room:shrug: and maby change the light from blue to a more warm color.

but beside that nice moddeled gotta luv it :bounce: :bounce:

percydaman
12-15-2002, 08:53 PM
did u use irradiance maps? if so, you might want to up your samples...low samples are a big reason why shadows dont appear to lock down an object...great render though..would like to know some settings

Dmitry
12-15-2002, 11:54 PM
super, mne nravitsya guinness

Antilles
12-16-2002, 12:58 AM
I use max 4, and unless things have changed radically in MAX 5, I think the problem is map bias (it should be closer to 0), not samples. When you raise the sample range, the area on the edge of the shadow that is blended or blurred is increased, in essence making the shadows softer...the shadows now are soft enough on the edges, and raising the sample range will blur them even more, not make them closer to the objects.

wgreenlee1
12-16-2002, 01:20 AM
I'd say excellent models and the glow is great!!!

percydaman
12-16-2002, 03:25 AM
I use max 4, and unless things have changed radically in MAX 5, I think the problem is map bias (it should be closer to 0), not samples. When you raise the sample range, the area on the edge of the shadow that is blended or blurred is increased, in essence making the shadows softer...the shadows now are soft enough on the edges, and raising the sample range will blur them even more, not make them closer to the objects.

well, if he used vray, then he might have used vrayshadows which are raytraced as opposed to mapped.

Piv0t
12-16-2002, 09:36 AM
Hey guys, I really appreciate your comments.

Actually, the shadow softness is explained by the low dynamic range of the HDRI I had used -- there are no other light sources in the scene. But actually I must say that I was happy with the result, that softness was supposed to be... Nevertheless, I'll try to make it harder, cause everyone tells me about it, will figure something out.

@Dmitry : Mne tozhe ;)

stickyblue
12-17-2002, 05:45 AM
i love the feeling but everything has same specular level , i think you should play with it little bit :) :thumbsup:

Antilles
12-17-2002, 09:41 AM
oh right the softness is good, but the detachemnt is what we are talking about. Anyway good job.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.