PDA

View Full Version : Polytrans, any good?

peteb
03-03-2006, 01:38 PM
I've got a guy that animates in Max but I want to model, texture and render in Lightwave as I haven't got a clue how to use Max. I've heard Polytrans is good is this true and if so is it easy to use. Basically I just need to be able to give the guy a textured model and have him animate it and then export it out so I can import it with the animation back into Lightwave.
I've looked at the demo of Polytrans but I don't think it supports Ligthwave in the demo.
Anyone used this a lot?

Pete B

essencedesign
03-03-2006, 07:31 PM
PT is great , we use it just about daily in our LW to Maya pipe. Very user friendly and easy to use. We use the pro version, I'm not sure about the cost, I think though it might be near a grand, so it is a bit of an investment.

peteb
03-03-2006, 09:56 PM
Ouch, that sounds expensive. I haven't seen anything about a pro version I wonder what the difference is? The retail normal version is $400 just for the importer exporter which is all I want really. I tried the demo and it seemed to work from the quick test I done so I'll invest further tonight and give him a mesh to play with. Worth the money I think seeing as there's so many people that use different packages now days.

Pete B

kevman3d
03-04-2006, 12:02 AM
You could also try exporting and importing FBX files - There's plugins for both Max and LightWave to do this. I've used it for Maya > LW but I've not tested it with Max.

Its a lot cheaper then polytrans too... :)

http://www.alias.com/glb/eng/products-services/product_details.jsp?productId=1900004

Note that you have to register as a user on the Alias community section (Bronze membership (free) seems to work)

lmancg
03-05-2006, 10:03 PM
We use PT all the time at work. It's great because it does what it does. We get a lot of models from Max, but we do all the other work in LW, and that's where PT comes in. Basically we just load the Max file in PT, then export it out as LW. We also use Right Hemisphere's Deep Exploration to convert models.

peteb
03-06-2006, 05:02 PM
I had a look at the fbx plugin before but couldn't seem to get it to work in Max. Might have to give it another go.

I'll check out Deep exploration too.

Cheers everyone.

Pete B

CGTalk Moderation
03-06-2006, 05:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.