PDA

View Full Version : From Flash to AE : Keeping colors

a3000
03-03-2006, 01:19 PM
Hi,
I'm having issue to keep the same specific color palette from Flash to After effects.
I tried to convert my Flash anims to a series of .AI files but the imported images are
not accurate, according to the original flash tone.
I need to keep my files in vector format, so a bitmap conversion cannot be part of the solution....
There is no color correction management available in Flash, or maybe I missing somehing ?

Thx,
A3000

mdurwin
03-03-2006, 04:59 PM
What are you taking from Flash to use in AE? Is it an animation? If so, just render it out as a Quicktime from Flash and import that into AE. Or export PNGs.
Why do you need to keep the files in vector format? You'd be better off, if you're trying to animate shapes, to draw them in AE using masks and solids. Both AE and Flash are RGB based, but while Flash has no real color management tools, AE has a ton. Have you tried adjusting the Hue and Saturation in AE?

Mylenium
03-03-2006, 05:23 PM
Hi,
I'm having issue to keep the same specific color palette from Flash to After effects.
I tried to convert my Flash anims to a series of .AI files but the imported images are
not accurate, according to the original flash tone.
I need to keep my files in vector format, so a bitmap conversion cannot be part of the solution....
There is no color correction management available in Flash, or maybe I missing somehing ?

Thx,
A3000

I concur with mdurwin. Try to render a QT movie or use color correction tools to achieve the desired look or rebuild your shapes from scratch in AE. It's impossible to match both apps perfectly. Flash uses a simple linear RGB mode whereas AE will use Adobe RGB or sRGB, both of which already have built in some compensation for "strange" color behaviors even if you don't use any specific color profile.

Mylenium

a3000
03-03-2006, 06:59 PM
To mdurwin:
What are you taking from Flash to use in AE? Is it an animation?
Yes, a whole anim file

If so, just render it out as a Quicktime from Flash and import that into AE. Or export PNGs.
Actually you just need to import the .swf into AE to get this result...

Why do you need to keep the files in vector format?
Well....good question but sometime... for some reasons...well you can't negociate....

You'd be better off, if you're trying to animate shapes, to draw them in AE using masks and solids.
The anim is already there

Both AE and Flash are RGB based, but while Flash has no real color management tools, AE has a ton. Have you tried adjusting the Hue and Saturation in AE?
Tweaking color was not part of my question ;)

To Mylenium
Try to render a QT movie or use color correction tools to achieve the desired look or rebuild your shapes from scratch in AE. It's impossible to match both apps perfectly. Flash uses a simple linear RGB mode whereas AE will use Adobe RGB or sRGB, both of which already have built in some compensation for "strange" color behaviors even if you don't use any specific color profile.

Thanks for help,
I already checked this video about accurate color with Flash and Photoshop
http://www.adobe.com/motiondesign/MDC_Tutorials.html?u%5FsLang=en&u%5FnTextSize=14&u%5FsFontType=sans

and I thought AE could achive the same result.
Anyway, I hope the Adobe team is working on that.

Thanks for your reply.

A3000

Mylenium
03-03-2006, 07:35 PM
To Mylenium
Try to render a QT movie or use color correction tools to achieve the desired look or rebuild your shapes from scratch in AE. It's impossible to match both apps perfectly. Flash uses a simple linear RGB mode whereas AE will use Adobe RGB or sRGB, both of which already have built in some compensation for "strange" color behaviors even if you don't use any specific color profile.

Thanks for help,
I already checked this video about accurate color with Flash and Photoshop
http://www.adobe.com/motiondesign/MDC_Tutorials.html?u%5FsLang=en&u%5FnTextSize=14&u%5FsFontType=sans

and I thought AE could achive the same result.
Anyway, I hope the Adobe team is working on that.

Thanks for your reply.

A3000

Yeah, I'm sure we'll see some more improvements in that area. I would think that in a future release they would add much more functionality to the color profiles and might even allow us to create our own LUTs/ profiles.

Mylenium

mdurwin
03-03-2006, 08:15 PM
Point 1
--Well, all you have to do then is to render the Flash animation as a QUicktime movie and import it into After Effects.

Point 2
--You can't import a SWF file into AE.

Point 3
"Well....good question but sometime... for some reasons...well you can't negociate...."
--Please explain.

Point 4
--If you need to do work in AE then you should draw your shapes in Illustrator or AE. If you have a complete animation in Flash then why not just export it as Quicktime. Unless you don't have the original FLA file to render from and you're trying to take a Flash file you don't have the authoring version of and import it. If that is the case, you may be out of luck unless you can import it into Flash and export to Quicktime.

Point 5
-- Didn't you say in your first post that the tone was different and you asked about color managment?

Point 6
-- This is not as much an Adobe issue as it is a Flash issue and your issue. Flash is meant to be used on the web where AE is meant for broadcast. They are not built to do the same thing or be compatible. That being said, you can take a Flash animation and use it in AE with no color, tone or whatever issues. I described how to do this 3 times above. There are a couple of pieces of Flash animation in my demo reel. They were originally designed to be used as Flash presentations but I simply re-exported them as Quicktime to dump them in my reel. They look great, clean, nice colors, the timing is fine, etc.

a3000
03-03-2006, 10:04 PM
Dear mdurwin,
I didn't want to start a fight with you,

Point 3
--Please explain
I'm going to give you the phone number of my pleasant art director....

By the way,
YES, you can import your .swf files directly in AE,
you just need to save your files in Flash 5 file compatible mode.

and YES I solved my color issue after some low-fat brain-activity and AE testing.
Exporting in a .EPS sequence will keep the original color palette....
That's it....yep, so simple.

Thanks for you time.

a3000

mdurwin
03-03-2006, 10:14 PM
a3000,
No, of course not. I'm just trying to be clear to help you out.

I was going to mention exporting as EPS since AI are sometimes funky.

I'm using a newer version of Flash and AE 6.5 Pro I tried to import the SWF and ony got "incompatible Quicktime format". I'm on a Mac though, perhaps it's a PC thing?

And for point number 3, I just didn't understand your incomplete sentence. Anyway, I'm glad you worked it out.
Good luck, sucks to have an art director eh? That's why I'm my own art director!

CGTalk Moderation
03-03-2006, 10:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.