PDA

View Full Version : Getting the most out of Ref Scenes

ljilekor
03-03-2006, 12:44 PM
I have a load of experience in Lightwave, Messiah, Max, ... but I'm kinda new to Maya.

One of the most interesting and workflow enhancing features, for me, is the use of Ref scenes.
Especially for creating low level animation rigs that drive complex hires setups.

I'm having some trouble creating ref scenes with shared edits. A few Q'zzz :

What's the most effective way to set them up?
The most effective way to link/replace/... proxy's with their animations (edits)
What should I keep in mind?
When everything is set up, are the edits updated in both ways?
(edits lores > hires AND edits hires > lores)
Can I route the references myself or are they setup up automaticaly? (ex. to link world/loc anim of JointX in one scene to world/loc coordinates LocaterY in the other)
Are there usefull MELs to facilitate the job ?
Thanx in advance.

Dichotomy
03-03-2006, 10:14 PM
the connection is one sided with reference setups. So any changes to the reference will change in the scene, but any changes in the scene won't affect the ref. Although, a lot of stuff gets locked so changing stuff in scene can't always be done.

I don't believe there is a way to make direct connections between scenes. I won't say it can't be done (because there are a lot of very smart programmers out there, but I dont believe maya has that built in)

as far as having a low res character in one scene and a high res in another, I think you are confusing what exactly a ref will do. you dont want to animate your reference file, only reference the file and then animate the reference in your scene (make sense?) The reference is used because you can then change the original (add controls, fix skin weights, change uv's, etc) and it will be changed in every file that is referencing it.

Be warned that using references has its dangers. We've had one scene crash, and go back and destroy every file it was referencing, and then go even further and destroy any that those were referencing, and then any other project using those files were screwed and completely lost. Just something to think about.

Kinematics
03-05-2006, 05:44 PM
that referencing thing sounds scary.... (runs off to back up all files)
My teams animators are all now working their animations on referenced files which we intend to reference those into another scene with reference sets etc. sure hope it all works :D....hmmm can u reference a reference?? :bounce: :bounce:

Dichotomy
03-05-2006, 10:26 PM
yep you can reference a reference... we have that with a mouth setup that we use. we have a tongue model, referenced into the mouth setup, which we referenced into a default scene setup, that they can reference into their own project scenes. But be warned, when we had our little maya crash, it killed every scene all the way back to the original tongue, and we had to find a way to quickly recreate every file.

ljilekor
03-07-2006, 03:41 PM
Thx for the info guys.

What about the jcAnimCS.mel from CG Toolkit?

Looks like a nice way to do it. ???

CGTalk Moderation
03-07-2006, 03:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.