PDA

View Full Version : Exporting Models from ZBrush2 too C4D

Reminiscence
03-03-2006, 01:15 PM
This is a post that I made in Zbrushcentral, and only got an answer pointing me in a direction that confused me more. Anyways I hope someone can help me in here...

Hey everyone. I'm a total newbie at 3d modelling, and am quite ambitious. My set-up atm is C4D and ZBrush2. I'm trying to export a model I've made in ZBrush. But to no avail. Maybe it's the lingo, I dunno, but I can't get it right to get Cinema 4d to read the .obj files I export, from the bottom of the Tool menu in Zbrush. I don't get an error, I just get nothing. Is there something I'm missing. Settings? Restrictions in the use of Zbrush with other 3d Apps? Also what are displacement maps? Does that have anything to do with my issue? Btw I've used the Zsphere to make the model, is that right?

Thanks in advance for your patience and help...

Regards
Reminiscence

eblondin
03-03-2006, 05:17 PM
So help me understand your question. When you try to export an .obj nothing happens? Does a dialogue box come up that asks you where you want to save it? And when you go to that location on your hd. its not there?

Or are you saying that when you export out your .obj c4d wonít open it?

There aren't really any settings in zbrush that would make c4d not read your .obj, most likely your import settings on c4d.

Displacement maps are grayscale images that are used to displace low rez geometry that is sub divided at render time to look like its high poly counter part. ie the high poly version of that model you made in zbrush. These have nothing to do with importing/exporting .obj's

Reminiscence
03-03-2006, 06:01 PM
Well I get a dialogue box and I do export it. And when I load the object in C4D, I get a couple of things in the object manager, but nothing shows in the main display. So what should the settings then be for both apps, to make importing and exporting work in both apps?

Also another thing. This has nothing to do with using the Zspheres?

Thanks so much so far, you have helped me quite a bit. At least by understanding my issue...

Regards
Reminiscence

eblondin
03-03-2006, 06:05 PM
Itís probably just scaled down really small. Try zooming in on the origin of your scene. Or do a marquee select on the origin and see if c4d selects anything.

I am not a c4d user, but in maya and max, there are options upon importing a .obj to create multiple meshes. You want to make sure that if you have that option that itís turned off.
Other than that I would just try messing around with the import options on c4d. You should be able to get it.

no you can export zpheres at anytime as an .obj thatís fine.

Reminiscence
03-03-2006, 06:08 PM
Thanks, lemme see what I can come up with...

I'll keep you all in touch...

Regards
Reminiscence

Reminiscence
03-03-2006, 06:50 PM
Increasing the scale seemed to have worked. Woah thanks!!! Anyways, how can I now make the object editable and even make it possible to animate? A setting in zbrush or C4d, and where in Zbrush if so...

Thanks so much for the help so far, you made my day...

Regards
Reminiscence

eblondin
03-03-2006, 06:53 PM
Yeah I was pretty sure it was just a scale issue, glad it worked.

umm. So are you new to c4d?

.obj is basically just geometry just like a sphere or a cube. Like i said before I am not a c4d user. but in maya and max you can just started editing, skinning, texturing, doing anything you want to that .obj just like you would any other piece of geometry there are no restrictions.

JackMcRip
03-04-2006, 03:32 PM
You ask me, how I make my models in ZBrush for C4D.
I will answer here:

- First I model with Spheres my simple basic model.
- Then I make "Adaptive Skin". Maybe you need "Unified Skin".
- I clear the document and draw the new objekt on it, the new one without spheres.
- now I export it to .obj with scale 100 and export flip Vertical, without Groups-Option

- in C4D I make Loops for mouth, eyes, ears and so on...
- in C4D I often delete the half of the model and make a symmetrical objekt, an change some things
- now I export it to .obj again
- in ZBrush I load the .obj file as tool
- draw it to the document and make it editable
- when you need exacty this LOWRES form for add displacement later, press MorphTarget->Store
- now you can divide the mesh how often you need
- Deform the mesh with the great tools of zbrush
- when you are finish you get the lower res, that you will export. use Geometrie->Lower Res
- now you can use the new Plugin: Displacement Exporter and Multi Displacement 2. You get it here: http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=29789
If your start this Plugin and select "create All" will generate the DisplacementMap and a NormalMap. Use what you want. At Options you can select the maps that will generate by the Plugin.
- export the mesh in this resolution !
- in C4D load the mesh and in the material apply the DisplacementMap, or NormalMap

Now it is, ok ?

Reminiscence
03-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Yeah definitely, thanks alot! So much more to learn, but you all sure put me in the right direction.

And yes, I'm very new to C4D, been using it now for 3 weeks on and off...

Regards
Reminiscence

JackMcRip
03-05-2006, 08:16 AM
Very new ?!
Then this is the next tip : http://www.skinprops.com/fr_c4d.htm
Use the Riptide-Obj Exporter !
Is a great Importer/Exporter the changes options is saved for next use.

Reminiscence
03-05-2006, 08:28 AM
Wow shot, downloading now and will check it out when I come back end of next week. Gonna visit some family and take some reading with me. Manuals, guides and what have you...

But thanks alot, will keep in touch with other issues, maybe even my first official animation/work of art, hehe...

Regards
Reminiscence

Reminiscence
03-08-2006, 09:47 PM
Just came back, checked the download and it's a .ez file. Does that link still work? Cause that's not what I'm supposed to get right? Should be a .zip file? What can I do now?

Regards
Reminiscence

umblefugly
03-12-2006, 05:53 PM
Just rename the .ez file to .zip Renderosity likes to play name games with zip files sometimes.

Reminiscence
03-16-2006, 07:03 PM
Thanks!!! Worked...

Regards
Reminiscence

CGTalk Moderation
03-16-2006, 07:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.