PDA

View Full Version : morph angle deformer(max)

levin
12-14-2002, 09:36 PM
do you use the morph angle deformer?

what does tha "angle" refer to?
on what axis is this angle based? or is it the angle of the parent and child bone on the axis pependicular to the plane they define?

if so then i cannot have different deformations on lets say 75deg on y (loc) and 75deg on z (loc) cuz they are of the same angle, yet different axis?

i hope this doesn't sound senseless....

Russo
12-15-2002, 05:16 PM
morph angle deformer is used to get a best rig on the joints, no wrong tensions or semthing like that, take a look at the Max user reference :rolleyes:

CarlosA
12-16-2002, 05:45 PM
:buttrock: :beer:
great aprouch man,
seems to have almost the same effect as a spline ik spine.
pretty neat aprouch.

Los.

LFShade
12-16-2002, 11:22 PM
I find the morph angle deformer seriously flawed in that it only respects flexion, not twisting. On a bone object, for instance, it will only work for the Y and Z axes, not the X axis. For twisting joints like the hip, shoulder, and forearm/wrist, the morph angle deformer is completely useless. And since there is no other really good way to deal with such joints in the Skin modifier, I'm always frustrated by the way these areas of my characters turn out while trying to animate :(

**EDIT**
Oops! Thought I should perhaps answer the original question while I'm complaining;)

The morph angle deformer allows you to set up morph deformation that occurs depending on the angle of a joint. It can be useful to remove the pinching that occurs at a joint like the elbow, and it can also be used to produce bulging muscles and tendons as a joint flexes.

To use it, select the vertices (in the Skin mod) that you want to be affected by the deformer, add the deformer, and click the edit button. In the deformer properties (the last rollout in the skin mod at that point), there will be a listbox containing a default orientation. Select this in the list and hit the "Add from stack" button. This sets up the "neutral" state of the joint.

Now, rotate the joint to whatever angle you want the maximum deformation to occur at, and add an Edit Mesh modifier to the top of the stack. Use the Edit Mesh to shape the joint area the way you want it to look at this angle. Then go back down into the Skin modifier, down to the deformer properties rollout (you may need to click the edit button with the deformer selected again). Click the "Add from stack" button again, and a second entry should appear on the list. At this point, the mesh will also go haywire; this is expected since the deformation is now being applied by the Skin modifier, and then again by the Edit Mesh. Just delete the Edit Mesh to bring things back to normal.

You can now test your deformation by rotating the joint back and forth. Pretty neat, huh? Keep in mind that you can set up a number of deformations, at a number of different angles of the same bone. Just repeat the steps of rotating the joint, adding an Edit Mesh, tweaking, add from stack (in Skin), delete Edit Mesh.

Of course, as I stated at the beginning of my post, it won't work for twisting joints. Other than that it's actually quite useful :)

CarlosA
12-16-2002, 11:53 PM
sorry guys, I meant to post the fisrt reply in an other topic,
but I but now that you mention it,
I have had very good luck with the morph angle deformer,
specially when using more than one morph target too tweak my animation.
do I have to say I have only used it for the folds on the upper legs against the waist and to fix booty stretch.
now one of the problems you might have is that the "get target form stack is pretty buggy" but by duplicating the mesh collapsing sculpting your desire form, and the using the "get from node"
it all seems to work well.
now, to answer the original question, the angle (morph target)
is based on the rotation angle of the bone you select, to dive the morph. exp. you might apply a morph angel to an elbow.
you would select the fore arm envelope, and the vertices round the elbow. the morph would be calculated by the angle formed by the forearm and the arm bone.
hope that helps.

as fore the Morphed being flawed, well I believe that to get real control over creases, discreet has to develop a more powerful way to edit creases other than morphs and lattices.
in Maya you can create influence geometry, that give you great control over your creases, by just scaling and tweaking a few polygonal shapes. that are then automated via set driven keys,
or in max language a reactor type controller.

levin
12-17-2002, 10:11 AM
yeah i add a modifier to the stack and delete it

but actually, what i was wondering is why it doesnt deform in the twist... well now you guys confirm that it really doesn't...

so this means NONE of the joint deformers are useful for ball joints?

why didn't they make it so it would just keep track of the rotations of the different axes? it would be easier to comprehend

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.