PDA

View Full Version : Question:good Mesh or good RIG?

levin
12-14-2002, 10:24 PM
what is more important, a good rig or a good mesh?
i mean can a good rig save a bad mesh? or is it really the geometry that drives the rig? of course it's always a compromise between the two, but which one is MORE important?

for example, the shoulder is probably the hardest to rig, real shoulder movement/deformation is not easy to achieve.

on a side note can you post a wireshot of the best shoulder,wrist,and pelvic/hip geometry you have seen or gotten hold of?

Tudor
12-16-2002, 01:17 PM
It all depends..
If you have a bad rig, its going to ruin the character.
If you have a good rig, but bad model, it is going to ruin the character.

Look first at what you need. Will there be closeups and lots of stills, or mostly fast movement all the time?
For fast motion I would say the rig is most important, as you only read the motion. For slow moving shots, keeping the mesh intact gets more important.

And how to model? Well.. I find the extreme pose each joint can do, and model the character at the middle. Least amount of distortion. And find a relaxed poly structure at that pose so it can stretch.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.