laureato di arte
03-03-2006, 10:20 AM
yea from the movie this time.

http://media.filmforce.ign.com/media/033/033915/img_3429833.html

other images here.

http://media.filmforce.ign.com/media/033/033915/imgs_1.html

A. Wright
03-04-2006, 06:22 AM
I wish they had updated the costume a little like they did w/ the spiderman costume in 1 and 2. The spandex thing is kinda lame now.....

Emmanuel
03-04-2006, 02:19 PM
Whoa, that looks *cheesy*.As if X-Men, Spider-Man or Batman Begins never happened :/
On one hand I am mildly interested in this movie (if its epic), on the other hand, boy, that costume sucks....of all the material that would look alien and fantastic, this looks like another diver suit, and the neck regio looks too empty, the guys eyebrows are too close together, and he looks too thin.

Xecode
03-04-2006, 02:25 PM
Neat how that whole article is written out, wonder who got that crap job.

Is it just me or does anybody else expect Kevin Spacey to go "Hey kent, you better watch your freakin self because this is one evil guy who does make house calls".

http://media.filmforce.ign.com/media/033/033915/img_3334660.html

After looking at that picture you know this movie is gonna suck. The best thing to remember abuot it is the teaser trailer.

innermindseye
03-04-2006, 02:51 PM
damn. u guys are hard to please. is anyone gonna give any non-hater constructive comments?? I too wondered about who would have worried about the layout for the newspaper, but i wouldnt have called that a crappy job.Would you not accept a job to be working on the superman feature film doing era styling? I know i would. And from searching your threads i see you would too.

eliseu gouveia
03-04-2006, 03:04 PM
I really hope it turns well

Things I like::
- Kevin Spacey as Lex
- top SFX
- Following up on Donnerīs films

Things I HATE:

- The suit sucks (and thatīs me being kind)
- Lois hooking up with a guy and having a kid the second Clark leaves on a camping trip SUCKS!
- Superman looks like Superboy

laureato di arte
03-04-2006, 03:07 PM
Neat how that whole article is written out, wonder who got that crap job.

they may not have had to write a whole article out. I remember one of the newspaper scenes in spiderman 1 , when paused i noticed that it was just a few paragraphs copied and pasted over and over again.

gunslingerblack
03-04-2006, 04:50 PM
where has it been said that lois has a kid???

chindian
03-05-2006, 10:21 AM
What the heck are they doing to my beloved childhood hero??? This movie looks like major suckage and will not do justice to the idea or theme of superman...
The costume seriously needs to get into the 21st century... I think a bit of an upgrade was in order - maybe something more ummm... how to say this.... less gay!!! It sucks. They could have well designed something a little more futuristic or something... come on! I mean - they did an ok job for Batman Begins with trying to modernize it...
Sigh...
I guess this looks like yet another superhero movie to fall by the wayside of something that could have been great, but unfortunately didnt live up to par...

I'm still going to see it just cuz i love Superman - but that doesnt mean I'm happy about it. Seriously though - I think a really good superman film is in order - especially with all the hype around Smallville now...
Why couldnt they use Tom Welling instead of that guy? He doesnt look the part...

Anywho - I'll stop complaining now...
-Chindian

laureato di arte
03-05-2006, 10:32 AM
What the heck are they doing to my beloved childhood hero??? This movie looks like major suckage and will not do justice to the idea or theme of superman...
The costume seriously needs to get into the 21st century... I think a bit of an upgrade was in order - maybe something more ummm... how to say this.... less gay!!! It sucks. They could have well designed something a little more futuristic or something... come on! I mean - they did an ok job for Batman Begins with trying to modernize it...
Sigh...
I guess this looks like yet another superhero movie to fall by the wayside of something that could have been great, but unfortunately didnt live up to par...

I'm still going to see it just cuz i love Superman - but that doesnt mean I'm happy about it. Seriously though - I think a really good superman film is in order - especially with all the hype around Smallville now...
Why couldnt they use Tom Welling instead of that guy? He doesnt look the part...

Anywho - I'll stop complaining now...
-Chindian
apparantly in the movie he has two costumes, the blue and read standard, and then the black suit that he uses to space travel, I cant remember what source I got that from though.

noisewar
03-05-2006, 10:46 AM
Why can they never give superheroes just a plain cotton/polyester costume instead of some kind of Olympian swimmer's high tech gear? I know his mom couldn't have sewn him that.

victor throe
03-05-2006, 11:16 AM
superman has never been a fave superhero of mine

but the costume could have done with some defining stitching or trim in places.

the guy is pretty huge, but with that blue, he just looks like a blob

digital verve
03-05-2006, 11:27 AM
The film can only be truly judged once it has been released. I have seen many post on various forums saying how a film is going to suck, then on release it turns out great. 'Finding Nemo' is an example of this. Brian Singer imo has proven himself as a good director (he is no Paul W S Anderson) and did a good (but not perfect) job on the other superhero franchise X-Men. I think Superman Returns is in a safe pair of hands, compared to the atrocity the film was going to be, before he came on board. I agree that the suit could be a lot better though.

Titan
03-05-2006, 02:48 PM
I would think that Singer knows that many comic/cg fans think the suit is dated. I dont know, but I'll bet that they make mention to the suit somewhere in the movie or maybe supes gets a new suit and it just hasnt been revealed through the trailers or anywhere else yet.
he did update the Xmen costumes after all....then again, maybe its just wishful thinking.

angel
03-05-2006, 03:13 PM
Why is the young Clark wearing glasses while running through the fields?

P_T
03-05-2006, 03:34 PM
Man, that is one Super Chin he has heh... The guy looks a bit soft for a Man of Steel, or maybe it's just the costume. However, I do like how they cast Kevin Spacey as Lex.

dalmanna
03-05-2006, 04:38 PM
check his shoulder pads when he's lifting the car look a bit odd or is that just me? why did they make the cape leather?

i loved the first two films when i was a kid so i'm quite happy with them keeping marlon brandos voice, but his suit looks like evil-superman in superman 3 with the dark reds and blues.

Emmanuel
03-05-2006, 04:40 PM
Why is the young Clark wearing glasses while running through the fields?

Come on Snows, apply a little movie logic here: if he would run without his glasses, people
would know he's Superboy !
Also, consider that his glasses are not really magnifying, they are just made of normal glas for disguise purposes !
Bottom line: it doesn't matter :) Unless he wears super cloth he would look like someone who just survived a sinking ship when he runs through that field at super speed.
I also agree with people who say a cloth costume would be just fine, maybe the collar should be higher or something to make it look more like a costume on purpose than just a pyjama, and the underwear above the trousers, well, I fear that#s impossible to explain logically, so they could have changed that alltogether.
After all, its the red-blue-gold coclour scheme that defines the suit, and the S, not the exact tailoring.
But its still better than yellow spandex.

Xecode
03-05-2006, 04:45 PM
Would you not accept a job to be working on the superman feature film doing era styling?

If they payed me a useful amount of money sure. Would I do it if I wasn't getting payed? To be honest I'd rather spend that precious time sitting around and doing nothing.

All I gotta do is go outside and build a castle out of books in my backyard and I'll be on TV, you don't see me runnin for my boots. The castle wouldnt even have to be good, just the fact that some idiot decided to take thousands of books and start building with them would do it.

Your dying to be apart of something millions of people put high up on a pedestal, so grab some books and get on it E.

Emmanuel
03-05-2006, 05:02 PM
http://www.supermanhomepage.com/images/superman-returns5/sr-ball-launcher-pack-tb.html

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/images/superman-returns5/sr-disc-launcher-pack-tb.html

After watching these two images, I think if he actually LOOKS like that in the movie, then okay.
If not, then they could have gone with some sort of rubber costume that was made like a body painting, very thin and following the contours of his body and exposing all the musclework.

Dreamabyss
03-06-2006, 09:46 AM
I wonder why they messed with the formula? Why change the color of his suit? Why have Lois Lane hook with someone else? Why have Superman be estranged from society? I think they are taking a lot of risks and I hope it pays off.

This movie is probably going to ruin the franchise. You only get one maybe two chances then the opportunity is gone. The only way it's going to work, is if the story is great and people have fun watching it AND it makes a lot of money. The general public isn't going to care what the costume looks like or whether Superman is dorky looking. But if the story sucks, and the cg sucks, then bye bye Superman for another 20-30 years. I don't have a good feeling...but I hope I'm wrong.

innermindseye
03-06-2006, 02:40 PM
damn. what they say about comic book fans is true. when i 1st saw the new superman, i was impressed. it can go wrong in so many places but theyve found someone who looks like the character, and theyve got a suit that looks like the suit. ???

i wouldnt have thought it mattered that much that the suit was darker. it looks like its was done to compliment the era and the look and grain of the films colour scheme.

obz
03-06-2006, 02:53 PM
Call me pessemistic, but I'm calling it now... Superman = Doomed.

Pentagramma
03-06-2006, 03:54 PM
I canīt wait to watch this film. Everything looks right to me, and Brian Synger has all my respect.

MattClary
03-06-2006, 06:02 PM
I have never been a big Super Man fan until I started watching Smallville. I really wish they would have used Tom Welling for this part.

djprinec
03-06-2006, 06:33 PM
Here are some widescreen wallpapers to cheer you guys up!!!

http://www.djprince.no/images/widescreen_sky.jpg

http://www.djprince.no/images/widescreen_superman.jpg

http://www.djprince.no/images/widescreen_lois_lane.jpg

More wallpapers here

http://www.djprince.no/supermanpage.htm

kind regards
djprince, norway
www.djprince.no (http://www.djprince.no)

Bael
03-06-2006, 06:52 PM
If they go through and 'enhance' his musculature, or at the least add some better contrast to the blue on his suit - it could work fairly well. In those shots you can't see any muscle, really, so he just looks like a huge blue blob. I would have liked the suit to have been updated a bit, but if they'd have done that just as many people would be complaining that they changed it. ;)

But, overall, I really don't expect much out of this movie.. I'll stick to watching Smallville.

ankheilw
03-06-2006, 07:05 PM
I think you guys are really rushing to judgement on this one. I realize that Superman is a huge and iconic figure in comic lore, but you are looking at a handful of pictures and slamming a 2-3 hour movie based on things like the FABRIC OF HIS SUIT!

So, why not try basing your opinions on something a little more than fashions sense. Did you like X-Men? Did you like X-Men 2? And the Usual Suspects, any chance you like that? Have you watched any interviews with Brian Singer where he talks about Superman and what it means to him? Bottom line, he is a HUGE fan of Superman, the lore, and the license and he has the utmost respect for the same things that you all do.

A movie is an experience, not just a series of still images. So, hold off the "HATE" and the "DOOMED" comments until you see the movie.

My 2 cents.

jussing
03-06-2006, 07:21 PM
LOL. "Waaa waaaa waaa"

"They didn't do this like I wanted, they didn't do that like I wanted".

Lots of spoiled brats talking.

They didn't change Superman's costume drastically, cause YOU CAN'T change Superman's costume drastically, then there'd be even more whining than the first page in this thread, that's why.

Sheesh.

This movie is looking exactly like Superman, and people are whining because they didn't "update it". What, you want it to be "updated" like Pink Panther and other remakes?? Nuh-uh!

:rolleyes:

"Ruin the franchise"? What franchise?? When was the last time you saw a good Superman movie? You think "Superman IV: The Quest for Peace" was good?

"Doomed"? How the hell can you tell that, from a few pictures that look exactly like old school Superman? If you never liked the way superman looked, why bother?

Kevin Spacey is looking bad? Did you guys see Gene Hackman's sidekick in the old movie?

And why is it wrong to hook up Lois Lane with someone else? The comic books didn't always repeat old stories, why should the movie?

The movie might suck, but I wouldn't know cause I didn't see it yet, and neither did any of you, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm not defending it, I'm just saying this whining is hilarious and ridiculous! Keep it coming, it's entertaining. :D :D :D

- Jonas

talos72
03-06-2006, 07:23 PM
I liked both the x-men (second one suprpassed the original) and the new Batman movies, but still think the costumes could have been done better. Sure the costumes are not everything, but people should also realize that these superhero characters are not like any other fictional character in a novel. These iconic figures owe much of their appeal to their visual representation: their costume is a part of who they are. This is due to the fact that the characters are borne of a visual medium, the comic book. That's why many fans are pretty sensitive about the design of the costumes, and that's why as a film-maker there is only so much "artistic license" you can take.

As much as I liked X2 and Batman Begins, I still have issues with their costumes. Spiderman seems to be the only film that really nails it with the costume design, and it is no accident because the director probably realized the best costume design is the one that ultimately reflects the comic book panels. I appreciate what Singer is trying to do with the Superman costume as a throwback to the 30's era Fleischer cartoons (in parts), but he could have either done a period Superman piece (a cool idea) or stuck more closely to the modern costume.

Thelvin
03-06-2006, 07:24 PM
Nicely put up there.

One thing it always amazes me is how much people hate and complain about a movie, even before it is release. Yet they all flock to the theaters, midnight showings, huge lines and all just to watch what they hated so much 3 months behind.

hmmm

SpiralFace
03-06-2006, 07:34 PM
I think people are expecting too much out of the people working on costume design on this film.

The way I see it, all the Superman pics show have not only exagerated musculature, but it has a clothing that is IMPOSSIBLE to make in reality. look at every pic of superman and look for A SINGLE WRINKLE on anything he wears. The onlything that ever folds over itself is his cape. People are saying how the divers suit does'nt show off his musculature but thats the reality of it. He's already wearing a muscule suit as is. The only way you can get it to the point its in the comic books is make sure the actor has a perfectly chizzled body, and just airbrush on the costume straight onto his bare chest. Its seriously the only way your going to get a costume that defines all the muscles without a single wrinkle or fold on him. I don't think its a flaw in the costume design for the movie as much as its a flaw in the costume design in itself.

Look at spiderman the movie. Sure his costume looked great, but it does'nt show off any kind of musculature compared to the comic book images of him. And Toby was in a muscule suit when he was makeing that movie. The trick with that is that it had webing and other means to show off the design, and hint at the musculature so not many noticed the loss of the defined musculature. And in the Batman movie, sure he had the body armor that defined the musules, and it worked well in that movie, but that whould'nt work for superman since the second he puts his hands in front of him to fly, the lack of movement in the pecks and other muscules whould look even cheezyer once its put in motion on the screen. Not to mention in batman, the body armor was given a semi gloss finish in order for the lighting to bounce off and show of the anatomy that was'nt even there. But I doubt people whould want to see a superman with a glossy costume iether.

So I seriosly think that this realy is the best they could do given the design. Short of iether airbrushing the costume on, or completly re-designing the comic book outfit to actualy work in the real world. (But I doubt re-designing it whould go well with the comic book geeks.

innermindseye
03-07-2006, 07:48 AM
I think people are expecting too much out of the people working on costume design on this film.

The way I see it, all the Superman pics show have not only exagerated musculature, but it has a clothing that is IMPOSSIBLE to make in reality. look at every pic of superman and look for A SINGLE WRINKLE on anything he wears. The onlything that ever folds over itself is his cape. People are saying how the divers suit does'nt show off his musculature but thats the reality of it. He's already wearing a muscule suit as is. The only way you can get it to the point its in the comic books is make sure the actor has a perfectly chizzled body, and just airbrush on the costume straight onto his bare chest. Its seriously the only way your going to get a costume that defines all the muscles without a single wrinkle or fold on him. I don't think its a flaw in the costume design for the movie as much as its a flaw in the costume design in itself.

Look at spiderman the movie. Sure his costume looked great, but it does'nt show off any kind of musculature compared to the comic book images of him. And Toby was in a muscule suit when he was makeing that movie. The trick with that is that it had webing and other means to show off the design, and hint at the musculature so not many noticed the loss of the defined musculature. And in the Batman movie, sure he had the body armor that defined the musules, and it worked well in that movie, but that whould'nt work for superman since the second he puts his hands in front of him to fly, the lack of movement in the pecks and other muscules whould look even cheezyer once its put in motion on the screen. Not to mention in batman, the body armor was given a semi gloss finish in order for the lighting to bounce off and show of the anatomy that was'nt even there. But I doubt people whould want to see a superman with a glossy costume iether.

So I seriosly think that this realy is the best they could do given the design. Short of iether airbrushing the costume on, or completly re-designing the comic book outfit to actualy work in the real world. (But I doubt re-designing it whould go well with the comic book geeks.

well said!!!

leejamesclark
03-07-2006, 08:17 AM
well i've been following this for a while now and unfortunately the more i see the more i worry about this. supermans always been my favorite and i was hoping this was going to be something special but i just dont see it happening.

i dont mind so much about the costume (although that might change IF i see it on the big screen) the 2 things that really get me is the casting and the story. They get a Pinup boy band member whos way to young looking to play superman, lois looks like his teen bride, parker posey is over the top and terrible in everything she does and as for lex..i'm a fan of spacy so i'm hoping he pulls its of but he does look to dr evil and if he plays it like gene hackman did it wont work. the whole smallville cast are better than any of these choices especially the guys playing lex and clark.

story wise i can see how its going to work. hes been away for 6 years and suddenly they both turn up at the same time and no gets suspisious becase martha kent has been sending out postcards (thats just what i've heard..i could be wrong). its supposed to be follow up to superman 2 but it completly ignore what happened in those films. he goes back to krypton and its still intact and yet in every film and comic book it exploded. theres just to many inconsistencies.

i hope i'm wrong but for now i dont see smallville needing to worry. i have said all this before and sorry to repeat myself on here but i was hoping things were going to change..

laters

eek
03-07-2006, 08:34 AM
This is looking pretty perfect in my book, great casting of everyone - even as a kid. The costume is clean and pretty nicely executed. Its reministent of the early superman. The good old days. Great, i can wait for this!

Mu
03-07-2006, 08:37 AM
I think the best thing would have been to just leave him with only the boots and the cape (and maybe a whiff of glitter on the chest)

Superman (or SUPERMAN as his name would always be capslocked in the comics) together with Tarzan was my first comic experience and I loved it at the time. But I soon discovered more interesting heroes like Batman esp. and also Spidey.

The suit? I think the only way would be to shoot the man naked and cloth him in CG. I have always been disgusted with comics going movies, because I could not get rid of all the imagery I held so dearly. I mean with a book you replace the words with images. With a comic you replace images with new images. But lovers of the comic just love the images they know. It does not work for me.

God how I hate all the Batman movies. I could not bring myself round to watching that last one though I am told it is completely different. I am scared.

Sometimes late at night I tune in to that crap tv channel which broadcasts a 70s serial of "Lone Wolf and Cub" and whenever I see that fat guy acting Ogami Itto I get so sad. It is not going to work... for the suit alone: It is never going to look any more impressive than that....:

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/9571/indiansuperman12vy.jpg

or that...

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/8555/superman5co.jpg

satanatron
03-07-2006, 08:41 AM
Somethings you can pull off in a comic that just look wrong on film. A belt for your undies is one of them. Not hating on the movie (because I haven't seen it blah, blah ,blah), but the costume looks lame.

laureato di arte
03-07-2006, 10:15 AM
i like this one

http://media.filmforce.ign.com/media/033/033915/img_3436175.html

P_T
03-07-2006, 11:49 AM
Toby was in a muscule suit when he was makeing that movie.

I dunno if they actually added some paddings on him in the spidey suit but in the first movie, in the scene where he's checking himself out in the mirror the next morning after he got bitten, his body is actually quite muscular.

Personally, I don't really mind his costume design since the whole superman look has become an icon. The only problem is, they should've pumped that dude out and get a bit more muscle definition.

OT: For me, western superheroes who seem to wear their undies on the outside cliche is funnier than any of the anime cliches. :scream:

General Midi
03-07-2006, 12:23 PM
Ahhhh....Hollywoods creativity.....

Leave it to them to make a refreshing movie for once.....

:twisted:

CGTalk Moderation
03-07-2006, 12:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.