PDA

View Full Version : Help...

BradMick
03-04-2002, 12:02 PM
Allrighty...here's my dilema...

Where do I start when wanting to model a head? I'm using LightWave 7 and tried to do the whole model the shape with a cube and then hit tab to make it all rounded....it didn't work...tried splines, I did something horribly wrong there to. Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

Brad McKinstry

Galo
03-04-2002, 01:34 PM
Sorry dude, RTFM first then....

good luck :D

BradMick
03-04-2002, 08:56 PM
What??? RTFM?

Galo
03-04-2002, 09:12 PM
Thats not the right word for it, i wanted to say "read the *** manual".

never mind that.

I recommend you to keep modeling and modeling until your models look right after pushing the tab button :)

this has nothing to do with lichtwave anyway, modeling is modeling, for maya/max/ts/lw its all the same.....

the program doesnt make the artist, if you can model you can model in any program, you only have to learn the tools.

so i suggest you start looking for a buch of tutorials about modeling and study them first

kind regards
Galo

BradMick
03-04-2002, 09:23 PM
It'd help if I had the manual. I don't, so that kinda makes it hard to Read The F****** Manual. :D Tutorials are kinda hard to find, and being as new to LightWave as I am, it's kinda hard to do things still. Would I ask the question if I actually knew what I was doing? No... Anyway, your advice is nothing more than what i've allready tried. Thanks anyway... sarcasm just doesn't help beginners, it actually pisses them off...

Brad McKinstry

ToddG
03-04-2002, 10:09 PM
have you checked out this thread:

"Awesome Lightwave Artist with Tutorial for sale"

its a head tutorial you can purchase. i have one on my site at

http://www.evil-plan.com/Tutorials.html

its not as detailed as i'm sure the commercial one is but hey . . .

also this site is loaded with LW stuff:

http://members.home.com/lightwavetutorials

-todd

Chewey
03-04-2002, 10:27 PM
Go to the Newtek ftp site and you can download the pdf version of the manual.

ftp.newtek.com/pub/Patches/LightWave_Support/lw65b

I would NOT recommend spline modeling in lightwave until you figure out the basics first. Your tab problem sounds like a config file problem. Learn how to remap your key stroke assignments by reading the manual and you'll probably get the tab key to work again for subd toggling.

Mike RB
03-04-2002, 10:30 PM
RTM is a totally acceptable answer, if you dont think so take a read through this:

http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

BradMick
03-04-2002, 10:30 PM
Thank you guys, the help is greatly appreciated!

After a while I hope to be able to actually model a head, that'd be very nice as I have several scenes I want to do, but can't model people, so I can't have all the cool infantry guys supporting my tanks in burnt out city scapes...when that'll all come together, i'm not sure. :)

Thank you again!

Brad McKinstry

Rabid pitbull
03-05-2002, 06:10 AM
i wonder why he doesn't have the manual..

Mike care to guess?

i guess 1.......

Chewey
03-05-2002, 08:27 AM
Perhaps the other option... the one where the manual has been partially consumed by a pet.

meloncully
03-05-2002, 08:29 AM
i think that pitbull and chewey have some acceptable reasons to why he doesnt have the manual. I go with pitbull though, reason 1 from mikerb

________
meloncully

BradMick
03-05-2002, 05:21 PM
Thanks for all the help, I actually modeled an eye socket, then like an idiot forgot to save it...heh...oh well....

and I never said read the manual is an unacceptable answer....as to my reasons.... lets say the manual had a nasty run-in with my cat and a paper shredder....

Brad McKinstry

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.